It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm Intrepid and I'm appearently a racist.....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   
........ because I'm white.

Alternate title of this thread:

Sins of the Father and the Grandfather and his Father.....

I'm going to use this thread to address certain issues on this as opposed to derailing other threads. I'm getting REALLY tired of posts like this:

Originally posted by name removed
Like Foxy said, stop blaming the victim, BH.

I don't see why you can't get it through your damn head. We're talking about people who were treated like animals for generations. People who, despite trying to make something of themselves since the end of the Civil War, have been hindered again and again and again and again.

I dunno...it seems like you relish blaming poor black Americans, as you gloss over the impact of whites who established and maintained the system for generations.

Who did I victimize? Who did I hinder?

Let me tell you about a RL episode. I was working as a floor walker about 12 years ago. These 2 guys came into this store with an open duffle bag. One was black the other white. I was watching them both. They were pro's. They found me out and the black guy says that I'm watching him because he was black. I almost kicked his ass on the spot for calling me a racist. I was watching them because they came in with an open duffle bag.

I'm tired, DAMN tired of being accused of being a racist because of the colour of MY skin.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I'm tired, DAMN tired of being accused of being a racist because of the colour of MY skin.
Your not the only one. I feel you, and Im sick of it too.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Kind of hard to comment on the first quote since I would want to read the thread in context first, but with regard to your RL issue, I would say you were labled that because you were security for the store.

African Americans are known for that and also label all cops/police as racist the minute they see them. I can only assume that is the way they are raised but I am not sure.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Do you have any other examples?

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Another interestign RL story:

A mexican buddy of mine came to visit me in the Pacific Northwest. Now our area isn't really known for its cultural diversity, so he and I were sharing some barbs about how he might be treated when he arrived.

Of course, in my mind I'm thinking that it's all kind of a joke.

So the first place we stop is a burger stand and I couldn't believe my eyes when the white security guard didn't take his eyes off my friend the ENTIRE time we were in there. I was PISSED...I mean what the hell is that?!?

My friend shook his head and said, "All the time man...happens all the time."

I'm the most whitebread cracker on earth, but I tell you what, if I got the evil eye the way my friend got it that day...ALL THE TIME...I'd probably start hating whitey too.

Now don't get me wrong, I HATE it when people play the "my ancestors were wronged by your ancestors and now YOU owe ME" card. But the fact is that there are a lot of races that don't get a lot of love from whitey every day. NOW. CURRENTLY.

Would I act different...have a more "level head" if I was black / mexican / whatever?
Would you?

Hard to say...we'd like to think so, but...

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   
This is a serious issue that white people face today. White men to be specific. Thanks to affirmative action, the pendulum has been swinging for some time now. Unfortunately, it appears to of swung to far in the other direction. Isn't affirmative action a form of racism in itself? To be biased towards any individual based on race, is racism.

As an official for youth sports, the issue I run into is with the native population. As a referree, I do not see gender, skin color, age, etc. I see a jersey and a number. Yet time and time again I am proclaimed a racist for calling a penalty against a hockey player who happens to be native. I bite my tongue because it is a bickering match I don't want to take part in, but it is time to realize that on the ice, your a hockey player first and white, black, or native second. I agree with intrepid, we should not be punished for the actions of our ancestors.

I think this is a sensitive subject, and a tough one to decipher. How much is too much? Should we be sensitive? Are we coming off as spoiled, insensitive jerks? Or are we speaking some harsh honesty that has been over due for a few years? It is something I am not prepared to answer, but something I am fully prepared to offer my opinion on.

I do not like, or dislike, people on their gender, race, religion, sexual preference, etc. If I do not like you, believe me, it is based on your own merit. These insignificat details mean nothing to me.

Not everybody is guilty of playing the "victim" card, but those that are need to rework their argument. If I have one pet peave in life, it is a person who has nothing better to do then victimize themself.

[edit on 8-2-2007 by chissler]

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Catchy titles.

My first thought is that you are insecure.....
....but thats only funny if you have read the thread that this derived from.

