It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another KFC rant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Today just sucked. It started out that I got called in to work a 2-9 shift at KFC. I was called an hour before I had to be there, so I had little time. My uniforms were still in the dryer. So I jumped in the shower to quickly clean up, started getting my stuff together, got dressed in a somewhat wet uniform, and started my walk to the store (have no car but the store is about a block away).

So I got to the store, early as usual, and started doing my usual thing, cleaning the loby, preping it for the 5pm rush, making sure everything is stocked like buckets, containers for our side dishes, lids, plats, sauces, etc.
Now normaly, anyone who is scheduled to work till nine, is deemed the "Loby Bit

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Now now Slash. I used to be a team leader for our esteemed YUM corporation. (your corporate master in case you didnt know).

Although your rant is well deserved, it doesnt mean it encompasses the world and that all your rants are the end of things. Just the opposite is true. As a team leader, I dealt with all the stuff you describe and then some. I heard all the messages you describe and heard everything else that frets you when it comes to working the front line.

Don't take the fast food business so seriously, you must still be young and have a whole life ahead of you besides chicken that happens to have a namesake of being connected to Kentucky (which probably is making more out of a recipe than it deserves).

Anyway, take your job just serious enough to laugh and learn and use what you find to set higher goals to having future work and education that will be more rewarding.

Just my advice....been there and done that. Good luck out there wherever you are!

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Yes you are right, It was just a bad day for me and I just needed to vent, thanks for reading.
My rant wasn't ment to be the end of things, just ranting in general about all the stupid people I've met, customer wise. What store did you work at? I hear that YUM is really expanding, my store is about to become a combined KFC A&W. Though we're really kicking butts of the other fast food places on our block (we're number 53 in the state out of 300 something for a reason).

Being such a good store, I have to take my job seriously, so that we can do better, and my positive attitude has had a real impact as my manager has told me. Well it's not that I have to, but I want to, I like to make people smile and happy. Though I'm really laid back and joke around with the other crew members. When I started work back in October, our rank was around 130. A month later we shot to rank 72, and now we're holding steady at 53.

Another thing that happened yesterday was that the district manager, Dan, came in while we were getting rushed. Everyone is kinda skittish around him. He started helping us out and packing orders. When ever he comes in, I almost have a panic attack when I'm working. Trying not to mess up, doing everything in a certin way. But it wasn't that bad, I was so wound up at the front that I didn't even really seem to notice Dan untill after he left about an hour later. Constant 2 and a half hour rush, good buisness.

Today wasn't that bad however, I was called in an hour early with only an hour to get ready, again. A 1-9 shift. But I did my thing, my stepdad had the day off so I got to use the car. Today was prety slow, weird for a saturday. However, at around 7pm, I was packing and taking orders by my self at the front, the other 3 were working on the drivethrough. I was going really fast, faster then I've ever gone before. My team mates looked at me a few times in shock, one even joked with me and asked if I was on crack lol. I was going faster then some of the 2 year veterans that I work with. I was able to take my break at about 7, then started on the loby and got that done real quick. So today turned out to be real good. Theres the good days as well as the bad, which is just true for anything.

Thanks again for reading Ben, I think I'm really starting to get the hang of things, but am kinda stressed that there is going to be an A&W put in soon, and our store is really small. I just don't see how they're going to fit everything in there, and on top of that, I'm going to have to learn a whole new menu and how to prepare the various burgers, sides, rootbeer floats, ect.

[edit on 11-2-2007 by Slash]

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slash
What store did you work at?

Thanks again for reading Ben, I think I'm really starting to get the hang of things, but am kinda stressed that there is going to be an A&W put in soon, and our store is really small. I just don't see how they're going to fit everything in there, and on top of that, I'm going to have to learn a whole new menu and how to prepare the various burgers, sides, rootbeer floats, ect.

I live in Dayton, OH so that is where the store was at....right off the highway. It is a LJS/A&W, so I know what you're in for with the A&W menu. I think if I am correct you will have a limited menu and not their full menu so it will certainly be easy for you. Hot dogs and hamburgers and french fries basically.......maybe onion rings and cheese curds (which are just cheese sticks). The equipment doesn't take up that much space. A small broiler, a small reach in freezer, a hot dog cooker that rolls them like at a convenience store and a bun toaster.......thats all we really had. Some of their stuff utilizes LJS stuff as well.

