It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm Intrepid and I'm appearently a racist.....

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by phoenixhasrisin
I might get my ghetto pass revoked for this, but i'll let you in on a little secret, it happens because many black people in the U.S are extremely racist.

I had a black sociology professor once who said in class that it is impossible for black people to be racist. What a bunch of malarky. In my life I have experienced racism from both sides, white and black. Let me tell you, I have experienced more from black people though.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006
Well, what gives you the right to blame the black people on this board for your racist encounters? Nobody here had nothing to do with your encounters. No one needs to feel guilty here for what happened to you.

It sucks to be blamed and expected to "feel guilty" for something you didn't do based on your skin color, doesn't it? I'm not saying that's what Intrepid did, but based on what you have said, I can tell you feel he did.

No one here carried the duffel bag.

And no one here owned slaves. Examine your own attitudes toward white people for once. Hear the double standard you are supporting.

But you are doing the same thing to Black people that you are accusing the Black people (and other people of color) of doing to you.

And do you acknowledge that that's what some black people (including you) do here on the board?

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by nextguyinline
Pay attention to the non-blacks you hold the door open for as well, you'll see it's the same.

It is definately not the same. I have been paying attention for quite a while now. I'd say 85% black don't say hello or thank you and about 45% white don't. BTW, I run into more black people in downtown DC than I do white. White people are the minority here.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   
You know, Ceci's right about this:

Well, what gives you the right to blame the black people on this board for your racist encounters? Nobody here had nothing to do with your encounters. No one needs to feel guilty here for what happened to you. No one here carried the duffel bag.

What does truthseeka have to do with the dufflebag incident? Yet you tied him to it by the way your post was composed... whether you meant to or not. But most of us are aware that when we include "bad thing that happened" and "such and such person" in the same breath, the brain associates the two of them.

Not cool.

Edit to clarify that this referred to Intrepid's OP.

[edit on 9-2-2007 by jsobecky]

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I would like to bring an unbiased fact to the table, since I will remain neutral in this discussion:

Slavery is not just brought about by one party or another. African tribesmen would kidnap rival tribespeople or even their own tribespeople to sell as slaves for guns and other items they desired. Slavery of African's was not brought about by just one party, the other evenly contributed to this terrible attrocity. I will remain neutral on this subject.

Please remember to keep your D-Egos in check

Thanks,
AAO

APOLOGY: Sorry for the double post, it did not take me to my post so I figured it didn't post. My mistake.

[edit on 2/9/2007 by AlphaAnuOmega]

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
BH,

You are a good person with a wonderful heart. But I don't know where you get off of misunderstanding and using the sentiments of other people without their consent. You can say all you want about not having to have any permission or guilt to feel the way you do.

But where is your common decency? Do you have any?

Originally quoted by BH
And no one here owned slaves. Examine your own attitudes toward white people for once. Hear the double standard you are supporting.

Talk about the insecurity of yourself being called racist. I've told you my attitudes about white people once. And none of those feelings have ever been what has been concocted in your mind.

I'm not talking in double standards because I never blamed any anscestors of anyone here. Most of my discussions have always been about institutional racism.

But knowing how you misconstrue things, carpe diem.

[edit on 9-2-2007 by ceci2006]

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff

Originally posted by phoenixhasrisin
I might get my ghetto pass revoked for this, but i'll let you in on a little secret, it happens because many black people in the U.S are extremely racist.

I had a black sociology professor once who said in class that it is impossible for black people to be racist. What a bunch of malarky. In my life I have experienced racism from both sides, white and black. Let me tell you, I have experienced more from black people though.

Been a while, Griff.

Your sociology professor was full of spit. I know plenty of racist people: black, white, Latino, Asian.

BUT, black people are FAR LESS LIKELY to be in a position to practice institutional, as opposed to personal, racism. Personal racism is far less harmful than institutional racism.

So, when you hear black people talk about racism, it is most likely institutional. When white people talk about it, it is most likely personal. HUGE difference there.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
Been a while, Griff.

Your sociology professor was full of spit. I know plenty of racist people: black, white, Latino, Asian.

BUT, black people are FAR LESS LIKELY to be in a position to practice institutional, as opposed to personal, racism. Personal racism is far less harmful than institutional racism.

So, when you hear black people talk about racism, it is most likely institutional. When white people talk about it, it is most likely personal. HUGE difference there.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I don't think that is what he ment though as the context of the class wasn't about that. It is hard to remember because I had this class over 13 years ago....Yikes, I'm getting old.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   
That argument doesn't work alpha, seen it used many times.

