It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Reality of Recent UFO Sightings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   

America has seen a spate of alleged UFO sightings in recent weeks and months. Eyewitnesses in Arizona, Illinois, Arkansas, North Carolina, and other states have reported seeing mysterious lights and objects in the sky.

Could such sightings be alien spacecraft? Of course it’s possible; many things are possible.
The question is not what is possible but what is probable—what evidence and logic suggest.
Before jumping to conclusions about ETs in spacecraft, we must look at the most likely explanations.

Without some independent confirmation or other evidence, it’s hard to know what the United Airlines employees might have seen.
But is it more likely that they saw an optical illusion, or that a large, unknown object hovered over one of the country’s busiest airports without being seen by anyone else or appearing on radar?

The lights over Arkansas and Arizona had something in common: they were both seen near military bases, at a time when Air Force pilots were dropping very bright flares from parachutes during training.
The flares, producing in some cases nearly 2 million candlepower, would be visible for miles.
So is it more likely that the mysterious lights were actually alien spacecraft, or that people simply saw the aerial magnesium flares released at the same time and place?
(It would in fact be much more mysterious if no one had reported seeing lights in the sky at that time!)

Any object seen in the sky, especially at night, can be very difficult to identify because of the limitations of human perception.
Knowing how far away something is helps us determine its size and speed; that’s why we know that moving cars seen at a distance are'nt really smaller, nor are they moving slowly; it’s simply an optical illusion.
If the eyewitness does'nt know the distance, then he or she cannot determine the size.
Is that thing in the sky twenty feet long and 200 yards away, or is it 200 feet long and a mile away? It’s impossible to know, and this makes estimates of size, distance and speed very unreliable.

All that is needed to create a UFO sighting is one person who may not recognize a light or object in the sky.
But just because one person—or even several people—can’t immediately identify or explain something they see does'nt mean that someone else with more training or experience (or even the same person seeing the same object from a different angle) may not instantly recognize it.

Astronomers, who spend the most time looking at the sky, rarely report UFOs.
This is because they often recognize aerial phenomena (odd clouds, comets, etc.) that the average person would consider strange or unexplainable.

SOURCE:
LiveScience.com

I realize I'm going to be labeled a close minded skeptic or some such,
so I'll say this, I believe exoterrestrial life and subsequent intelligence
exists elsewhere in the universe, and I believe that one species has visited
the Earth a few times in the past.

Now, this article, I think, really does provide a good explanation for
the 'lights' recently seen in Arizona and Arkansas, and honestly I think
that it is a better explanation than alien spacecraft.

As for the O'Hare sighting, well the jury is still out on it for me, though
I'm leaning towards it not being an exoterrestrial craft.

Note also, that they did'nt say astronomers never see UFOs, as even
astronomers are'nt infallible, but that they recognize what things are
when alot of people see them as UFOs.

Now, the problem with UFOs, is that the majority of people don't know
the difference between a meteor skipping off the upper atmosphere
and an artificial object.
Add to that that people can get confused with manned aircraft as well.

Now, add to this, the fact that a growing amount of people who see UFOs,
don't want to be skeptical about it, and automatically assume it's an alien,
simply because they want to believe in that.

So, what are your Comments and Opinions?

EDIT:
Spelling.

[edit on 2/9/2007 by iori_komei]

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
it's actually an interesting thing about the lack of ufo sightings by astronomers. however, it is also possible they don't report everything they see because they don't have proof, it's out in space etc.

if you remove O'Hare from the current run of sightings, the whole thing could be easily explained away as untrained eyes, military operations and what have you.

when pilots and air traffic controllers and other airport employees spot the same thing, then you have a mass sighting by trained eyes and that is hard to explain away.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Could someone E-mail the writer of the article and get into debate with them, With all the investigation thats been done here with the o'hare sighting I'm sure someone can write back to him and ask him a few questions and show them why they think the o'hare incident was much more then a weather phenomenon. Would be nice to see what Live Science has to say

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
i have a thought about the recent wave....

since it looks like america is going to attack iran soon, maybe their army is making some final tests of new aircraft, or something... maybe this time its bringing out all the big guns.

because, they are sure gonna need them.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Why not take your chances guessing it's an ET craft. Last time I checked this universe was bigger than we could imagine anyway, what would it hurt? Everyone's skeptic side seems to be pretty strong around here.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
heh sometimes its amazing how many different phonomenon that the news agencies pulls out of their asses. i mean yeah you got meteor, aurora boreallis, shooting star. flying disc shaped object poking hole through clouds ....... no lol

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   
As for astronomers... don't they spend the vast majority of their time looking at very small sections of the sky? I don't think many of them stand outside just looking up at the sky. Think of this analogy: you and I stand shoulder to shoulder looking up at the sky. The only difference is that you are looking through a telescope. If an airplane flies by who has the greater chance of seeing it?

Another point, would an astronomer risk his/her reputation to report a UFO if s/he did see one?

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
As for astronomers... don't they spend the vast majority of their time looking at very small sections of the sky? I don't think many of them stand outside just looking up at the sky. Think of this analogy: you and I stand shoulder to shoulder looking up at the sky. The only difference is that you are looking through a telescope. If an airplane flies by who has the greater chance of seeing it?

Another point, would an astronomer risk his/her reputation to report a UFO if s/he did see one?

Astronomers look at all parts of the sky.
And astronomy is'nt just the far universe, it's local systems as
well.

And an astronomer would be more likely than most to report a
true UFO.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
good post and have to agree.Very few reports from amatuer astronomers tells its own story.

and yes they do look about at the sky constantly to see if theres anything interesting to point their scope at.

I beleive real UFO phenomenon are pretty rare.

[edit on 9-2-2007 by yeti101]

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Astronomers dont get paid to spot ufos......
I really doubt they are any less determined to keep those checks rolling in as our other scientists.
Not many of them will touch the ufo thing with a ten foot pole ..
it is really very compatitve in the astronomy biz as any other that has to suction public money to exist at all.They better toe the govt line if they want their grants...
I find it rediculous that science has invested very little hard cash on ufo investigation.....but very telling as to where the butter on their bread comes from.
Science and the goverment can not be trudsted .Any "truth "we glean from them must be winnowed carefully.
We now longer can afford to bow down to those who claim they know more than we do.therefore know whats best for us.
Real democracy died stillborn long ago.....
Like those self propelled people who have come up with photos of NASAs own taking which clearly show what NASA denies.....
Everyone has to get into the investigation with what they have at hand....
Now is the time for pressure by the little guys...
Isnt there a Hubble picture going around about an object between us and another star or galaxy?
maybe even on ats.....

new topics

top topics

join