It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GPS Shoes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   
More and more, tracking devices are becoming common place and welcomed by the general public. Now you can have GPS shoes.

Isaac Daniel calls the tiny Global Positioning System chip he's embedded into a line of sneakers "peace of mind." He wishes his 8-year-old son had been wearing them when he got a call from his school in 2002 saying the boy was missing. The worried father hopped a flight to Atlanta from New York where he had been on business to find the incident had been a miscommunication and his son was safe.

Days later, the engineer started working on a prototype of Quantum Satellite Technology, a line of $325 to $350 adult sneakers that hit shelves next month. It promises to locate the wearer anywhere in the world with the press of a button. A children's line will be out this summer.

"We call it a second eye watching over you," Daniel said.
www.time.com...

As the general public welcomes these devices more and more our privacy becomes more vulnerable. At this rate, one day we will all be able to be tracked. This could be used as a tool by those with power who are corrupt.
They will be able to track "un-desirables" with ease. Hope one day it doesn't become "illegal" to belong to a certain faith or lifestyle.
Imagine if the Nazi's had tech like this back in the day. Just because we hope humanity doesn't enter an age like WWII again doesn't mean we will never see it again.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 08:19 PM
link   
It is a slippery slope. But having a four year old, I can see myself using the shoes for emergency tracking and yes keeping tabs on where and what my child is getting in to as he gets older.

I think the government can pretty much track us now at anyrate simply by monitoring credit card transactions, those grocery store clubs etc.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   
What I see about this is the tech may be expensive now, but in a few years every parent will be able to afford a pair of tracking shoes for their kids. Then it will become a game for kids to find each other by tracking their shoe location, and eventually the next generation will simply accept and come to expect to be tracked. It's as if they will be conditioned to it, as just another part of life.

I'm starting to suspect we are the last free generation of human beings.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
What, the GPS phones didnt track well enough?
OH, its for kids.
What, the GPS watchs didnt track well enough?
Better put them in the shoes!

Where will it stop?

I still think we need a forum for 'big brother', and this would be a nice thread there.

new topics

top topics

join