The problem is it then gets rid of the ability to blame others for your problems. On top of that, they would just say that whites forced the west africaners to capture others.

Most blacks don't know is that whites enslaved Indians first... only they could run away and hide, regroup and attack, they knew how to live off the land, so they could not be trusted to stay in one field. So slavery ended, untill the Dutch - not the English - brought over some black Africans. They where permitted to live side by side in society at first, only later when the real "slave trade" which began in the Caribean, took off did Africans in America loose all rights. It was not about color, it was about 2 things - finding large populations and working them economically and 2, finding someone who had never seen this land before and could not run away.

Most whites (I know there are ignorant racist out there now so not all) who don't like blacks in general, do so because they don't like black "culture". I don't like black culture, if a black person where to come up to me with their "ghetto" attitude I would surly tell them off. But I do that to whites too. I hate whites who act "black" you know? Asians and Hispanics to. Maybe I like my own culture, maybe I like manners, I dont know, but it has nothing to do with skin color. I party every weekend with black men who I would consider "white" if I was not looking right at them. (Oh, they hate "black" culture as well)

So, if you want to find out why some people are racist, or if someone even appears racist, I would advise you make sure there is not some other sound reason behind it. Unless me not liking "black" culture is racist in its self. If so, guilty as charged.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   

You are a piece of work.
You are a good person with a wonderful heart.

For the love of all things holy -
stop editing and REediting and REREediting and REREREediting insults. :shk:

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
I party every weekend with black men who I would consider "white" if I was not looking right at them. (Oh, they hate "black" culture as well)

These would be considered "Uncle Toms". The black community also hates them. Black people don't like it when other black people "make it". It shows that there really isn't as much racism (intitutional) as many would have you believe. I'm not saying it doesn't happen.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally written by FlyersFan

quote: Originally posted by ceci2006
You are a piece of work.

For the love of all things holy -
stop editing and REediting and REREediting and REREREediting insults.

FF, And stop personally harassing me, taunting me and making personal attacks. Do the right thing and finally leave me alone. Or else, I will call a mod to intervene.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   

stop personally harassing me, taunting me and making personal attacks.

I have NOT had my posting rights taken away. At this time I can post and respond to posts of anyone on this board I darn well please.

Obviously you don't like the fact that your so-called 'scholarly information' can be easily taken apart. That's not 'harrassing'. That's not 'taunting'. That's not 'making personal attacks'. (Example for you - calling people 'Miss Scarlett' is a personal attack.)

This is a discussion board and you don't get to cherry-pick those who respond.

My asking to you cease editing, reediting, and rereediting your insults and posts is NOT harrassing. It's asking you to stop trolling. Deal with it.

Or else, I will call a mod to intervene.

THIRD edit of the same darn post.

Oh please .. go ahead and call one. If I get asked to not respond to you ... so be it. But as of yet that hasn't happened and I will continue to treat you as I do everyone else ..

[edit on 2/9/2007 by FlyersFan]

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   

BH,

How do you know that I am a good person with a wonderful heart if you have never seen common decency from me? How can you say these two things together?

To answer your question, yes. I have a great deal of common decency. Ceci, if you met me on the street and got to know me you would LOVE me! I'm serious. I say hi to everyone. I call people "sir" and "maam" regardless of their age, color, whatever. I smile at EVERYONE! I wave from behind my steering wheel at other people. I joke with the guy at the meat counter. I am compassionate and very generous. I cry at touching commercials and for people who are hurting. People adore me. There's no reason for me to think that you wouldn't.

But I'm afraid that because I said a long time ago that you have a controlling personality, you have never been able to get over that. I'm sorry. It was not my place to tell you that. You didn't ask for my opinion and I shouldn't have given it without your requesting it.

I never blamed any anscestors of anyone here. Most of my discussions have always been about institutional racism.

Yet you want me to feel guilt for it. Because of my skin color.

[edit on 9-2-2007 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I've wondered for a long time if the whole race issue is more cultural than actually racial. The whole thing about ghetto culture, which I find tiresome and immature whether it's adopted by black, white or asian, is that to many it's offensive, aggressive and intimidating. I mix with people of different ethnicity a lot but the ones I tend to be most comfortable to be around are those who have the same outlook as me, not neccessarily exllusively the same but share common values and aims. I don't know if this is right, wrong, understandable or simply human nature and I realise even with such people you'll always get some sad provocative A hole who wants to make a deal out of their colour or origins.

