It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gated Communities

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Gated communities are becoming more popular all the time. Since the 1970's, they have increased in number until they make up (as of 2003) 10% of the new houses being constructed, with that number going to 30% coverage in urban areas.

These communities are promoted by the real estate industry as being just like neighborhoods of days gone by (i.e. Mayberry). Safe, secure neighborhoods where your children can play safely, and the evildoers can't get in. They are promoted as communities of like-minded people with whom to share your leisure time (i.e. golf communities) or your interests (equestrian-themed communities, or "fly-in" communities in which most home-owners are pilots, and have airplane hangers built onto the houses). They are promoted as similar lifestyle communities (singles communities, over 55 communities)

In reality, these gated communities, whether they be a housing development or a secure condo/apartment building, are driving a wedge into our real communities, the towns and cities. Nothing accentuates differences of status like a locked gate, where some are free to come and go, while others can never hope to afford entry.

The division is seen clearly at the border of private/public land. Road maintenance, trash collection, and landscaping make it obvious where the municipality ends and the private entity begins, where the haves and the have-nots part company.

These communities breed mis-trust in the "outside element "by residents, and breed resentment in the non-residents (What are they, better then me? Scumbags!)

Of course, the local governments love them. Residents of gated communities pay property tax every year, yet the upkeep of these communities cost the government nothing, being paid for out of "Homeowner Association" fees. Free money for the government. How do you beat that?

There are several social negatives brought about by these segre"gated" communities, not the least of which is just keeping the residents separated from the rest of the population. With home, like-minded neighbors, and built-in leisure time facilities ( golf and tennis courts) on premises, there is much less co-mingling in the melting pot. No learning of the differences that keep societies thriving and ever-changing.
As the laws of thermodynamics state, in a closed system, entropy always increases.
Entropy translates to stagnation in a society, and this is never good.

Now, besides just the free income, there is a more insidious (in my opinion) reason for the government to like gated communities: security. Yes, that same security that gave you visions of happy, carefree children playing beneath the pear tree.

What's wrong with security? you ask. Isn't that a good thing? Yep. In fact, it's so good that the US government is going to give some to the Iraqi people. Nice, safe, gated communities, scoured clean of the stain of insurgency. Guarded by US and Iraqi troops.
The suicide bombers can't get to you. Of course, if you need to go to the market for some food or whatever, you need to pass through a checkpoint where, you never know, you might be turned away, told you can't leave right now. Trapped like a rat.
source

And speaking of trapped like a rat, imagine, as so many do these days, the implementation of martial law in the US. Due to pandemic flu, riots, terrorist attack, or whatever the excuse du jour would be. It would take no more then two men and a truck to effectively secure a community of hundreds, maybe thousands. One way in, one way out. Unless, of course, you want to walk

Yes, I believe that gated communities are ultimately a means to keep the citizens rounded up nice and neat, without even the expense of having to build a camp to put them in.

Additional sources:
www.international.ucla.edu...
heavytrash.blogspot.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Nice. Very well done propaganda.
You title your spiel "Gated Communities", begin the topic with the pro's
and cons (in your opinion) then proceed to involve your anti-govt.
rhetoric.

Why not title the thread truthfully ?
Maybe, I don't know..."Why gated communities are concentration camps".
Isn't that the intent you are trying to propose ?

In my opinion, you sound jealous of these places. They aren't that bad,
really. Mostly retired people, living out their days as they want to. Golf,
sailing, horses...you name it.

If you have a problem with people living their lives the way they want,
after saving all their lives to do so, say it.
Don't hide behind cheap shots at the govt., calling these communities, in
your veiled terms, camps.

Obviously, my opinion of said communities differs greatly, from yours.
Please feel free to expound on your reasons.
I'm all ears.

Lex

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lexion
Nice. Very well done propaganda.

Thank you, Lex.

You title your spiel "Gated Communities", begin the topic with the pro's
and cons (in your opinion)

Well, I had to title it something. Actually, I listed no "pros", I listed selling points. I have yet to see the pros.

then proceed to involve your anti-govt.rhetoric.

