It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday Vault being prepared

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Plans have been unveiled for Svalbard International Seed Vault/ "doomsday" vault. Which will contain all seeds from around the world. The construction of the vault will begin in March and will be finished next year (2008). The vault's purpose is to protect the world's agriculture from future catastrophes like asteroids, climate change and nuclear war.

news.bbc.co.uk
"Can you imagine an effective, efficient, sustainable response to climate change, water shortages, food security issues without what is going to go in the vault - it is the raw material of agriculture."

The seed vault will be built 120m (364ft) inside a mountain on Spitsbergen, one of four islands that make up Svalbard.

Dr Fowler said that a proportion of the seeds housed at these banks would be deposited at Svalbard, which will act as a "living Fort Knox".

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I find this a little disturbing... If they are building a vault that is made to withstand such catastrophes, and in such a haste (built in 1 year), makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. Do they know something we don't?

The nuclear war scenario is pretty obvious, and the climate change, but why in such a hurry? Maybe something will happen this year or the next...

What about the human race? If any of those 3 catastrophes happen... well, then the human race won't make it. Except the rich or important people.

Thoughts anyone?

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Hasn't this vault idea been in the works for years with seeds being donated from all over the world? I don't think its a new idea and I don't think its being done because there is a threat of armageddon currently.I think they are just thinking ahead. Its kind of like a Time capsule or Sperm bank for seed stock in the event of a catastrophe.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Certainly INMO if it were the nuclear option, I doubt it would matter
considering MAD (mutually assured distruction) would ruin ALL life.

I do think I have heard of this somewhere else before, and I thought
there was something like this already in existence.

Let me see what I can find

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I think ive herd of this type of thing done in norway or finland before
Not sure tho

apc

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I have my own storage of seed. I think it's just a good idea. I think the builders agree. Especially these days.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Here is what was reported by the BBC in June of '06

BBC report
on the arctic seed vault

I am still looking for more because I thought I heard about this even
earlier.

I also thought they were planning something like this for the ISS but
haven't confirmed it. again let me look while I can (my internet time
is shared with my roommates so I cant do all the research I want as
fast as I want) this does intrigue me though

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I've read about the idea, and the one that's talked about here before.

It is to insure that all plant life is'nt annhialted in an extinction level
event that humans survive.

It's actually a good idea, I mean it's better to build it now, than find
out an asteroid is a month away, and have to build one.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 09:30 PM
link   
More

a lot of good stuff here (not all in english)

Global crop diversity trust

More of the same but dating back to 2004

Norway

There are many MANY more articles on this but they all seem to focus
on the Norway seed bank. I am looking to see if I can find anything else
relavent to this and my belief that it goes further back and also into space.

but, for now it appears at the very least that the Norway project is real
and underway (scary enough for me, or mabey just good 'ole healthy
paranoia) but it is real either way. I wonder if they are going to "vault"
DNA from all the different creatures as well?? Hmm

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Heres another idea but I haven't heard much about it

Moon as a DNA vault for all

I'll be back later as my time is up for tonight

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   
What about a false-flag attack on that? They could spin it and say that they are inhuman, hate the human race as a whole, blablabla... and attack any country they want. It would be cheaper in lives and money...

Just my 2 cents on how it could be used aside from a survival stand point.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I posted some info in ATS Fragile Earth and didn't see this thread at the time:
Global Warming: Doomsday Vault Starts in March

I would speculate they're rushing to completion for the following reasons:

1. Escalating wars
2. Nuclear proliferation
3. Climate change/global warming
5. Pole shift/magnetic field fading
4. Solar cycle 24: forecast extreme
5. Risng disease, famine & poverty
6. GM crop contamination
7. Global economic collapse
8. Galactic dust cloud
9. Dwindling natural resources
10. Earthquakes
11. Volcanoes
12. Mayan prophecy

With all that in mind, it would stand to reason to start a seed vault.

