It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking doesn't cause cancer!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Where did you hear this from? There is little doubt in my mind that it causes cancer.

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I just quited the bad habbit for a month now. *crunches teeth* and i feel more alive.
but thestress it takes to overcome the habbit is far more deadly than the habbit itself.

I once read that nicotine actually makes you concentrate better, makes your sleeppattern stronger.. but since ive moved to the caribien and quited smoking i feel more and more awake..clean head

Spot

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 11:59 AM
link   
i smoke all the time and i'm fine. We been smoking for a while. Its just the damn shadow government saying that you can get cancer from smoke.

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 12:26 PM
link   
And I read that not only the tarry substances from the smoke but also nicotine cause cancer. Also nicotine itself causes it.

Nicotine makes cells in your lungs self-destruct slower.
The cells don't die, poisoned they easily turn into cancer cells, wich are, as to say "immortal".

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
I've heard that, seen reports that once you smoke, stopping smoking changes nothing.

If you ever smoked...you might as well now in regards to Cancer. You don't die from your 50,000th cigarette, you die from the one you had at 18.

The reports you read were incorrect. It has been oserved through clinical trials that lungs can completely recuperate from a smoking habit (depending on years smoking, amount smoked, etc, of course). At a year the cilia and air sac's in the lung can become even stronger and more efficient than a non-smoker. This is because the lungs have had to work harder to receive the same amount of oxygen saturation as before you started smoking.

They say after 10 years (don't know length of addiction or packs/day), the cancer rate for smokers roughly equals that of non-smokers. This leads me to my next question:

How come the lung cancer/emphysema rate is higher among smokers than in non smokers if there is no link between smoking and cancer?

*NOTE: I smoke a pack of Marb 27's every day. Delicious... (Meaning i'm not a tobacco addictions counselor, just trying to sift through the disinformation i'm bombarded with from time to time)

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I dont care what anyone says to me in the effort to make what they do to seem ok (when its stupid). I held my mother in my arms when she passed away from cancer in her throat. It was something we all knew would happen due to her smoking habbit. It was clearly related.

There is no question...........

Its almost funny watching people try to rationalize a pointless addiction. There is more reason to do drugs than to smoke tobacco. Yet more people smoke tobacco. They get nothing from it, except for a few things......

They spend like 5 bucks a day...equaling about 150 dollars a month. Thats just smoking on pack a day. Thats an electric bill, or gas bill, or even both depending on your situation and location. (funny how alot of people living under poverty levels smoke)

They lose energy. Run out of breath easier. They smell sometimes to a point of disgust.

I find it hard to understand someone making the choice to smoke.....

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seapeople
I dont care what anyone says to me in the effort to make what they do to seem ok (when its stupid). I held my mother in my arms when she passed away from cancer in her throat. It was something we all knew would happen due to her smoking habbit. It was clearly related.

There is no question...........

Its almost funny watching people try to rationalize a pointless addiction. There is more reason to do drugs than to smoke tobacco. Yet more people smoke tobacco. They get nothing from it, except for a few things......

They spend like 5 bucks a day...equaling about 150 dollars a month. Thats just smoking on pack a day. Thats an electric bill, or gas bill, or even both depending on your situation and location. (funny how alot of people living under poverty levels smoke)

They lose energy. Run out of breath easier. They smell sometimes to a point of disgust.

I find it hard to understand someone making the choice to smoke.....

~Yes true. Someone making the choice is more simple than you think. It's just plain introduction. "Hey want a drag?" you'd take the drag, then bam if you like it, you'll do it more n' more. Very simple.

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 02:31 PM
link   
This is horse #. I don't know where you got your information from. Smoking is possibly the worst thing you can do to your body. Forgive the long post, but it is necessary.

members.aol.com...