This is, after all, a conspiracy forum.
I am expected to voice my views.

Why not title the thread truthfully ?
Maybe, I don't know..."Why gated communities are concentration camps".
Isn't that the intent you are trying to propose ?

Because my post was about more then just that aspect. I also listed a few social repercussions of these communities. Or do you just read the first and last paragraphs of the posts you read?

In my opinion, you sound jealous of these places. They aren't that bad,
really. Mostly retired people, living out their days as they want to. Golf,
sailing, horses...you name it.

Of course, you're entitled to your opinion, and it's as valid as any. I'm not at all jealous of of these places, though. Not enough space between houses, for the most part, and way, way to many rules.

If you have a problem with people living their lives the way they want,
after saving all their lives to do so, say it.

Never claimed to have a problem with that at all, that's your contribution entirely.
I would suggest that they choose a non-gated community do live in, however.
Aside from the reasons I mentioned, everyone I know who lives in a gated community constantly complains about how all any of their neighbors ever do is complain about the rest of the neighbors. Is that how you want to spend your golden years? Not me, Lex.

Don't hide behind cheap shots at the govt., calling these communities, in
your veiled terms, camps.

Because my views don't match yours, they are cheap shots? I didn't think my terms were that "veiled". I put the camp scenario forward because it's a possibility, and in those terms, a rational concern. The whole of a community COULD be effectively quarantined/incarcerated by very little manpower and equipment.

Obviously, my opinion of said communities differs greatly, from yours.
Please feel free to expound on your reasons.

Obviously. That's what makes ATS so cool. Such a broad spectrum of world views.
Let me know if you would like some more expounding.

I'm all ears.

That's nice. I'm more concerned with what's between them.
Thanks for the discussion, Lex.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Wow.
Never had one of my posts so thoroughly dissected. I respect that.
In fact, I'm humbled.
To the points raised, I must ask for a truce.
As in another thread, I ask to agree to disagree, since the opinions
are obviously adamant, heartfelt and totally opposite.

We've both stated our views, and even though I disagree, I respect yours.

Offering my hand, in peace,
Lex

Edited to add : Long ago, I used to surf Daytona beach. How is the area, these days ?

[edit on 10-2-2007 by Lexion]

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I Live in a gated community. People by it for peaceof mind because everyone knows children go missing, theives come in the night, these people are elderely and they dont want to be beaten down by thugs. Who would ever think that the government would come and throw them in a truck. The gated community is quite nice, a great peace of mind living here, dont have to worry about family that despises you driving by your house. Everyone knows who goes in and out. a private pool for the residents and what not. its just awesome

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   

We've both stated our views, and even though I disagree, I respect yours.

Offering my hand, in peace,
Lex

Edited to add : Long ago, I used to surf Daytona beach. How is the area, these days ?

We stated our views, and both are totally valid.
I never have issue with opposing opinions. That's how we broaden our views.
I'll gladly take your hand, Lex. Thank you.

The surf in Daytona seems mediocre at best. Rarely anything
taller then me, though it does pick up sometimes.
It seems a little better up by Flagler Beach. Many surfers there.

Originally posted by rrahim1
I Live in a gated community. People by it for peaceof mind because everyone knows children go missing, theives come in the night, these people are elderely and they dont want to be beaten down by thugs.

Yes, these are reasons people buy homes in gated communities, and one can hardly blame them. These are real problems in todays society. I don't know how to fix it, but I'm pretty sure locking yourself away from them won't change them.

Who would ever think that the government would come and throw them in a truck.

Judging from what I see here every day, more people every day.

The gated community is quite nice, a great peace of mind living here, dont have to worry about family that despises you driving by your house.

I'm sure it's quite nice. My work takes me to gated communities all the time(I install hardwood floors), and they all look beautiful. I do know people who live in these communities, though, who actually DO have neighbor families that despise them.
They drive past their house every day.

Everyone knows who goes in and out.

Kinda big brother-ish, isn't it?

a private pool for the residents and what not.