This whole question was summed up in a recent programme here in the UK on race where people were asked if they veiwed the black UK soccer player Ian Wright as English. Some people can't, I do, he's as English as fish and chips to me. I'd say thats closer to racism IMO, excluding someone purely on the grounds of ethnicity and origin rather than culture.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff

Originally posted by Rockpuck
I party every weekend with black men who I would consider "white" if I was not looking right at them. (Oh, they hate "black" culture as well)

These would be considered "Uncle Toms". The black community also hates them. Black people don't like it when other black people "make it". It shows that there really isn't as much racism (intitutional) as many would have you believe. I'm not saying it doesn't happen.

Aw, damn, Griff.

You fell into that trap. It seems to me that whites like to say blacks don't like ANY successful blacks. That is taurus feces. The reason we don't like Uncle Toms is that they're sellouts, NOT because they "make it," as you say. They're the modern version of the "house 'n-word'," who eventually assimilated with the master so much that he himself hated the "field 'n-word'."

So please, DON'T fall into that. It's disdain for those who abandon their culture for another, which leads the deserter to look down on the others as though the deserter had suddenly become white. There are plenty of succesful black people who are admired by other blacks.

I'm so sick of that stupid idea...

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
It's disdain for those who abandon their culture for another...

What's wrong with abandoning a culture? What if a person doesn't like the culture they grow up in and finds another one more appealing? Should he hold himself back from pursuing a culture he thinks he might be more happy in?

I don't hate Eminem for "abandoning his culture". He's not a "deserter". He's who he is and I like him.

which leads the deserter to look down on the others as though the deserter had suddenly become white.

You're assuming that the "deserter" looks down on you (as though he was white)

Hey, dude, he who throws taurus feces shouldn't live in a glass house or something.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   
It makes sense to me that if you check all the black people ... then you will catch all the black people ... If you check on the Muslims .. than guess what the percentage is ... More muslims .. doing things they shouldn't ... this is just what I see as true ...

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Well I'll take a decidedly non-PC stance here and say I don't care what you were thinking about. Even if you were watching this guy because he was black, I still think it's entirely appropriate. Statistics is a hard math and science, and you can't deny it shows that blacks are responsible for far more crimes per capita than whites. Likewise, I think it's perfectly logical to carefully search all muslim men at an airport but give just cursory examination to old white grandmothers. It's all about dedicating resource to where they're likely to be most efficiently used.

[edit on 2/8/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Truthseeker,

I have a question then. Why did the black community codemn Bill Cosby when he spoke out about the ills of the black community?

Also, why are people like Condeleeza Rice and Colon Powle considered "Uncle Toms"? Is it because they work for the white man or because they are successful? I understand where you are coming from, but in my experience it has been the other way around. Just because a black man is successful, he is called "Uncle Tom". That's just my experience I am going by and I'm starting to cross the line of stereotyping (which I abhore).

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

How do you know that I am a good person with a wonderful heart if you have never seen common decency from me? How can you say these two things together?

To answer your question, yes. I have a great deal of common decency. Ceci, if you met me on the street and got to know me you would LOVE me! I'm serious. I say hi to everyone. I call people "sir" and "maam" regardless of their age, color, whatever. I smile at EVERYONE! I wave from behind my steering wheel at other people. I joke with the guy at the meat counter. I am compassionate and very generous. I cry at touching commercials and for people who are hurting. People adore me. There's no reason for me to think that you wouldn't.

Well, I think in RL you would like me too. I am very loving, kind and respectful person. I'm funny as well. But, I always have a kind word to say to anyone from all walks of life. I just wonder how you could say the things you do about me if you are just as kind as I am.

But I'm afraid that because I said a long time ago that you have a controlling personality, you have never been able to get over that. I'm sorry. It was not my place to tell you that. You didn't ask for my opinion and I shouldn't have given it without your requesting it.

I accept your apology. And I am extremely sorry for all the things I've done to hurt you. I shouldn't have said the things I did to you. I just hope that we can patch things up.

But, we do need to talk things out.

That's all I want.

Yet you want me to feel guilt for it. Because of my skin color.

Respectfully, I disagree. I am not asking you to feel guilty. I am asking you to acknowledge that they happen. That's different from experiencing guilt. If you say that you feel compassion for others, what is the harm of acknowledging what happens of institutional racism? Part of that acknowledgement is knowing the history behind it. It has nothing to do with blame. But it has to do with having the knowledge of what happens so you can do the right thing the next time when you see injustices occuring in the same fashion in RL.

That is what I wanted to clarify to you.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join