It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texans, I'm Madder Than Hell and You Should Be Too!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 09:24 AM
link   
libra,

I'm glad you take such a stand to be responsible for the environment.

That said, your green mountain energy only generates .18 megawatts. Depending on load demand that could be only less than a thousand homes. Where do you think they get the rest of the power they sell?
The power they generate is vastly cleaner that that made with fossil fuel but where do they buy the rest? How much do they sell in total? Don't get me wrong I am glad they are generating so cleanly, but what they buy to make up the difference will be just as dirty(as you say) as the rest.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by shooterbrody
Where do you think they get the rest of the power they sell?

That's a good question. I think you're off slightly on the MW Green Mountain produces, last I checked, I think it was in the hundred-something MW range due to some new windfarms they put up.

However, it's a fair question. From Green Mountain's own site, what I gathered is that the "clean power" is expanded based upon present and expected demand. Hence, the more people that switch to Green Mountain, the more wind, solar, etc, goes up. However, I would be more than happy to look into this and get back to you on it. I'll try and get some solid numbers soon.

[edit on 2/27/2007 by thelibra]

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   
libra,
I got the generation numbers from their site. 13 facilities generating 180,000 kws.

I agree the more people that switch will make more money for green mountain and the more money for new generation but it will be a long, long time before they can make a significant impact. I just don't want to see you swindled into believeing that they are doing more than they are. All power generated now over contractual obligations goes into regional pools by federal law. So either green mountain has contracts with nuc or fossil plants or they buy from pools which I would doubt as the price fluctuations vary greatly as to demand.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   
sorry bout the numbers their site is confusing.

www.greenmountain.com...

Our customers created demand for the construction of 13 wind and solar facilities across the nation representing over 180,000 KW of new renewable energy

then here
www.greenmountain.com...

Green Mountain Energy electricity customers are making a difference in Texas and nationwide. This 160 MW wind farm is one of 13 new renewable facilities built since 1999 as a result of their demand for less-polluting electricity.

The site says 30,000 homes from 160 mw. Again don't get me wrong I am glad they are doing this, but what is that compared to their total amount.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   

libra,
I got the generation numbers from their site. 13 facilities generating 180,000 kws.

Ummm... Isn't 180,000 kW = 180 MegaWatts?

1kW = 1000 Watts.
1MW = 1,000,000 Watts

1,000 kW = 1 MW, right?

Hence, they have 180 MegaWatts of power generation, not 0.18.
0.18 would be 180kW, not 180,000kW.

I agree the more people that switch will make more money for green mountain and the more money for new generation but it will be a long, long time before they can make a significant impact.

I disagree. I think once the correct numbers are used, they're already making a significant impact, and will continue to grow as demand merits. Granted, they may not be able to currently produce as much power as TXU, but also keep in mind TXU is a multinational corporation with a large number of coal plants around the world. I

I just don't want to see you swindled into believeing that they are doing more than they are.

I don't feel swindled at all. I'm getting clean electricity for less than TXU, and they're able to meet my demands, and they're looking to grow as demand requires. It's pretty much a win-win situation, really.

All power generated now over contractual obligations goes into regional pools by federal law. So either green mountain has contracts with nuc or fossil plants or they buy from pools which I would doubt as the price fluctuations vary greatly as to demand.

Aside from completely removing onesself from the grid, they are the only choice for "clean" energy we have. Reliant and Dynocorp are the only other two besides TXU, neither of which use renewable energy.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
sorry bout the math error
wasn't trying to mislead ya just a mistake

found an interesting website for ya to check out
www.boycottgreenmountain.com...
www.eere.energy.gov...
how are they gonna cover that demand with 180mw?
the power they are selling you is not "clean"they are just the middle man in a recently deregulated industry

think you may be interested in this site too
www.energyjustice.net...

[edit on 27/2/2007 by shooterbrody]

[edit on 27/2/2007 by shooterbrody]

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra

Originally posted by etotheitheta
Sorry thelibra, but none of that means #. These new holders will find a way to build what Texas ultimately needs, an energy producing plant.

See, Etotheitheta, I have no problem with new energy plants in Texas. And the biggest problem getting people like you on board is that you don't see "we don't want our air quality to get any worse than it already is", what you see is some sort of neo-luddite idea of "electricity bad!"

Nothing could be further from the truth. We recognize the need for better energy distribution, as well as the growing demand for electricity.

However, it can be accomplished in FAR CLEANER ways than burning pulverized coal. If you would just accept this fact, we could work more towards a common middle ground.

[edit on 2/26/2007 by thelibra]

You act as if Rick Perry is the supreme leader of Texas. The man is a mouth piece. There is no concern for air quality. We are all Texans, TXU is about as Texan as it gets. Would you prefer out of state companies come in and build this #? I wouldn't. People in California are crazy and New Yorkers are stuck up like an amateur asian gang bang, and I would never trust an Okie.

Coal is the only logical choice in this situation.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Shooterbrody, I'll review those links in a bit and get back to you on my response. I'll be curious to see what they have to say.

You act as if Rick Perry is the supreme leader of Texas.

He's governor. That's close enough.

TXU is about as Texan as it gets. Would you prefer out of state companies come in and build this #? I wouldn't. People in California are crazy and New Yorkers are stuck up like an amateur asian gang bang, and I would never trust an Okie.

Coal is the only logical choice in this situation.

Wow.

Um. Well, all I can say is that I wish all the opponents of environmental reform were as "eloquent" as you. If that were the case, we'd be up to our eyeballs in owls and trees, and the air would be cleaner than a preacher on sunday morning.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   

You act as if Rick Perry is the supreme leader of Texas. The man is a mouth piece.

Actually, he has considerable clout. Remember the fracas in the past month about mandated vaccinations for cervical cancer for all school age girls? He's done other Executive Orders of a similar nature, without consulting anyone but himself.

There is no concern for air quality.

I think you're very mistaken here. The State of Texas has a division for air quality... and if you think we're off the hook, look at the number of high ozone alerts (ignore the blowing dust ones) for the state for 2006:
www.tceq.state.tx.us...

You can browse other years here:
www.tceq.state.tx.us...

There's a number of things to be concerned about that you may not be aware of, including the Bush administration move to axe the EPA reporting of certain chemicals. It used to be that companies had to report the release of 500 pounds or more of a chemical into the environment. Now it's 5,000 pounds. So a company local to you could dump 5,000 pounds of sulfur dioxide (which can harm your lungs if you're asthmatic or have a cold or allergies) into the air in your neighborhood and not have to tell anyone.

Thelibra's right. We need to whop government.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 12:42 AM
link   
You're kidding me right? Rick Perry has more power than the Lt. Gov? Who is the Lt. Gov? Rick Perry is a hair piece with a smile.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join