It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Believe in god not religion.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 09:23 AM
link   
True Christianity is not a religion, it is Faith based on the Word.

Religion is something you do

Faith is something you feel

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Why should one believe in a god at all? What is the purpose?

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Landis

It's simply a choice.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by thebox

It's simply a choice.

Simply believing in God is not what it's about. Satan himself "believes" in God.

Tell me, would a relationship with God hurt your life (anyone, feel free to respond)?

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by jbondo...Simply believing in God is not what it's about. Satan himself "believes" in God.

Tell me, would a relationship with God hurt your life (anyone, feel free to respond)?

For what purpose? Why should I take the time and exert the effort?

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 11:46 AM
link   

For what purpose? Why should I take the time and exert the effort?

He could say the same about you.

I can only answer this from a Christian point of view. That being said there are many reasons. The first of which is Salvation.

Salvation comes thru Jesus Christ. He can lift all sin off your shoulders and make you clean. Once you are saved you have a place in Heaven and if you work from your Salvation you will be rewarded once you get there.

Having a relationship with God allows you to lean on Him. You will no longer have to handle everything alone again.

A good place to start is here: www.godandscience.org...

and here: equip.org...

As always this is my belief and everyone is free to believe what they want.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   
What makes one so sure there is a God?
The syncronicity of life here.
What makes one so sure there is a purpose?Seeking the Hand of the Father in all things......looking for the oportunity to give love to others.
This is Gods Gift to us......the chance to share and perfect our love here on this planet.
Is god some old greybearded guy?NO
God is the sum of all love and compassion,God is the total of all awareness in this universe and all others.
He says I AM that I AM.
That is enough for me.....
God is the ultimate awareness beyond space and time.
In whom we exist.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I'm not worried about dying.

I don't care about sin as long as I act responsibly.

Why would I want to be saved? When I'm dead, I'm dead.

Heaven is a concept, a matter of faith, not a fact.

I don't need to lean on a god. I rely on myself.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   
berble comment not really relevant me thinks as it is just conjecture you can't put forward an argument for the existence of/believing in something by just saying it is.

There is noone that can say you should take the time and effort that is your choice. You took the time an effort to ask the question so surely that shows that merely being curious is a path in itself to enlightenment (whichever path you may choose).

Yes all religions do have the same archetypes that are constant there is no doubt and in fact most of the major world religions judaism islam and christianity are based on the same principles or teachings. In fact islam is just a revision on christianity by the prophet muhammed where he believes the teachings of the bible have been tainted by the hand of man and was instructed by god to create the quran.

To say that your belief is better or worse than someone elses is ridiculous and to fight over religion is a paradigm in itself. Jesus says here's a good one to throw out

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I believe in Taoism. The way of life. Religion was made by people to make money. There was this thing on the history channel about "the machines of the gods". It basically talked about how priests of the old days would devise ways (like automatic opening doors, floating chariots, and so on) to get people to come into their church and donate money. The first ever vending machine was built by Harren and you would put a coin into this machine and it would dispense some holy water... NIFFTY.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Sadly, the main reason there is so much conflict in the world is due to our disconnection from the Great Spirit and Mother Goddess.

We are all one, have always been one, and will be one for eternity. There is no denying this fact of life. We are what we think, do, eat, etc. By having an idea that life is this thing you do and then die, we cut ourselves off from eternal life...

I am not a Christian, Muslim, or Jew. I believe in one GOD, the only one there is and it is a part of every facet of our lives. No matter what you say or think, God is always here. He/She/It is not a waste of our time and energy. Have you ever thought that your idea that God is not real causes only you harm?

Wake up my brothers and sisters. The time (also a construct of our mind) has come to unite and claim our birthright; co-creators bringing heaven down to earth. We can do it if we try even a little bit. The groundwork has been done by thousands of lightworkers. Now it is time for the rest of the masses to start putting a little effort in as well.

Wake up from your spiritual slumber. Know who you are and be what you are: a child of God, no different than the "savior" Jesus/Yeshua (a great teacher, but no "God").

Christianity misses the main point of his teachings by claiming his godliness. He is a son of God as all of us are sons and daughters of God.

As Einstein said, "It is difficult to say what truth is, but sometimes it is easy to recognize a falsehood."

Really ask yourself and be honest. Do you believe a person would be the almighty God Jah Rastafari, First Source, the O.N.E., True Love/True Light, Father/Mother God?

Does it resonate in your heart that Yeshua/Jesus was a prophet along with his female counterpart Miryai?

Let the light be within and without. Be a beacon of love in this time of darkness.

Peace, love, and infinite understanding,

biggie smalls

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   

I'm not worried about dying.

