It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking doesn't cause cancer!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 07:47 PM
link   
It's true. Smoking, while causing dozens of other ailments and pumping your body full of tozins, doesn't cause cancer. A cancerous cell takes 30-50 divisions to become malignant, perhaps more. That is quite some time. As one becomes progressively older, the percent chance of cancer development increase incrementally. Once you hit about 30, it jumps about another 3 to 7 percent. once you hit 45, it jumps another 10 percent.

If you don't believe me, look at statistics. Compare:

1. Average age at which smokers develop cancer and average age which non-smokers develop cancer

2. percent of persons with cancer at any given age, especially upper ages to nonsmokers of the same age

Filter aging out of the smoking equation, and you'll see.

NOTE: I am neither pro tobbacco, nor a smoker, nor encouraging others to smoke. I merely tire of people tellign each other that 'smoking causes cancer' when it is a genetic thing, caused by being male and/or aging as our bodies lose the capacity to produce cells properly.

DE

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I'm smoking while reading and typing this. Glad to hear it!

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Very interesting. I too am a smoker, though not a heavy one *takes drag, inhales deeply* I know it really is not good for me but I have far more lung capacity than my wife and she�s a non-smoker. Oh, and I love your disclaimer. Way to cover you�re a$$ and be politically correct.

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I have known several people that had cancer. All of them were in their fifties.

I'm a non-smoker.

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 08:44 PM
link   
You are wrong.

"Smoking, while causing dozens of other ailments and pumping your body full of toxins..." Those toxins are what produce cancer.

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 08:45 PM
link   
~I smoke unfortunately. I've known many people who've had cancer. Few being on my dads side. But this doesn't necessarily mean they've smoked/smoked too much.

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ktprktpr
You are wrong.

"Smoking, while causing dozens of other ailments and pumping your body full of toxins..." Those toxins are what produce cancer.

~Very true. But these toxins don't stay in our systems forever. Many cells and enzymes in our bodies help fight off most of these chemicals and do away with most if not all of them. Much like we fight off diseases,colds,etc. But it's still no exception to smoke AT ALL. *Looks down in shame*

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Query: Where is the proof that these chemicals cause cancer? I have offered you statistics. These chemicals downright kill cells.

Smoking is inexcusable. period. You ruin other people's health, and you're own.

And I had to cover my ass or be flamed. But it is true...

DE

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 09:34 PM
link   
While in the service, I was exposed to asbestos. I served in the first Gulf War and was exposed to burning oil platforms.

My father's family has a major history of cancer, no one has lived past 55.

I smoke 1 1/2 packs a day. I smoke regular, menthol, and cloves. I smoke cigars every once in a while. I take snuff, too (NOT dip, snuff goes in the nose).

The doctors say I am perfectly healthy... but I figure, with family history, and the things from the service, at least with cigerettes, I know what is going to happen.

*puff*

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 09:46 PM
link   
My wife keeps reminding me of the commercial where the old fellow is telling his story of killing his wife and kids with his own smoking habit. My wife has asthma...I have reoccuring "lung biscuits"....yummy. As a smoker...it is BAD...but it depends on the person too...genes will tell how long one lives...and most of the men in my family have died from lung cancer. The women though live into their 90s plus...go figure. Get this...a lot of people have died from withdrawals from nicotine....yeppers...obviously it is not good for you....eh? I quit for a couple of years and had more energy than ever...now...smoking again...blah..blah..blah...hehe. I already have skin cancer...and whamo bamo...I smoke too...I think that is negative points in longevity....you think?

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Indeed. The toxin's will kill you, the ash will make your lungs black and rotted, and the chem will melt your throat. Still doesn't give you cancer.

DE

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 10:23 PM
link   
DeusEx- Those toxins create an environment where cancer grows. Now, the problem is that Science and I can not tell you how cancer develops. So I can't point out to a toxin and say aha! that's the one. But it suffuses the lungs with tar and crap. And the ingredients in that crap do cause cancer. How I do not know, but they do.

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Sounds like some desperate wheezing of the addicted...

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 10:34 PM
link   

DeusEx- Those toxins create an environment where cancer grows. Now, the problem is that Science and I can not tell you how cancer develops. So I can't point out to a toxin and say aha! that's the one. But it suffuses the lungs with tar and crap. And the ingredients in that crap do cause cancer. How I do not know, but they do.

wouldn't that be cause and effect? So if you look at it that way then cancer is the effect of smoking, and if that is true then wouldn't it also be true that smoking causes cancer?

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Smoking kills you. Fact.

Smoking causes cancer isn't a fact. toxins don't cause cancer. environments don't cause cancer. cancer is pure genetics.

DE

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx

Smoking kills you. Fact.

Smoking causes cancer isn't a fact. toxins don't cause cancer. environments don't cause cancer. cancer is pure genetics.

DE

So does these genetics include lung cancer, throat cancer, and any other cancer that has been directly linked to smoking?

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 11:01 PM
link   
"Statistically" it can be said that smoking one cigarette per day is just as dangerous as smoking three packs a day. No difference in long term diseases.

Of course, I worked in big Tobacco, so I've been indoctrinated in all kinds of pseudo science.

But I smoke three packs a day now...and don't give a [duck].

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Yes. Just because the toxic crap runs through those avenues, doesn't mean it spreads cancer. like I said, 30-50 cell divisions or more. Give or take two decades. Maybe more. Cancer normally begins to manifest at 40-55 years.

DE

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I've heard that, seen reports that once you smoke, stopping smoking changes nothing.

The American Cancer Society fights THAT finding like hell with counter research on cardio health...but can't refute the findings on cancer.

If you ever smoked...you might as well now in regards to Cancer. You don't die from your 50,000th cigarette, you die from the one you had at 18.

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 12:24 AM
link   
George Burns smoked and drank up until the day he died at age 100. There are many factors though, the air in which we breath is full of toxins when you mop your floor your inhaling chemicals, when you use any kind of cleaner in your home, your inhaling chemicals. Of course chemicals damage you horribly but i also agree that genetically speaking some people do have stronger more resiliant genes than others.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join