2,000 annual deaths are attributed to SIDS caused by second-hand smoke

2,800 newborn deaths occur annually die to LBW (low birth weight)

About 250 children die each year in the U.S. of burns from fires caused by cigarettes, matches or lighters

Anal cancer in smokers is increased by 46%

Angina Pectoris in smokers is increased by 16%

Asthma is increased by 27% in smoking and passive smoke

At least 6,200 children die each year in the U.S. because their parents smoke. Deaths are R/T lung infections and burns. More young children are killed by parental smoking than by all intentional injuries combined

Bladder cancer in smoking males is increased by 53%

Bladder cancer in smoking females is increased by 43%

Brain tumors are increased by 20% in smokers

CAD increases a smokers mortality rate to 15% or more after a CABG surgery

Cervical cancer in smoking women is increased by 21%

Cheek and gum cancer from smokeless tobacco is increased by 87%

Cigarettes are responsible for 30% of all cancers, resulting in 150,000 cancer deaths each year

Cigarettes kill 434,000 people every year, more deaths than from automobile accidents, homicides, suicides, alcohol, drug abuse and AIDS combined

Congenital defects in smoking mothers are increased by 21%

COPD in smoking males is increased by 84%

COPD in smoking females is increased by 79%

CAD is increased by 74% in smokers

CHD is increased by 52% in smokers

Crohn's Disease in smokers is increased by 59%

Diabetes is increased by 8% by females who smoke

Duodenal ulcers is increased in smokers by 52%

Ectopic pregnancy in smoking women is increased by 74%

Heart disease is increased to 91% for nonsmokers with regular exposure to cigarette smoke

Heart disease is increased to 58% for nonsmokers with occasional exposure to cigarette smoke

Influenza in smokers is increased by 45%

Kidney cancer is increased to 33% in smokers

Kills 1,000 U.S. citizens each day from tobacco-related illnesses

Leukemia is increased by 30% in smokers

Low back pain is increased by 10% in smokers

Low birth weight in smoking pregnant women is increased by 42%

Lower respiratory illnesses in passive smokers is increased by 24%. This includes acute bronchitis and pneumonia

Lung Cancer (10 X greater in smokers and #1 killer CA in men in the U.S. It is estimated that 32% of men and 25% of women will die of lung Ca in 1996.) There are 4 types, epidermoid, small cell carcinoma, adenocarcinoma, large cell carcinoma, all of which are associated with tobacco use. Bronchogenic CA is 10X more common in smokers. Epidermoid CA is associated with heavy smoking. Survival rate of lung CA is low

Lung cancer is increased by 88% in smoking males

Lung cancer is increased by 74% in smoking females

Lung cancer killed 56,000 women in 1993

Miscarriage is increased to 15%

Myocardial infarction in females who smoke is increased by 76%

Myocardial infarction in males who smoke is increased by 33%

Nonsmokers married to heavy smokers have 2-3 times the risk of lung cancer compared with those married to nonsmokers

Nonsmokers exposed to 20 or more cigarettes a day at home had twice the risk of developing lung cancer

One-fifth of deaths R/T cardiovascular disease in 1990 were attributable to smoking

One-third of all deaths in middle-aged men and 15% of deaths in middle-aged women in industralized nations are caused by tobacco (report from WHO)

One person dies every 10 seconds as a result of tobacco use---and this does not include fatalities due to passive smoking

Other respiratory diseases in males is increased by 37%

Other respiratory diseases in females is increased by 35%

People who have never smoked but are married to smokers had about a 20% higher risk of dying of heart disease than non-smoking couples. (study in the AHA journal "Circulation")

Pancreatic cancer in smoking males is increased by 41%

Pancreatic cancer in smoking females is increased by 19%

People who smoke less than a half pack a day still have a death rate 30% higher than nonsmokers

PID in smoking females is increased by 33%

PVD in smokers is increased by 75%

Perinatal death from smoking mothers is increased by 17%

Periodontitis in smokers is increased by 40%

Pneumonia in smoking females is increased by 35%

Smoking while pregnant increases the liklihood of mental retardation in the baby by 50%

The death rate among smokers of all ages is 3 X higer than among nonsmokers

There are 1.2 million smoking-related deaths in poorer nations and 1.9 million in developed countries

Those who successfully stop smoking reduces his risk of CAD by 50% within the first year. The risk continues to decline as long as he refrains from smoking

WHO predicts that within the next 30-40 years, the annual death toll will rise to 10 million--7 million in developing countries and 3 million in the industralized world

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 02:33 PM
link   
For me smoking is good for the soul.
It relaxes me.