Let me tell you about a RL episode. I was working as a floor walker about 12 years ago. These 2 guys came into this store with an open duffle bag. One was black the other white. I was watching them both. They were pro's. They found me out and the black guy says that I'm watching him because he was black. I almost kicked his ass on the spot for calling me a racist. I was watching them because they came in with an open duffle bag.

This is very heart warming, to think that black people and white people can work alongside each other to attain a united goal, who would have thought that mere duffle bag carriers would transcend there cultural barriers and work in solidarity.

Sorry, I know Intrepids point, and its an example of situations I have seen and been in myself, although I have never been called a racist directly.

In the example given is not possible that the black guy had already, maybe on many occasions or most probably, been a victim of racism, and therefore developed an insecurity relating to the colour of his skin.

Or maybe he was just playing the race card.

Regardless, we only have Intrepid's perspective on the story, and what I gather from that is the man was playing the race card.

Can I ssfely assume that this statement is a falicy and you don't actually get called a racist that often?

Cos' if it does happen with any kind of frequency I would tend to think there was something to it.

Originally posted by shots
African Americans are known for that and also label all cops/police as racist the minute they see them. I can only assume that is the way they are raised but I am not sure.

We call this a generalisation, prepare for some flaming......

[edit on 8-2-2007 by Koka]

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Thanks for this thread, Intrepid. I have much to add but don't have the time right now. I have RL experiences as well as many experiences here on ATS of when I was accused of being racist because I am white. I just hope this thread isn't trashed by morning.

Koka...

[edit on 8-2-2007 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Well I'll take a decidedly non-PC stance here and say I don't care what you were thinking about. Even if you were watching this guy because he was black, I still think it's entirely appropriate. Statistics is a hard math and science, and you can't deny it shows that blacks are responsible for far more crimes per capita than whites. Likewise, I think it's perfectly logical to carefully search all muslim men at an airport but give just cursory examination to old white grandmothers. It's all about dedicating resource to where they're likely to be most efficiently used.

[edit on 2/8/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I don't appreciate you using one of my posts as an example in this thread, you damn racist. (you said it, not me)

Anyway, you can be racist all you want, as far as I'm concerned. I don't think you're in a position to practice institutional racism, so feel free to practice personal racism; that doesn't really bother me as much.

Well, I guess you were when you were security, but that had nothing to do with me. Then again, I may have talked bad to you without knowing it was you; that's what I always do whenever security guards watch me for no apparent reason.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Koka

Catchy titles.

My first thought is that you are insecure.....
....but thats only funny if you have read the thread that this derived from.

Accept my words as you like. I'm not going anywhere and I've had enough of this castigation of ME. I only speak for myself.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
I don't appreciate you using one of my posts as an example in this thread, you damn racist. (you said it, not me)

Whatever dude. It was your words and I removed your name from the post. Continue to blame others if it works for you.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   
WTF are you talking about?

How the what did I blame you for something in my post? I called you out because you took my post from another thread out of context. And I'll call you out again if you do it again.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Hello. Thanks for opening this forum. I am sure you do not mind if I post here
I completely agree with you that it seems you do suffer some racist taunts. It's terrible that it presents its ugly head anywhere in society. We are all human (except for the alien theory if you believe that- whatever tweaks your beak!)..

Now to support your thread I would like to add.

Australian Indigenous people are certainly remunnerated because of their heritage and their remote lifestyles.

We are labelled racist if we are to call them "coons" "'n-word's" or "blacks" but if they call us "whitey" or any other pallid influenced name we just seem to accept it.

Next. There is considerable difference in how the government structures what social security payments indigenous members of the community recieve. Hell.. They even get a "DOG ALLOWANCE" extra money to pay for their pets food and veterinary costs... Im a single mum.. I have two very large dogs for protection in my yard, where's my DOG ALLOWANCE??? Im not indigenous so I dont recieve it. Even students.. White ones get Austudy. Aboriginals get ABSTUDY..the difference in the two payments is obvious when the miniumun attendance rate required to recieve the payment is assessed and in monetary ways by significant payment differences.