I don't work there anymore though. Unfortunately a few bad apples at our store abused things causing the GM to be fired and replacing her with a new crew from another store, and she did everything by the book, whether it made sense or not. It used to be fun. We took service and quality seriously but still enjoyed working there, but after our new GM came on board, it became like a prison with strict rules and such. Not my kind of environment so I moved on to getting back into my real areas of expertise, not fast food (which I only took on temporarily to get on my feet).

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Ahh I hear you, I live in Aurora Colorado, a few mile south east of Denver, and I've can't recall seeing an A&W store aroud here, so I can immagine that we would only serve half the menu. Half the menu puts my mind at ease. KFC's menu is vast in it's choices. You want some hot wings? I can combo it to add a medium drink and a small side order of your choice (which causes me to push many buttons on the touch screen).

I have noticed that we already have a hot dog turner in the kitchen that is never used, or at least, has never been used since I started working there. Which confused me because for the past 15 years that I've lived here, this store was strictly a KFC, and in working there, the equipment looked aged. I'll ask my manager about it. I'm not sure about serving french fries as KFC already has potato wedges. But it could happen. Onion rings and cheese curds I can see being implemented into our store, maby more items I'm not sure as I'm not familiar with A&W's menu.

Your manager was replaced? Man that sucks. I would hate to have that happen. My manager is really cool, he has 15 years experiance under his belt, is really nice, funny, and in general, just one of the guys. But he has a keen eye at spoting the bad apples, we're getting ready to fire a girl because she is a drama queen. I can see why store managers, or GMs, are afraid of the district managers, you have to do things by the book. Our DM is a hard ass from what I've heard, but when I talk to him, he seems happy and professional, good spirit that guy has. My main fear has been having a hard ass come in to manage the store and making work for the crew painful. I enjoy my job, my co-workers, manager, and I all goof around when we're not busy, but get on the ball when we have customers. That work environment is great!

I wish I could get a better job, but at age 22, I still don't know what I want to be, now that I've grown up. So I'll just take my time, save some money and get a car, then maby somthing will pop up. Man, I use to think that life was impossible for me, but it's slowly sinking in that I just need to buckle down and take care of the BS. I'm thinking more clearly, can plan better, and am finding out more and more about what I need in order to survive. The world revolves around money dont ya know lol.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slash
I wish I could get a better job, but at age 22, I still don't know what I want to be, now that I've grown up. So I'll just take my time, save some money and get a car, then maby somthing will pop up. Man, I use to think that life was impossible for me, but it's slowly sinking in that I just need to buckle down and take care of the BS. I'm thinking more clearly, can plan better, and am finding out more and more about what I need in order to survive. The world revolves around money dont ya know lol.

Well don't feel bad. IMO, most young people don't know exactly what they want to do. Sometimes they do and find out it isn't what they thought it would be and sometimes life works out just like they thought. Like the movie Forrest Gump, life truly is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you are going to get.

But, I think as long as you are content there isn't a whole lot more you can ask for. Just watch out for the times when you want a change but have no clue what you are looking for. Those are times when you usually make bad decisions. Step back and think enough to make up your mind.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Slash,

It feels good to finally read about another person's annoyances with the food service industry. Although I've never technically worked fast food, I worked at a movie theatre for 9 months, and am almost at my year and a half mark at Starbucks. The things your describing sound so much like the things I go through. It's refreshing to hear someone with similar stories. Even though Starbucks is a million times better a job than the movie theatre, we still have our share of irritating customers, GMs, DMs, etc. I totally can't stand snobby customers (And trust me, we get A LOT of them at Starbucks) who think that you're some kind of robot that's supposed to magically wade through a long line in a matter of seconds. Most of the time, our customers at Starbucks are really cool. I get to joke around a lot, and we have a lot of regular customers that we know by name, they know us, etc. But oh man, ever once in a while we have that customer. There have been a few, but the first story that comes to mind took place about 6 months ago.

