It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Noahs Ark" Seed Vault To Begin Construction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   
With the ominous threat of global warming looming ever closer, scientists are creating what they are calling a "Noahs Ark" seed bank in the Arctic. With climate changes which effect not only temperatures, but rainfall patterns as well, it is the intention of this seed bank to keep seeds from all agricultural crops worldwide frozen so that they can be reintroduced to the world should climate change cause the extinction of any of these crop species.

www.cnn.com
LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Deep inside the Arctic Circle work is about to begin on a giant frozen Noah's Ark for food crops to provide a last bastion in the battle against global warming.

And within a year the first seeds of what will eventually be home for samples of all 1.5 million distinct varieties of agricultural crops worldwide will be tucked safely inside the vaults deep in a mountain on the archipelago of Svalbard.

There, at the end of a tunnel 120 meters into the side of a mountain, 80 meters above estimated sea levels even if all polar ice melts, and 18 degrees Celsius below freezing, they will stay like a bank security deposit.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Personally, I think that this is a great idea. The article continues to say that "It will be the best freezer in the world by several orders of magnitude. The seeds will be safe there for decades".
And while I do find this a good idea, it also shows how real the concerns are of global warming. It almost sounds like a doomsday security system.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   
That's good not just for global warming, but for several disasters. Meteor or commit strike, super volcano, nuclear war. All these disasters could cause crop extinction. Very good idea.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Definite thumbs up.

Are they saving only agricultural crops, or including every plant species?

And who is funding it?

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Glad to see some people are looking ahead to,"what if".
Great idea,although,I hope its never needed.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I think that is a waist!

as I do not think that earth will sustan what will come around he corner!
if we are plague with cancer!
what can happen or will happen a cancer happen at the core of the planet!

actually Nasa had some thought about it!
or a certain vision about it!
which I assume may be real!
as the cancer with sun rays and deplition of ozone and the changes in magnetic field may have us to implode creating a black hole that will bring the sun down too plus this galaxy!
it is plausible!
but then who know it may be wrong!
true or false

right or wrong!

just assumptions!

top topics

join