I am empathetic to the suffering of the stolen generation. I am also aware that it is not just to compensate them wtih better conditions and more money. Its being abused in some communities on alcohol and drugs. I think the payment systems should be equal. Affordable and prioritised housing should be allocated on allowance or income recieved and the severity of the circumstances to family, NOT By skin color which does frequently seem to be the case.

Good thread. Hope my comments are welcome here

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
WTF are you talking about?

How the what did I blame you for something in my post? I called you out because you took my post from another thread out of context. And I'll call you out again if you do it again.

Your post, that I tried to keep anonymous:

Originally posted by name removed
Like Foxy said, stop blaming the victim, BH.

I don't see why you can't get it through your damn head. We're talking about people who were treated like animals for generations. People who, despite trying to make something of themselves since the end of the Civil War, have been hindered again and again and again and again.

I dunno...it seems like you relish blaming poor black Americans, as you gloss over the impact of whites who established and maintained the system for generations.

See "name removed"? OK, you want to wear this, no prob. In the light of this thread tell me, how do I wear this mark of past generations? I'm not a racist in any manner, no matter how you would colour me. THIS is the bottom line of this thread. I've done NOTHING against ANYONE but I've been portrayed as a person that "doesn't get the black perspective." No, I can't get that. Can YOU get the white perspective that's tired of being castigated for what happened before we were even born?

Halfway?

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Racism is a double-edged sword. Sometimes we need to remember that it does work both ways.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Racism is a double-edged sword. Sometimes we need to remember that it does work both ways.

people should just get over hurting people. People should also thicken up their skin no matter what color. While we are busy squabbling among ourselves and getting "thingy" over what he said she said. Lets take a look at the bigger picture. Whats going on in the world that is indirectly being done to me that will adveresely affect me?/ HEAPS..Tell everyone you know .... Just ignore the words not the world..

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler

Yes, it does.

For every advantaged person there is someone who is disadvantaged.

Systemic institutional racism a huge problem. It's all around us.

Chissler, I wonder if you actually understand the concept of affirmative action or other equity policies. From what you have written, I'm not too sure. Going back to your affirmative action comment, are you implying that white men are being disadvantaged as a result of the policies?

[edit on 8-2-2007 by parrhesia]

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I can empathize with your position, Intrepid, I really can. The problem is the sweeping stereotype that happens when you come out with something like this. I did learn that lesson, amongst a few others at ATS.

Some are, but hopefully, most aren't doing this and stereotyping you into the big nasty charred pot of racists. It's an individual thing, Intrepid. For every one that might do that to you, there are 100 that don't. Kinda no use bitching about the onesies twosies.

On the flipside, there are many whites perpetuating racism, too. KKK resurgency now over illegal immigration. What's that about? We've even got members here coming right out and admitting they're "racist." So? Does that change how it really SHOULD be? My deepest hopes reside in you getting over those few, and concentrate on the many. For your own sakes. Peace.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I do not wish to imply that it is strictly white men. What I am referring to is that deserving men and women, regardless of insignificant details, are being discriminated against due to some movement that promotes equity. I am all for individuals making advancements on their own merit. In the past, white men were awarded jobs over women and blacks. Needless to say, that is wrong. Rewarding other individuals with a job, to meet some minority quota, is wrong. The best man or woman deserves the job. In our current state, organizations are forced to meet quotas where they employ a certain percentage of women, blacks, etc. I have a problem with that. If I am the best person for the job, I deserve it. Parr, if you are the best woman for the job, you deserve it. Someone else should not be awarded the position on an insignificant detail.

Hiring a white man over a black woman is not racism, discrimination, bigotry, prejudicial, or any of the other man made epidemics we endure on a daily basis. Presuming that the man was more qualified, of course.

As for the "double-edged" comparison, sometimes individuals forget that their own assumptions may be a form of racism in itself. Which is what I believe intrepid is trying to clarify, and being faced with as we speak.

So to get to the bottom of it parr, no it is not white men. It is white men & women, it is black men and women, and anyone else who is passed over to meet some ethnic quota. As times change, the quotas change.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join