I was on bar, which means I was making drinks. A customer had ordered and iced caramel machiatto. For those of you that don't know, an iced caramel machiatto is vanilla syrup, milk, ice, espresso, and caramel. It's typicall layered so that the milk and syrup is on the bottom, and the ice, espresso, and caramel are on top (We also have a hot one, but I'm sure you can use your imagination.) Sometimes, though, people get it mixed up. We call that melted, but there are a lot of different words for it. Melted, upside down, mixed, blended, the list goes on. Anyway, I get finished making the drink, hand it to the customer, and he says "No, I wanted that blended." The way he said it led me to ask the question "Blended as in mixed together? Or did you want a Frappuccino (Blended ice drink. People get confused and say the wrong thing all the time, so it's a perfectly legit question.)" "No," he says, "I wanted it blended." I ask one more time, just to be sure, because that's the nice guy I am. "So, you want me to actually dump this into the blender and blend it up like a frappuccino?" He says "yes." Couldn't possibly be more direct, right? Sure, it's a bit unorthodox...actually it's extremely unorthodox. At that point, I'd been there about a year and this was the first, maybe the second person I've ever had request that from me. No matter, though, the customer is always right. So I do what the guy says, pour the drink into the blender, blend it, put it back into the cup, and give it to him. He stands there, puts in his straw, shakes his head and sighs. He won't look me in the eyes though - they never do. It must have took courage to say what he said. He asks "What days do you work?" I explain to him that it's pretty random, and I work anytime they need me, any day. I ask, "why?" and he says "Because now I know better" and walks away.

To a lot of people, that wouldn't be too frustrating, but people who know what it's like to go through something like that know it's infuriating! The nerve of that jerk to say that to me after I've been so damn nice to him and put up with his stupid requests...ugh! I know I shouldn't let it get to me, but it did. I felt like going around the counter, knocking that drink out of his hand, and throwing him out of the store. Of course, I would lose my job, but it'd be damn satisfying!

Thanks for actually reading through that mess if you did. I tend to write a lot more than I originally intend...

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Hello,

This was my first job that I started in early August of 2005 at age 16. I was so happy when my supervisor said, "Your in!" After my first interview. At first I started as a cook which was good except I (in my mind) wanted to be up front. Though, I have explained to my supervisor that it'd be best that I start off in the back of the store and work my way up over time. So she got someone to train me for about 2 weeks. It was fun! Having to work officially for customers. Of course at the start, I couldn't really handle carrying a chicken cage as I do recently. It was heavy! But as weeks grew into months of work, I advanced myself very well. Still a cook, but not just a cook. I have this goal that I set every day at work: To learn from my mistakes by working more efficiently with less effort, but with better quality. And I mean, quality literally. I was working Part-Time from 5:00 to 11:00 (sometimes 12:00). I have gotten so good that when I arrived at work, dressed into my uniform and put on my apron, I walked to greet everyone with positive enthusiasm. As I enter the kitchen, the day cooks shift was almost over. I assisted cooking during the rush hour until the day cook left and the orders slowed. Finally, it was "my time!" I went to get my favorite cleaner upper, handy-dandy degreaser spraybottle, loaded it up with the chemicals and hot water and began cleaning up for close (lol). Everything every day, improved. As I got better, I finished earlier, from a half-hour to 1 hour to 2 to 3 hours than to 4 hours before close. That is how good I got with this goal. I earned respect from the staff and the manager. He said, "You are the best cook and a nice guy, don't tell anyone I said that."

I gained a new position from FSW (Food Service Worker) to CSW (Customer Service Worker) and worked up front. At first I found it extremely different and byfar boring. It was like there was nothing to do. I was so use to the kitchen, that comparing it to the front, I found that the job I had in FSW was much harder.

Still I worked back in the kitchen. I was proud to, because I delivered quality cooked chicken "the way its mean to be cooked" from the book. Most cooks I know, do not obey the rules. They bend them by rinsing the chicken in bloody water to carelessly cleaning up. I am absolutely glad I can take over for the days I work so I can feed much healthier cooked food to customers. I still work as fast as the careless cooks do, infact I have improved so much that I work easier. My new guideline I learnt was, "Clean on the Go!"

From one manager saying I am the best cook, to the next manager "Shirley", brought a smile to my face. However, I frown to customers who have to eat poorly cooked chicken by others. It makes me want to say to them, "Don't eat it!" But I never did say such because, I wanted to teach the cooks that it's easier to Clean on the Go. Though they dont listen. They find that socialtime comes first, and there lazyness makes them happier. But my way, its even better. Its easy! But they dont believe that. Sadly...