I think everyone's make up differs and that has a lot to do with how your body reacts to it. I've known of people who died from lung cancer and never smoked a day in their life. Then there are people who smoke into 80's and 90's and are still kickin.

I wish I never got hooked on smoking!
It's SO expensive. That's one thing I won't skimp on, though. Gotta have my marlboro's. The cheapos taste like the tobacco was swept off the floor or something.

There's nuthin like a cold beer and a smoke or a nice, hot cup of coffee and a smoke.

I shoulda quit for good back when I went through boot camp.
Oh well. I've always said, "If I quit smoking, I'll get hit by a bus." That would be just my luck.

BTW, for anyone wondering what a good way to quit smoking is.. try acupuncture. A friend who chain smoked for decades tried it. She said she never wanted another cigerette ever again. And she could never quit before.

Time for a smoke.

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, it is actually better for smokers to smoke cigerettes without filters. I know that sounds crazy, but its true. There are dangerous chemicals in the filters themselves. Just something to think about.

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by greenkoolaid
This is horse #. I don't know where you got your information from. Smoking is possibly the worst thing you can do to your body. Forgive the long post, but it is necessary.

members.aol.com...

2,000 annual deaths are attributed to SIDS caused by second-hand smoke

2,800 newborn deaths occur annually die to LBW (low birth weight)

About 250 children die each year in the U.S. of burns from fires caused by cigarettes, matches or lighters

Anal cancer in smokers is increased by 46%

Angina Pectoris in smokers is increased by 16%

Asthma is increased by 27% in smoking and passive smoke

At least 6,200 children die each year in the U.S. because their parents smoke. Deaths are R/T lung infections and burns. More young children are killed by parental smoking than by all intentional injuries combined

Bladder cancer in smoking males is increased by 53%

Bladder cancer in smoking females is increased by 43%

Brain tumors are increased by 20% in smokers

CAD increases a smokers mortality rate to 15% or more after a CABG surgery

Cervical cancer in smoking women is increased by 21%

Cheek and gum cancer from smokeless tobacco is increased by 87%

Cigarettes are responsible for 30% of all cancers, resulting in 150,000 cancer deaths each year

Cigarettes kill 434,000 people every year, more deaths than from automobile accidents, homicides, suicides, alcohol, drug abuse and AIDS combined

Congenital defects in smoking mothers are increased by 21%

COPD in smoking males is increased by 84%

COPD in smoking females is increased by 79%

CAD is increased by 74% in smokers

CHD is increased by 52% in smokers

Crohn's Disease in smokers is increased by 59%

Diabetes is increased by 8% by females who smoke

Duodenal ulcers is increased in smokers by 52%

Ectopic pregnancy in smoking women is increased by 74%

Heart disease is increased to 91% for nonsmokers with regular exposure to cigarette smoke

Heart disease is increased to 58% for nonsmokers with occasional exposure to cigarette smoke

Influenza in smokers is increased by 45%

Kidney cancer is increased to 33% in smokers

Kills 1,000 U.S. citizens each day from tobacco-related illnesses

Leukemia is increased by 30% in smokers

Low back pain is increased by 10% in smokers

Low birth weight in smoking pregnant women is increased by 42%

Lower respiratory illnesses in passive smokers is increased by 24%. This includes acute bronchitis and pneumonia

Lung Cancer (10 X greater in smokers and #1 killer CA in men in the U.S. It is estimated that 32% of men and 25% of women will die of lung Ca in 1996.) There are 4 types, epidermoid, small cell carcinoma, adenocarcinoma, large cell carcinoma, all of which are associated with tobacco use. Bronchogenic CA is 10X more common in smokers. Epidermoid CA is associated with heavy smoking. Survival rate of lung CA is low

