It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4 Year Old Girl Marries 45-Year-Old To Settle Pakistani Dispute

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   
A bizarre marriage took place last month on the orders of a "Punchayat" or tribal council in northwestern Dera Ismail Khan town, Pakistan. A four year old Girl married a 45-year-old as a punishment because the girl's maternal uncle, Mohammad Farooq, had eloped with the adult niece of the bridegroom. Police acted only last week after rights activist raised the alarm.

newsinfo.inquirer.net
DERA ISMAIL KHAN, Pakistan -- A four-year old girl was married to a 45-year-old man in a remote Pakistan town to settle a feud, leading to the arrest of 12 people from two families, police said Friday.

The bizarre marriage took place last month on the orders of a Punchayat or tribal council in northwestern Dera Ismail Khan town but police acted only last week after rights activist raised the alarm.

The minor, Sumaira, was given in marriage to the middle-aged man, Mahboob Ahmed, as a punishment because the girl's maternal uncle, Mohammad Farooq, had eloped with the adult niece of the bridegroom, police said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is just unbelievable. When I read the headline, I thought it was a joke. This happened according to the orders of what they call "Punchayat" or tribal council.

The most puzzling part is that it took a long time before the authorities acted. Only when rights activist voiced their concerns. But then Police action just came too late.

[edit on 9-2-2007 by searching_for_truth]

[edit on 9/2/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Well, I think we need to look at what this mariage is.

Is it a sociopolitical marriage, in which case it was only for societal
and/or political reasons, or was this a marriage as in the adult in-
tended to have relations with the girl.

The problem is that when we think of marriage,we think of it diff-
erently than other cultures think of it.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   
It is a pathological marriage. That is the real reason we should be intervening. If no one said anything she could have been beaten and starved until dead, or close to it. Seen it too many times.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 05:28 AM
link   
It's not a marriage. It's a sick, twisted, perverted act. It's dragging an innocent victim, in this case a child, into a situation that she had nothing to do with.

It's also an attempt to rationalize the worst type of crime, pedophilia.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 05:36 AM
link   
This is disgusting and stupid. Why should that little girl pay for what her Uncle did? Man the world is going down the tubes.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 05:52 AM
link   
According to my friends from that country, people from that particular region are totally messed up. They say that "if you come across a snake and a man from Dera, kill the snake later."

I can imagine those sort of people. There are some of them everywhere you go

It's interesting to note that "Dera" means abuse in Malay. I'm not sure what it means in Urdu (what they speak in that area).

top topics

join