Anyways. Why did I quit this February, you ask?

Because, the very manager that respected me one day stepped his bounds. He called me, "a clean freak!" I was utterly shocked. I mean. I respect my C.H.A.M.P.S certificate and what it represents (cleanliness, hospitality, accuracy, maintenance, product, and speed). But he literally, called me a clean freak and literally walked in on my work and did things his way. Which was terrable. Contaminating water quality and making a mess he probably thought was acceptable. It isn't. He continued to insult me and what I have achieved. I believed so much in C.H.A.M.P.S and the customer, that they deserve well cooked chicken. Not a big glop full of grease and fat. He bombarded me. I began losing control of my self and couldn't believe what I was hearing after 2 and a half years. I couldn't move. I was stunned. He called me off and said to go home. I was emotionally, and physically incapable of continueing work after what had happened. I went and changed. Folded my uniform and rested my badge and hat on it for the last time, and calmed my self in the staff washroom to go and write my good-bye letter. Than and there. I left for good.

P.S

Should I transfer to a different KFC location and/or report what had happened to the owners (who they ask for employees to tell them if they have problems at work)?

Thank you;
7A

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   
7Ayreon,

In my opinion, this probably happened for one of two reasons. First, perhaps you really were focusing too much on cleanliness and not on speed. But from what you said, that seems pretty unlikely. Another possibility is that you were making everyone else look bad, and your manager thought he should put a stop to that. Jealousy is a strong motivator. But you know, I like hearing about people like you and Slash and Ben who actually took pride in their work unlike a lot of people. It makes me think that one day the stupid people that I know won't be running the world.

Good luck.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Oh man Herman, I have a joke I found on ebaumsworld.com for ya.
"New Rule: The more complicated the Starbucks order, the bigger the a-hole. If you walk into a Starbucks and order a "decaf grande, half-soy, half-low fat, iced vanilla, double-shot, gingerbread cappuccino, extra dry, light ice, with one Sweet-n'-Low, and one NutraSweet," ooh, you're a huge a-hole."
I say the same thing about customers that want a 3 piece breast/wing meal but want only breast. 1 original, 1 crispy, and one cooked for 5 minutes longer. I tell them it's an extra 85 cent charge for the extra breast, and usually get a look of shock. I then have to explain that the breast is the most expensive piece, blah blah blah.
I know how you feel about the customers who want to pitch a bitch and be insultive, but are too afraid to say it while making eye contact. I dunno I just see it as cowardly. I don't take insults well with my low self esteem either, but am forced to turn the other cheek and keep my mouth shut if I still want a pay-check.

To 7Ayreon, I wish I could have started in the back cooking. We have 3 Hispanic guys that take turns cooking, and 2 Hispanic ladies who work the center kitchen washing dishes and making wedges, mac&cheese (that stuff is good), potatoes&gravy, hot wings, and the such. Anyways, when I first started working there, I was told that I wouldn't be learning how to cook for a while, I had to start up front and work the lobby, which I don't mind too much, just don't stick me on the drive through unless you want a line of cars wrapped around the store lol (I suck at drive through, gets too frustrating for me.
I know all about the clean as you go approach, everyone in my store does it. Thats one of the reasons we're number 53 in the state, we're one of the cleanest stores.
As far as a transfer is concerned, that would have to be your own decision based on how much you enjoyed your job, who knows, you might find a store that needs a good full time cook. If I were you though, I would write a letter to the DM about the experience you had at your last store. Theres no reason for a coworker to insult and belittle you, manager or not. Constructive criticism is a good thing, driving someone to the edge of emotional breakdown is not.

Thank you all for reading once again.

[edit on 15-2-2007 by Slash]

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 11:39 PM
link   
You never, never, never, ever talk smack to people making your food. It's just common sense, and why so many people eat burgers with spit on them

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 02:54 AM
link   
yea, even though I may get impatient at some fast food places, I always respect the employees, hehe, never wanna cross them and get sabotaged food

about 10 years ago I worked at a subway, dear lord it was amazing how rude people can get. So I do have sympathy.

new topics

top topics

join