It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

States Ban Driving Distractions

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 06:36 AM
link   
We already know some states have a ban on cellphone use while driving, but what about eating? Vermont lawmakers are considering just that. Eating, drinking, smoking, grooming; these could all be a thing of the past for drivers in some states. Similar laws are being considered in many other states. The punishment for getting caught, a fine that could be as much as $600.

news.yahoo.com
BARRE, Vt. - Put down the flute and keep your eyes on the road. And forget about sipping that cup of coffee on the way to work, or smoking a cigarette on the way home. In some states, it could soon be illegal — if it isn't already.

Emboldened by the passage of cell phone bans for drivers in some communities, states are turning their attention to other things that drive motorists to distraction.

Vermont lawmakers are considering a measure that would ban eating, drinking, smoking, reading, writing, personal grooming, playing an instrument, "interacting with pets or cargo," talking on a cell phone or using any other personal communication device while driving. The punishment: a fine of up to $600.

Similar bills are under consideration in Maryland and Texas, and Connecticut has passed one that generically bans any activity that could interfere with the safe operation of a motor vehicle.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Are we to view this as a violation of our personal rights or a law to protect us. It seems most Americans will say it is a violation of their rights. I feel common sense shouldn't need to be a law. It should be common sense for us to buckle up. We shouldn't need laws to tell us it's not a good idea to drive while holding a phone in one hand, a cigarette in the other, sipping your morning coffee all while driving 60-70mph down the street with thousands of other motorists doing the same thing. Some laws really are necesary for our own well being.

Related News Links:
www.stateline.org
www.marketwire.com

[edit on 2/9/2007 by dirty_underground]

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 07:47 AM
link   

I feel common sense shouldn't need to be a law

It shouldn't have to be. BUT ... the world is full of idiots who somehow weren't weeded out through natural selection and therefore these laws are needed.

I am fully in favor of these laws. When I go out on the road I am putting my life, and my daughters life, at risk.

One day while stopped at a stop light my daughter and I counted the number of cars going by that had people driving while talking on their cell phones. The number was 1/3 of the drivers were on cell phones. (rush hour) This is totally unacceptable. Those selfish yahoos put us all in danger.

As for the laws ... I vote a big

Sometimes common sense has to be legislated. There is a severe shortage of common sense these days.

apc

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I am all for banning the activities that are statistically proven to be a hazard, namely cellphone talking. The hazard comes from the focus point of the mind being on the conversation and not the road.

Eating and smoking however, the only real hazard comes from some renegade BBQ sauce or a displaced cherry (the ember). There is an equal hazard from some bird crapping right in the middle of the windshield. These things are laughable to outlaw.

I have a feeling the actual target here is smokers. I quit smoking a long time ago, and I have always been disgusted when I see people flick their flaming trash out the window. But in no way do I feel there should be a law against people smoking in their own cars.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I used to work as a transcriptionist for an insurance company, transcribing traffic accidents, among other things. You wouldn't believe the number of accidents caused by cell phones. I do think cell phones should be banned, because of that. As for eating and drinking, I never saw an accident that was caused by that, although there was one and only one, caused by cigarette smoking. Problem is, with a cell phone, a person might be getting really bad news, like their mother just died unexpectedly, their stocks fell completely and they're totally broke, etc. You get the idea, these things would indeed be dangerous, to get a horrible phone call in the middle of traffic.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Are they also going to ban me from transporting my kids. Because for those that have kids, you know that is the single largest distraction while driving. When the screaming starts and I get beaned in the back of the head by a flying Bratz doll...

I find this as just another reason for someone to be pulled over. "Well no you weren't speeding or driving eratically, but I know I saw you take a drink of soda and that could have caused a major pile up. Please step out of the car!"

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Sometimes common sense has to be legislated. There is a severe shortage of common sense these days.

Sadly, I agree. When I do eat while driving, I'm extra, extra, super careful and aware. But not everyone is. I actually saw a lady putting on makeup AND reading while driving. The car was moving!!!

I hate these laws and I don't need them as I'm one of the most consciencious drivers on the planet, but some people are just idiots.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   
There has been a ban on using cell phones without a hands free unit here in the UK for several years now. However, I still see so many people driving, negotiating roundabouts and junctions with a phone to their ear. The ones that really get to me are the big cars, Merc's, 6 Series BMW's etc with a driver holding a phone to their ear. £60K or more on a car but can't be bothered to get an in-car phone kit or a £30 bluetooth headset

The police here have been known to also prosecute drivers for eating or drinking at the wheel. The classic was a woman who stopped at a red light on her way back from the gym and whilst stationary took a swig from a bottle of water. Cops saw her and issued a ticket, even though she was not even moving.

Common sense is required not only from the driving public but from law enforcement as well. Unfortunately, with more and more officers being replaced with CCTV traffic systems, the likelihood of people being caught diminishes. Cameras do not catch drunk, drugged or dangerous drivers.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 11:24 AM
link   

I can't agree with you more. It's a shame that these days we have to say that but hey. That's the society we live in. People just need to remember there is a line that shouldn't be crossed.

[edit on 9-2-2007 by sbailey85]

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   
this is just another ..item..to get the population use to the govt having control over all aspects of your activity. wheather it is banning smoking in any public place, or cell phone use in cars, or,in albany NY, they are looking at enacting a ban on...are you sitting down.....ipod use WHILE CROSSING THE STREET, or any number of seemingly small things that are 'good for your saftey'......it is all to, once again , get the citizens accustom to govt controls on all levels

think of all the little things that one could consider a distraction.....maybe if children are to be transported in a vehicle, it must have a physical separation from the driver..better yet the driver should be totaly enclosed in a metal box that can only be opened by the police with a special key.....

