It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin: U.S. Policies Create Arms Race

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   
This article discusses Putin's speech in front of a conference on NATO, War on Terror, Iraq and other Western issues facing Russia. Putin claims that the US is the reason why even more countries wish to go Nuclear. In the article he states we are "nourishing" another nuclear build up amongst "smaller nations."

www.forbes.com
Russian President Vladimir Putin warned Saturday that the United States' increased use of military force is creating a new arms race, with smaller nations turning toward developing nuclear weapons.

Speaking at a conference of the world's top security officials, including the Iranian nuclear negotiator Ali Larijani, Putin said nations "are witnessing an almost uncontained hyper use of force in international relations."

"One state, the United States, has overstepped its national borders in every way," he told the 250 officials, including more than 40 defense and foreign ministers.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'm not sure how to interpret this article, and I think that was the goal of Putin. Should we take it as a warning, is Russia attempting to back Iran in this upcoming conflict? Or should we take this as more of the same rhetoric from the worlds largest Mob Boss?
Ever since Bush said he looked into Putin's eyes and knew he could trust him, I knew we could not. Putin's a snake and he is KGB so he is probably still strongly in support of communist ideals.
What an audacious comment the leader of Russia is giving the US!!!! Like Russia doesn't bear any responsibility with the build up of nuclear weapons amongst these "smaller countries" Could this be Putin's way of saying that Russia will one way or another back Iran during a conflict?

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
i just think he is seeing the nwo using usa to thrust its goals around the world. he knows the nwo is run from europe, and thats why he makes refernce to them also. but he does have a good go at the usa.

putin is smart enough to know what goes on behind the scenes and he knows there is some big push towards a global state, and he is just saying he does not want part of it.

also the recent killing of that geezer in england and being blamed on putin, may of been someone trying to frame him, to make him look bad, and his comments may be in anger of this incident. plus also the fact that usa is putting defences in eastern europe again.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
The cold war maybe over, but I think Russia will use ANY Excuse to take a swip at the US.
Yes, the US anti missle defence in eastern europe puts a big of an advantage of hte USA's side,
but it really doesnt change the fact that should the two go to war, it would devestate both countries.

Russia, is simply jumping on the bandwagon.

The World is po'd at america atm, and it always serves russia's interests to amplify that.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Putin may be as guilty as the US of some practices like trying to keep its old soviet block countries still under russias power and some other invasive manuvers around the world like in chechnya and georgia.

However this does not mean that his comments are not without merit or logic. The US is currently at war in Iraq and they are also on the other side of Iran in Afganistan I think what this is saying is that because of the US being in both Iraq and Afganistan and having a very bitter relationship with Iran that this is causing Iran to want to seek Nuclear weapons to protect itself from the US. Think about it I mean granted Iran is not a bastion of liberties and prosperity but if say China was in Mexico and at war in Canada how would that make the US feel (obviously it takes quite a bit of imagination for the scenario).

I take his comments to be that Iran wanting to pursue nuclear weapons has alot to do with the US being in Iraq and in Afganistan and not having the least bit of diplomatic relations with Iran.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Obviosuly, If a country such as the US is staring at you with evils, while preparing its military on your coastline, your going to be seeking a defense.
And the best defense is Nuclear weapons.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Well it also keeps the Miltary Industrial Complex in full swing. It saddens me that people make millions out of misery.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   
You are probably right DC, however Putin talking as a "moral compass" for the wold is a joke. This is the pot calling the kettle black. Putin is a Mob Boss more than he is a president of a country. Putin shouldn't talk about diplomacy when it is well known the KGB is still going around and killing people like Litvinyenko.

I would love to ask Putin if the Iranians had any interest of pursuing nuclear weapons before the US was in Afghanistan and Iraq and the answer is YES, thus disproving his entire argument. The Iranians were hiding their peaceful nuclear program from the IAEA for over 10 years!
Putin knows his argument is not based on any fact, and is thus just trying to intensify America's conflicts. The US can not afford to sit back and let Putin bad mouth it's billion dollar war effort.
By making statements like that Putin HIMSELF is responsible for starting another arms race between Russia and the US how can we trust a jerk like that.

[edit on 11-2-2007 by Low Orbit]

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Low Orbit

Dont get me wrong I place Putin in the same circle that I place Chavez, Bush, Ademinjad of all being negative influences on the world and moving us backwards especially on liberties, free economy and a democratic process. I wouldnt say Putin is a mob boss so much as he is using mob tactics, his country does afterall have an organized crime infrastructure of power and wealth unlike any other in the world (thanks largely in part to his predeccors) so he may have to behave in a different way than we are used to in a leader. (nothing has been proven yet in the litvinyenko case)

Iran may have had nuclear aspirations well before 9/11, though it could have been one with civillian purposes since it has been said by many notable scientists and engineers that Irans oil and gas infrastructure is on the decline and they may need to have this as a method of power generation. Though Iran is lead by some vile and backwards groups, us being in both Afganistan and Iraq has given them cause for concern and if they were all along looking to become a nuclear weapons power, it has given them a sense of urgency and purpose.

This could be solved IMO by the US being the bigger of the two and making a first step approach at having diplomatic relations like the Iraq study group strongly recomended. Its a simple matter tell Iran that Israel is here to stay that they are working with the palestinians to give them an independent country. We have the full support of Israel since it is a democratic country in the middle of a region that is anything but. Then we will reassure them that we have no desire or interest in invading them or attacking them so long as they dont do the same and that they can have huge influence over Iraq but in a positive way not supplying radicals and making the other sects feel insecure. Plus we will go along with the international community helping them build and maintain a truly civilian nuclear base.