Lung cancer is increased by 88% in smoking males

Lung cancer is increased by 74% in smoking females

Lung cancer killed 56,000 women in 1993

Miscarriage is increased to 15%

Myocardial infarction in females who smoke is increased by 76%

Myocardial infarction in males who smoke is increased by 33%

Nonsmokers married to heavy smokers have 2-3 times the risk of lung cancer compared with those married to nonsmokers

Nonsmokers exposed to 20 or more cigarettes a day at home had twice the risk of developing lung cancer

One-fifth of deaths R/T cardiovascular disease in 1990 were attributable to smoking

One-third of all deaths in middle-aged men and 15% of deaths in middle-aged women in industralized nations are caused by tobacco (report from WHO)

One person dies every 10 seconds as a result of tobacco use---and this does not include fatalities due to passive smoking

Other respiratory diseases in males is increased by 37%

Other respiratory diseases in females is increased by 35%

People who have never smoked but are married to smokers had about a 20% higher risk of dying of heart disease than non-smoking couples. (study in the AHA journal "Circulation")

Pancreatic cancer in smoking males is increased by 41%

Pancreatic cancer in smoking females is increased by 19%

People who smoke less than a half pack a day still have a death rate 30% higher than nonsmokers

PID in smoking females is increased by 33%

PVD in smokers is increased by 75%

Perinatal death from smoking mothers is increased by 17%

Periodontitis in smokers is increased by 40%

Pneumonia in smoking females is increased by 35%

Smoking while pregnant increases the liklihood of mental retardation in the baby by 50%

The death rate among smokers of all ages is 3 X higer than among nonsmokers

There are 1.2 million smoking-related deaths in poorer nations and 1.9 million in developed countries

Those who successfully stop smoking reduces his risk of CAD by 50% within the first year. The risk continues to decline as long as he refrains from smoking

WHO predicts that within the next 30-40 years, the annual death toll will rise to 10 million--7 million in developing countries and 3 million in the industralized world

Okay. Suppose your statistics are true. If three smokers per 100k get, oh anal cancer let's say, and 4 or 5 get it for non smokers statistically, that's a HUGE leap. And associated doesn't mean caused by. Remember my comments about aging? plus the nonsmoking population is much smaller, so that numbers tend to be pretty skewed.

I won't debate anythign else but cancer, because all those other things are a direct result of smoking. Smoking is an awful, terrible habit, but it doesn't cause cancer. Just about any other ailment you can think of, but not cancer.

DE

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 05:17 PM
link   
"Low back pain is increased by 10% in smokers"

OK then! May I add another "scientific" finding...

Women smokers are 50% more likely to get hit on in bars by male smokers. And smoking, coupled with large amounts of alcohol greatly increase liklihood of getting laid.

Do I need to draw the correlation?
Yup, SMOKING MAKES YOU PREGNANT.

gog

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 05:19 PM
link   
This information is being presented to inform you. If I was convinced that you couldn't do anything to surmount these biological events, then there wouldn't be any productive reason to discuss them. but the alternative medicine bag is filled with many, many tricks for overcoming ANY biological pathogen, whether bioengineered or natural in origin. Fear paralyzes people. Fear comes from not being informed and not knowing how to protect yourself. Knowledge liberates you and gives you the best opportunity for overcoming adversity. Don't be afraid of the truth;
Embrace It. It's your best ally.

educate-yourself.org...

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Ok, lets talk cancer then.

WHAT IS LUNG CANCER?

Lung cancer is the leading cancer killer in both men and women. An estimated 169,400 new cases of lung cancer and an estimated 154,900 deaths from lung cancer will occur in the United States during 2002.

The rate of lung cancer cases appears to be dropping among white and African-American men in the United States, while it continues to rise among both white and African-American women.

There are two major types of lung cancer: non-small cell lung cancer and small cell lung cancer. Non-small cell lung cancer is much more common. It usually spreads to different parts of the body more slowly than small cell lung cancer. Squamous cell carcinoma, ademocarcinoma, and large cell carcinoma are three types of non-small cell lung cancer. Small cell lung cancer also called oat cell cancer, accounts for about 20% of all lung cancer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHAT CAUSES LUNG CANCER?

