It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Can't See My Avatar

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Can you?

I can see everyone else's.

This sucks.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 09:16 AM
link   
You exceeded the monthly allowance of hits from photobucket... short of hosting somewhere else you can't do anything about it..or stop letting people view it so much lol

[edit on 10-2-2007 by Arkangel4time]

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arkangel4time
You exceeded the monthly allowance of hits from photobucket... short of hosting somewhere else you can't do anything about it

I'm sorry-- could you explain that like you're talking to a five year old?

I have no idea what you said.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Well it looks like it is photobuckets problem, you could host you avatar on imageshack.us... or just up load to your members upload space here on ATS.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 09:26 AM
link   
ok I can try

You have your avatar uploaded to the site photobucket.com...it is a free site but they have a monthly quota on the number of views that account can have on photobucket.

each time someone loads a page here(or anywhere else you use it) it is a "view" so if you are on many forums or are viewed a lot here then your monthly allowance is used faster.

This is what I see on your avatar:

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   
HH, if you send it to me i'll host it for you.

sanc

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Ok, I think I got it.

Thanks guys.

I'm gonna go try it now and if I have any problems, I'll just come back to this thread and post again.

Thanks again.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   
It seems to be bouncing back and forth between your av and the exceeded bandwidth image.

Your welcome to use this if you'd like.

[edit on 10-2-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Yay!!!

Thank you so much, 12m8keall2c, and everyone else who helped me!

This is why I love ATS- a wealth of information right at your fingertips.

btw, 12m8keall2c, I love your avatar, and what is an "av"?

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   

and what is an "av"?

Av is short for Avatar,

Feel free to u2u me if you have any questions, always happy to help,

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
Feel free to u2u me if you have any questions, always happy to help,

Thank you, but you might be opening a can of worms, there... I have a lot of questions.

And thanks on the 'av' thing. 12m8keall2c told me what it meant behind the scenes. I felt appropriately dumb for not getting it. This is the first message board I ever joined, so there's a lot of jargon I'm just learning.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   
lol no worries, you are with a fellow un Tech person here,

Im still learning terms lol,

Ask the other mods lol if i get a tech question i have to pass it along

And i often have to use the quote *Talk to me like im 5* lol

So plese never feel like you cant ask something, if i cant answer it ill find you someone that can

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   
The avatar was hosted on my photobucket account which has strangely exceeded it's bandwidth limit. I get 10 GB/month which is plenty. I think someone may have flooded my account or something.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Umbrax, don't worry about it.

You were kind enough to give me an avatar. It should be my responsibility to figure out the 'upkeep.'

About the flooding your account, how would someone do that? Just curious.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by HarlemHottie

About the flooding your account, how would someone do that? Just curious.

I'm not totally sure of the means to do it but I guess they would have to open a webpage that has a lot of images of mine on it, be it here on ATS or my blog. Then they would keep refreshing the page.
Like I said I'm not sure if that is what happened but I find it hard to believe that I've really exceeded my bandwidth limit.
It happened to me once before more than a year ago. This is only the second time I've ever exceeded my limit with them.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
The bandwidth usage issue wouldnt' be some sort of attack, it'd mean that,and this can easily happen with ats, you'd have lots of people viewing your avatar, thus accessing that url that its hosted at.

12m8keall2c gave you a link, but remember:

All ATS members have their own ATS upload space.

It is perfect for avatars, it won't break unless the board itself is down, in which case, it doesn't even matter.

The member upload space is in the Member Center. Its the third option down in the black menu, which is this link:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

You have a good amount of space for 'free'. IF you use it up, you can get more space by using ATS points.

Here, for example, are two of my avatars from my member upload space:

and

And you can use it for any images:

Or even to upload some documents:

files.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 10-2-2007 by Nygdan]

[edit on 10-2-2007 by Nygdan]

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
The bandwidth usage issue wouldnt' be some sort of attack, it'd mean that,and this can easily happen with ats, you'd have lots of people viewing your avatar, thus accessing that url that its hosted at.

Attack or not I find it strange. This is only the second time it has happened to me and I've hosted through photobucket for two years now. I find it hard to believe that I've legitimately broken my 10 GB limit.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
I find it hard to believe that I've legitimately broken my 10 GB limit.

Are you still making new avatars? I remember you said that you were going to stop making them for other people, but did you? If you're still making them, maybe that's it.

And, your new avatar is cool... scary, but cool.

Nygdan, I figured that out, about the upload space, this morning. I was happily surprised. Like I said before, this stuff is Greek to me. In fact, I'm probably better at Greek than I am at this whole computer thing. I just feel fortunate that, the majority of times, at least, my posts manage to show up. Other than that, and you're asking too much of me.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by HarlemHottie

Are you still making new avatars? I remember you said that you were going to stop making them for other people, but did you? If you're still making them, maybe that's it.

My avatar thread hasn't seen a post since October.
I had to put avatar making on the shelf because I'm too busy with my blog and moderating the forums here. That and there is plenty of other talent people can go to if they want a custom avatar.
On my avatar thread I put up an offer to make background images. Since those cost ATS points I thought it would slow down my "business" I was right since I haven't had anyone take up the offer

And, your new avatar is cool... scary, but cool.

Thanks. I'll probably have it up for another week or so 'till the movie has been out for a few days.

As for the hosting issue it is always good to try and host your own images on ATS or through a free service like photobucket or imageshack. If the image you are using is hosted by someone else you never know what might happen.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I have noticed a lot of Member Userbars also say "Bandwidth Exceeded"

Are those userbars on your Photobucket account, Umbrax?

This could possibly explain some of it??

With all the members that sport userbars, it might be better to host the userbars here maybe.

2 cents

The ATS Userbar thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 2/10/2007 by Mechanic 32]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join