I dont know maybe im naive or unaware of some deep seeded issues but I do see this being solved with the US being the bigger man and taking the first step, and I dont see Iran scoffing or spitting on America should it approach them since that will be seen in the world as Irans fault 100% and would be cause for scorn by their allies.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Iran has had nuclear aspirations for some time. The US will not negotiate with terrorists, and since Iran funds terrorism, the US will not sit down at the negotiating table until they break ties with such groups. Since Iran is unwilling to break suck ties their nuclear sites are going to get bombed. Here is the formula government + ties to terrorism = War with US allies.
Radical Islam isn't going to change itself DC, something is going to have to give and I guarantee it won't be the US here. How the rest of the world thinks it's ok to get exploited by these guys is beyond me.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Increased use of military force is creating a new arms race, with smaller nations turning toward developing nuclear weapons.

This quote is very clear when it comes to which countries will be looking for the development of nuclear weapons. We know that so far oil producing countries that are not friendly to the US policies will be more readily to have something to defend themselves and their resources in view of What the present administration has done in Iraq.

Putin said nations "are witnessing an almost uncontained hyper use of force in international relations."

Can anybody deny that the bush administration is using force rather than diplomatic avenues when it comes to Iran and before with Iraq? Already we have seen the results of invading Iraq, now we are witnessing the same events moving toward Iran . . .should force be the first choice when it comes to the dealings with other nations?

"One state, the United States, has overstepped its national borders in every way,"

Can anybody deny that this statement is wrong? After all the bush administration has taken hold of the middle east through Iraq and possibly Iran next and pretty much Bush likes to dictate what countries are in its list of axils of evil.

At the end, countries that see the way the US administrations are dealing in the Middle East will try anything to protect their resources and sovereignty.

One other thing that is going on that have other nations worry about US Purpose in the middle east and the world is the way that the bush administration has used or misused international laws that were set with the purpose to protect the sovereignty of nations against invasions. . .

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Like it or not Putin is right. Those of you who buy into bush minor's simplistic rhetoric, this is probably above your head so go watch the Simpson's or something...this won't take long.

It simply does not matter if North Korea or Iran are aspiring nuclear powers or not, once they had been labeled as part of an "axis of evil" by the apex of stupidity, all reasons for them to sit down and talk went right out the window.... especially after they saw what happened to Iraq. Some might see that it would give them reason to talk but that is not the way real politik works. These countries concluded, perhaps rightfully that it was in their best interest to arm and arm fast, and in the terms of real politik they would be amiss not to do so. Iran especially.

What I am afraid of is that bush minor is trying the same tactics they used to sell the Iraq war with, and if they fail to convince the people they are going to go ahead and attack regardless of what congress says about it. An attack on Nuclear sites would be the height of foolhardiness...the resulting release of radiation would be a globally criminal act and even if there isn't; we would be the aggressor (again) and Iran would have every right to retiliate.

If I were the leadership of Iran, with two carrier groups in the gulf and a third on the way with the gearing up rhetoric from Washington; i would be busy buying a few nuclear's from Pakistan or N. Korea and test one quickly.

So yes Putin is correct.... You do not make the world safer by waging relentless war. For the other countries... the incentive becomes to arm and arm quickly and to arm hard.

For those who say we don't talk with those who support terrorists... we have done so many times (supported terrorists) and have no moral ground to stand on in this matter; especially since bush minor has squandered the global good will that was ours in the aftermath of 9/11.

[edit on 12-2-2007 by grover]

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Russia wants to talk about starting an arms race!!!! These are the people that have sold everything from small arms and RPGs to ballistic missiles to known terrorist states. They also continued to build ballistic missiles even after the collapse of the soviet bloc. The US has not built a new land based ICBM since the end of the cold war. Russia is one of the biggest arms dealers and weapons technology suppliers in the world.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
Russia wants to talk about starting an arms race!!!! These are the people that have sold everything from small arms and RPGs to ballistic missiles to known terrorist states. They also continued to build ballistic missiles even after the collapse of the soviet bloc. The US has not built a new land based ICBM since the end of the cold war. Russia is one of the biggest arms dealers and weapons technology suppliers in the world.

While it is the pot calling the kettle black for sure; Russia may be ONE of the biggest arms dealers, but we ARE the worlds biggest arms dealer. As for ballistic missiles with all the 10's of thousands in our arsenal... we could go decades longer without building another one and still have more than anyone else.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Let's not forget, just by saying something like this Putin himself could be setting off another Cold War. After all one does not yell fire in a crouded movie theater. Putin is stirring the pot with no alternative purpose other than to strengthen Russia and weaken the US. Well, if Putin was a poker player, he would suck, because he has already shown us his cards. Putin, you are one of those "smaller nations" you referred to in the OP and by making self destructive statements like this your nation is just getting smaller.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Sounds more like he is telling it like it is.... all this talk from this administration as well as its dittoheads about causing another cold war with comments like that are more akin to...... "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain" for the simple reason is that such comments distract from the truth....THE WAR ON TERROR IS LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE bush minor HAS DONE...A DISASTER FOR THIS COUNTRY.

top topics

join