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
There are two different types of distractions here, controllable and uncontrollable. You can't control having the kids in the car, they will be a distraction no matter what. You can control the other factors which will make it that more safe. Imagine phone, cigarette, drinking, AND kids. Not a good scenario. Now reduce that to only the kids, most people can handle that well enough to drive. I do not think this is part of the master plan of control. If we as a society can't figure out common sense then maybe we need to be controlled. I for one will feel a lot safer driving knowing the idiot beside me isn't on his phone arguing, while eating his breakfast, drinking his latte, while speeding to work so he's not late.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   
The sad thing here is that the more law we enact, the more folks rely on these laws and the more law some of us will eventually want/need.

Although we have a lot of folks LACKING common snese, laws will not give them common sense. In fact, it will most likely create and even large number of folks with no common sense.
I fail to see how this will be a long-term fix.

We need the government out of our lives...

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   
DontTreadOnMe makes a very valid point here. Maybe that is part of the reason people lack the common sense they once had. So many laws now governing their lives so they actually have to think less about things that they do. Good Point.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   
The thing is there are different types of drivers. If I knew how to juggle I could probably do it fairly safely while driving, as long as there weren't large turns. That being said I've been driving for over 30 years, never suspended. I think that this is looking at the median here. It will be insulting for those of us that have been behind the wheel for decades but drivers that don't have the experience might NEED these laws.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I have been driving now for 10 years, 8 of which I have been a smoker, all of which I have eaten food while driving, and you can damn sure bet when I need a sip of monster energy I am gonna take it. My cars are always a manual (standard) transmission. I could care less what the "law" says. I have never once caused an accident, I have been involved in 2 both of which were caused by distracted drivers. Some people can handle it, some people can not. It's defensive driving, you pay attention to your surroundings, in a changing society these surroundings change. Afterall this is why you have a Drivers License anyway. At some point you had to demonstrate you were aware enough to drive a vehicle. I always have an escape route (whenever possible). Never assume a driver is going to do what you are expecting them to do.

Bad drivers do a fine job of weeding themselves out on their own. A smashed up car is sometimes what it takes to open peoples eyes, sad but true. I mean everytime you drive you are taking a risk, live with it. Everytime you eat you take the risk of choking. Your time will come when your time comes, but its like a choose your own adventure, many roads lead to an untimely death, however you can get past them sometimes.

This law is solely for the purpose of profit. $600 a pop? How much would THAT add up to.

[edit on 9-2-2007 by BluByWho]

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
The thing is there are different types of drivers. If I knew how to juggle I could probably do it fairly safely while driving, as long as there weren't large turns. That being said I've been driving for over 30 years, never suspended. I think that this is looking at the median here. It will be insulting for those of us that have been behind the wheel for decades but drivers that don't have the experience might NEED these laws.

Indeed, it is sad that a few ruin it for all. I can understand cell phones, but from my own experience eating/drinking while driving isn't much of a distraction (given you aren't attempting to eat a plate of saucy wings or a bowl of soup
)

[edit on 2/9/2007 by somedude]

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I am soon to become a semi-truck driver. They already tried to outlaw truckers from smoking in their vehicle here in Ohio. This food is next??? I will have drive 12 hours straight without eating, smoking or being able to call my family, unless I stop which would eventually become a problem with my progress.

This law is horrible. We got people sleeping on the street, and I can't smoke in my own car.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Thank god ,first off I am an auto enthusiast,(or motorhead as we like to say in the USA) no eating in the car ! Ever .you want to eat! go find a picnic table .lol .
And as far as cell phones go ( I've had 6 since 1997) and they stay in the center console ,and that's were they sit ,never talked once in my life while driving ( 33 years now ) . Can't wait for the day when people drive cars and pay attention . I love it ! Bring all these laws in . ya man .

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
I am all for banning the activities that are statistically proven to be a hazard, namely cellphone talking. The hazard comes from the focus point of the mind being on the conversation and not the road.

Eating and smoking however, the only real hazard comes from some renegade BBQ sauce or a displaced cherry (the ember). There is an equal hazard from some bird crapping right in the middle of the windshield. These things are laughable to outlaw.

This is exactly why cell phones are dangerous. Your sub-concience pays to much attention to a voice on the phone because the other communication cues are not there. Its our basic instinct and it is hardwired. We need to see the facial expresion for smiles and frowns and to see if we are going to be harmed. When on the phone most of the sub-concience brain power we use for driving switches to survival mode.

Good post apc!

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
Common sense is required not only from the driving public but from law enforcement as well. Unfortunately, with more and more officers being replaced with CCTV traffic systems, the likelihood of people being caught diminishes. Cameras do not catch drunk, drugged or dangerous drivers.

Its a shame when we replace officers with machines. Will a machine actually be able to help you if something bad happens?

[edit on 9-2-2007 by JamesMcMahn]

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Oh Lord,
So when we take our between 3 and 10 hour drives to visit friends, we will now be forced to stop to eat, drink or smoke. I consume huge amounts of water on a trip.
Puppy must be locked in a kennel?
Can I hold Hubby's hand or will that be a distraction?
Can I listen to the radio?
Can we talk to each other? Talking can be rather distracting.
We are vigilant bird watchers, can we still gaze into the sky?
Will they ban extremely dark sunglasses?
If kids aren't banned in motor vehicles will they mandate a drug to calm them down?
I guess I will just have to create a savings account for all the tickets I'll be getting

I agree with the cell phone ban though.
Well, let us all enjoy the last few moments of a free America.
I have had 25 years of eating, drinking and smoking on the road around the world, without a single accident.
Who asked us?
WIS

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join