Smoking is the number one cause of lung cancer. Lung cancer may also be the most tragic cancer because in most cases, it might have been prevented -- 87% of lung cancer cases are caused by smoking. Cigarette smoke contains more than 4,000 different chemicals, many of which are proven cancer-causing substances, or carcinogens. Smoking cigars or pipes also increases the risk of lung cancer.

The more time and quantity you smoke, the greater your risk of lung cancer. But if you stop smoking, the risk of lung cancer decreases each year as normal cells replace abnormal cells. After ten years, the risk drops to a level that is one-third to one-half of the risk for people who continue to smoke. In addition, quitting smoking greatly reduces the risk of developing other smoking-related diseases, such as heart disease, stroke, emphysema and chronic bronchitis.

Many of the chemicals in tobacco smoke also affect the nonsmoker inhaling the smoke, making "secondhand smoking" another important cause of lung cancer. It is responsible for approximately 3,000 lung cancer deaths and as many as 50,000 deaths from heart disease annually.

www.lungusa.org...

87% of people who get lung cancer are smokers.

Seems to me that the evidence that lung cancer is caused by smoking is overwhelming.

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Smoking may be a nasty habit to many people, but with all of the crap in the air how do we know cancer isn't caused by something we inhale every day just by breathing? I mean air pollution is so bad in some places that they have to recommend staying inside on some days, just to breathe. They actually declare it unsafe to breathe the "fresh" outside air. When the air I'm supposed to breathe is no longer polluted by factories and car exhaust, I may worry about whether or not it's the cigarettes making me get cancer. Until then, I'm not going to worry about it. Everything we eat, drink, breathe, or wear has been found to cause cancer in one form or another. Might as well enjoy a good smoke while I'm waiting to see which brand of cancer I'm gonna get..

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I'm only 17, and I'd been smoking for 1 year until I gave up a few weeks ago, and since I gave up I never felt more alive
. Whatever the effects of smoking are, give up for a cpl of weeks and you'll realise what it's doing to you

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chud
I'm only 17, and I'd been smoking for 1 year until I gave up a few weeks ago, and since I gave up I never felt more alive
. Whatever the effects of smoking are, give up for a cpl of weeks and you'll realise what it's doing to you

Cool. But let me tell you my story. I smoked for 7 years, all through formal education. Then stopped cold turkey for 7 years. Didn't notice much difference (not like when I stopped eating red meat, but still)

What I REALLY noticed was when I started smoking again. I remembered EVERYTHING. Old papers made sense again. I wanted to go back and read like I hadn't read in years. I was more creative and productive in my job...(and successful). Now, I'm not saying smoking did that. But studies support that HOW you learn is linked to memory and retention.

I wasn't the 'me' I liked when I quit. I am again now. For whatever it's worth...

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Spose it's different for everyone, but those little cancer sticks were calling my name tonight
, it was hard to resist them. Damn nicotine, since I gave up I've been having alot of sleepless nights, oh how a cigarette would put me to sleep
, it's 2:14 and I have no intentions of going to bed anytime soon...
But still, it was worth it (I think)

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 08:15 PM
link   
If you don't smoke, or have stopped...don't.

But if you smoke IN COLLEGE...is where they say it gets you.

It makes it most hard to stop later if everything you know, you learned under the effects of nicotine. Once you stop, you're never quite the same.

Studies show that smokers have improved short term memories too. A non smoker may not be able to think clearly or oragnize their day until after a cup of coffee, or whatever their 'pacifier' may be. Smokers roll over, light up are are ready to go. Just what I heard, but can also confirm from personal experience.

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Thinking about it, since I've giveen up, I haven't been able to get up in the morning, and I haven't been to school for 2 1/2 weeks (soon after I gave up). Damn, maybe it wasn't clever giving up, at least not when in education

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join