This is part of the social wedge these communities drive between the people of a town/city. Maybe not intentionally, but when the sweaty have-nots see the splashing haves, they cannot help but feel resentment. They want to cool off, too.

its just awesome

Cool. I hope you live there happily for as long as you want to.
After all, what ARE the chances of the government actually declaring martial law?

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Oh, I did want to ask...the Villages. Is that a gated community ?
My grandmother lives there. Gonna be 88 this year, God love her.
I'm pretty sure it's a retirement community, not sure if it's gated, tho.

Regards,
Lex

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Oh, I did want to ask...the Villages. Is that a gated community ?
My grandmother lives there. Gonna be 88 this year, God love her.
I'm pretty sure it's a retirement community, not sure if it's gated, tho.

Regards,
Lex

Nope, the Villages is not gated. There are several ways in and out.
Port Orange is a nice town, and the local law enforcement keep it that way.
Drive slow through there.

88! I can't imagine,even though I'm halfway there. Bless her heart.
You never know, I might have installed floors in her house.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Gated communities don't block out "everyone" that does'nt live there....i'm a delivery guy and have all the gate codes for the 20+ gated communities i deliver to.

lol, besides that. I find that most of the people that live in these areas choose to because:
1. they are a nice quiet area to retire in after long hard years of work and saving.

2. they are families with good jobs and decent incomes who see these places as a great place to raise a family.

3. they are people who come from money....we all know there are a few (not as many as you think though)

They could be Somewhat easily shutdown/contained if need be. But, i think that the jump in these communities being built is due to new generations being more safety conscious. If the government wanted to keep people rounded up they would promote these places heavily....as far as i can tell not alot is being done by the government to promote gated communities.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uber Fr0g
Gated communities don't block out "everyone" that does'nt live there....i'm a delivery guy and have all the gate codes for the 20+ gated communities i deliver to.

That's kinda interesting to know, Uber Fr0g. I think it says something about the security of these communities. Hypothetically, how many delivery guys would I have to talk to before I found one who would sell me all 20+ gate codes?(not you, of course) I'll bet it wouldn't cost $500.

I've been looking into the security aspect of gated communities, and have found that they may not be as secure as the homeowners are led to believe.

But walls and gates don't always stop crime. In Atlanta, burglars targeted gated communities in 1995. They stole $1 million in jewelry, cash and silver from at least 90 homes before getting caught.
source

Yes, that's $1,000,000 in cash, jewelry, and silver. Now how much is that list of gate codes worth?

In the course of our field work, we interviewed local law enforcement and analyzed local studies of streets closures. We found no firm evidence of any general permanent reductions of crime in fully gated communities or in the barricaded streets of the Security Zone.
another source

These sources also have information about the social ramifications I discussed earlier in this thread.

But, i think that the jump in these communities being built is due to new generations being more safety conscious.

I think the jump is due to the fact that homes in gated communities command a higher price then homes in open communities. This translates to more income for the banks via interest payments, and more income for the local government via higher property taxes.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by subject x
That's kinda interesting to know, Uber Fr0g. I think it says something about the security of these communities. Hypothetically, how many delivery guys would I have to talk to before I found one who would sell me all 20+ gate codes?(not you, of course) I'll bet it wouldn't cost $500.

HAHA, i don't plan on giving them away....unless someone tips bad that is

But yeah, it really does show the lack of "security" these communities actually have to offer...not to mention most of the gates are open up until about 6pm anyways. Whats to stop someone from finding a nice little hiding spot until dark?? They offer peace of mind all in all....i guess thats all some people need to go on these days.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uber Fr0g
HAHA, i don't plan on giving them away....unless someone tips bad that is

Ha! That's the last time they blow off the delivery guy, I bet.

Whats to stop someone from finding a nice little hiding spot until dark

Generally nothing. And robbery, of course, is not the only worry, as evidenced by this article about preparing for home invasions:

I asked Lieutenant Snodgrass if homes in gated communities are less likely to be targets. He says no. He says gated communities give people a false sense of security.
KVBC TV, Las Vegas

They offer peace of mind all in all....i guess thats all some people need to go on these days.

Yeah, I guess it doesn't take much for some people.
Of course, you take what you can get.

top topics

join