[edit on 10-2-2007 by Regenmacher]

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 11:30 PM
link   
How about an Adam and Eve?

I would offer my services if my ovaries hadnt dried up.

Sorry- couldnt help it...I think its the new meds i'm on.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I think its a pretty cool idea. No matter what the basis is behind it.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 04:32 AM
link   
I heard of a similar vault many years ago (maybe 10 or more), where they were putting blueprints of machines, documents, etc containing our current understanding of the world/sciences, and even some holy texts (bible, koran, etc) from various religions.

It was supposed to have plates with most commonly used words and meanings in many (20?) different languages, all saying the exact same things (ala Rosetta stone), for translation purposes.

If something was to happen to our civilisation, chances are that some remnant would survive. Once re-discovered, much of our tech could be recovered relatively quickly, and even if we are extinct, another civilisation would have some understanding of us and the way we lived and who we were.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Interesting. I think it is just a housekeeping excercise more than a response to a specific threat. I read somewhere that they are going to put a doomsday vault on the Moon at some point as well. Unfortunately i cant remember where i saw that. However if they really want to save civilisation as we know it they will have to put the sperm and ovaries or DNA samples of all the world's animals, marine and wildlife including humans in the vault. A sort of 21st century Alexandria library !!!

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 05:22 AM
link   
well...finaly they start with the 21 century version of Noach arch.....
preparing for the year 2012........

wats next??????

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 05:24 AM
link   
perhaps Spitbergen is the saviest place on earth then???
ca'nt imagin that they will build on a spot that won't survive...

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Thanks for all of you for your views and insight, and thanks AlienChaser for those links...

I heard about it, that they want to build one (took years of planning). But the thing that bothers me is, it'll be finished in 1 year, maybe less. Its as if they somehow know something is going to happen soon. All the scientists say that the ice-age will come in over a 100 years, the poles will take a 100 years, an asteroid will hit us in over 100 years... My point is, they predict that everything will happen after many years. But they build a Vault/Bunker, in 1 year... That made me wonder.

The wars are inevitable. but it won't destroy the Earth in an instant. And I have doubts that the (maybe, soon to be) Iran war will turn into a nuclear war. Launching a nuke is no joke, it WILL atart another World War, and that's a hard choice to make. Fight 1 or 2 countries... or the world.

Global Warming is unpredictable... it might be a ruse, or it might be true. The temperatures are rising, but no-one knows if it will keep rising in the future, or drop down to normal temperatures or maybe another ice-age, who knows?

Asteroids are a big problem... but wouldn't we spot one if it was a real threat? And predict (more or less) when it will hit? And wouldn't the world know about it? IF this may be the case (in why they are building it in such a haste), why are they not telling us?

This reminds me of the story of Noah... He builds a ship before the flood.
Now it's Norway building a vault, before a catastrophe happens.

Noah and Norway.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 07:18 AM
link   
There is also another reason. We are right now going through a major extinction event, both animal and plant. This is the most rapid extinction rate that's ever been, according to scientists.

I would imagine they are concerned about food sources survivng such a thing. As well, there is the risk of nuclear war. The U.S. has already said that they are going to be using a nuclear weapons against Iran.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
There is also another reason. We are right now going through a major extinction event, both animal and plant. This is the most rapid extinction rate that's ever been, according to scientists.

What I've heard, it'll take ages...

I would imagine they are concerned about food sources survivng such a thing. As well, there is the risk of nuclear war. The U.S. has already said that they are going to be using a nuclear weapons against Iran.

Nuclear war and using low-yield nuclear bombs are 2 different categories. The US are may use low-yield earth-penetrating nuclear bombs. It won't cause that much damage compared to a 10MT ICBM. You're right there is a risk of a nuclear war, but it is more improbable, that it'll happen. There are still 9 countries that has nuclear weapons. And as I said before, it'll be a big decision to start a nuclear war.

Sorry if I sounded rude... I didn't get much sleep.

new topics

top topics

join