Why would I want to be saved? When I'm dead, I'm dead.

Heaven is a concept, a matter of faith, not a fact.

I don't need to lean on a god. I rely on myself.

I dont know why people as close minded and steadfast in their beliefs as this waste time asking questions about religion or God except to annoy the faithful. IF you want to believe you simply blink out of existance, then why do you bother coming to these threads? I think yo uare insecure about your beliefs and misery loves company, well look for it elsewhere.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan...I dont know why people as close minded and steadfast in their beliefs as this waste time asking questions about religion or God except to annoy the faithful. IF you want to believe you simply blink out of existance, then why do you bother coming to these threads? I think yo uare insecure about your beliefs and misery loves company, well look for it elsewhere.

I'm closed-minded because I don't believe what you believe?

I've asked my questions in this thread because I've spent 50 years trying to understand why people believe in gods. I still can't figure it out. My participation here has nothing to do with "annoying the faithful".

You think I am insecure about my beliefs. I think you're terribly wrong, and I'll wager that I'm much happier than people who spend their lives walking on eggs so they don't piss off their particular god.

Is it illegal to ask questions in this forum?

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Evolution can't even produce a pencil over millions of years let alone complex life. It is clear that this reality is a hologram. Matter at a sub atomic level is mostly empty space. The world we live in is in our heads. Everything we see is energy which our brains turn into reality. The universe is hologram. I would ask you did we evolve into a hologram our is there a god projecting the hologram.

"reality is an illusion all be it a presistent one"

A Einstein

[edit on 9-2-2007 by rich1974]

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   

When you think about the ten commandments etc they are just every day rules to live by commonsense rules really that help any society to grow and achieve.
DON't need no religion or faith to do this.

Just responsible members of society.

The problem is commonsense in all societies is rarer than hens teeth.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   
How did people survive before the Ten Commandments?

There was order before Christianity. There were people who respected their marriages, refrained from murdering other people, respected their parents, didn't lie, didn't steal.

Religion and faith seem to feel they've cornered the market on virtue. This simply isn't so. Decent human behavior depends upon each individual and how he/she chooses to live his/her life.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   
"Believe in god not religion."

With this, I agree 100%.

Having a relationship with God is, for many people, a comforting and spiritually
fulfilling part of their life, and I see nothing at all wrong with that, although it's
not my personal cup o' tea.

Religion, however, is not a construct of God. Religion (ANY religion) was created
by MEN as a means of controlling the masses through fear, and as a means to
part said masses from their hard earned money. It is staffed by people to lazy
to earn a living doing anything that even slightly resembles work. The perfect
scam, as the only people who can 100% debunk religion are DEAD. Only they
could report reliably on the existence of an afterlife, heaven, eternal damnation,
or whether there's a God to judge us at all.

And they ain't talkin'.

How many thousands of people have been killed in the name of religion?
I don't say "in the name of God" because to my knowledge God has never
handed out decrees authorizing killing on his behalf. And don't throw any
Old Testament bible quotes at me, as the bible was written by MEN originally,
and has been translated several times by MEN who wanted it to show their
connection with holy bloodlines. (i.e. King James)

How many people have had their life savings siphoned away by some
smooth-talking "man of God"?

How many people have lived a life of guilty self-torture due to being told
They were a "sinner"?

How many people have have denied themselves the pleasures that life
has to offer, because they were told these pleasures were "sinful" and "un-Godly"?

So I agree. Worshiping God is a wonderful thing for those who feel the need.

But, by all means, stay away from religion!

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by rich1974
Evolution can't even produce a pencil over millions of years let alone complex life. It is clear that this reality is a hologram. Matter at a sub atomic level is mostly empty space. The world we live in is in our heads. Everything we see is energy which our brains turn into reality. The universe is hologram. I would ask you did we evolve into a hologram our is there a god projecting the hologram.

"reality is an illusion all be it a presistent one"

A Einstein

uhh..I am not sure why you chose to direct that towards me...

I said that everything is a part of one energy....I said that we didn't evolve from single celled amoebas.....In so many words, I said we were created, but that evolution still exists....

You can believe in evolution and believe in a catalyst theory such as a creator as well....Just because evolution DOES exist does not mean that the same energy that flows through us and around us and the entire universe did not enable/create evolution as well....

[edit on 9-2-2007 by Azazelus]

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I have a better suggestion to the OP.

Don't believe in religion nor God. Don't follow blind faith for anything.

It's really not neccssary.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   
"I agree with your entire post, OP, except that last part about evolution being a joke".

If that was not direct ay my post, I apologize.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join