It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Light Changed to Matter, Then Stopped and Moved

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Well---

It would appear that Dr. Lene Hau has one-uped herself.

CAMBRIDGE, Mass., Feb. 8, 2007 -- By converting light into matter and then back again, physicists have for the first time stopped a light pulse and then restarted it a small distance away. This "quantum mechanical magic trick" provides unprecedented control over light and could have applications in fiber-optic communication and quantum information processing.

This marks another milestone for Hau in light manipulation. In 1998, she disproved theories by Einstein and others that the speed of light in free space couldn't be changed when she slowed light from 186,000 miles a second to just 38 miles per hour. Two years later, she stopped light completely in a cloud of ultracold atoms, then restarted it without changing its characteristics. She received a $500,000 MacArthur Foundation Fellowship (so-called "genius grant") for these experiments.

Dr. Hau, in other words, has found, not only that she can slow light down to 38mph, but change it to matter, along with the intelligence it carries, transmit it as a matter beam, and then reverse the process!

Interesting read, and you can do that right here
Extetnal Source

This is what it looks like:

Good Read -- !

[edit on 8-2-2007 by Ed Littlefox]

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Ed, does this work with the previous discussion we had about your theaory on resonance?

Also If E=mc2, Can the 38mph be used as c?

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Holodeck technology, and transporter technology starts to unfold...

Great find post originator!

-ADHD

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Hi Ultralo

How goes it, Dude -- good to see you.

Answer to your question: Maybe.

Never said it up on the other thread because we were talking, basically, about David Sereda's Gravity faster than light stuff, but, Einstein's Theories look at the Universe as Matter, and Deals with it as Matter. I would assume that it is because what we see, and handle, and deal with, of the Universe, IS matter, even if Matter and Energy are the same thing.

On the other hand, Quantum Physics deals with the Universe on a level of Energy, rather than matter, seeing Matter, as we know and understand it, as a Frequency of Energy which relates to us and our Minds as Solid substance. Different approach to the same Universe.

But, I think the flaw is, and has been, the choice (and it WAS a Choice) of a Constant. I don't think Light IS the Constant. It would seem that Dr. Hau proved that in 1998. I believe that Time is the proper constant, and it is Quantum Time which = Now. Physics has looked at Motion as a function of Time, but, I believe that the reverse is True; Time is a Function of motion.

Whatever, this article made my day, and blew my mind at the same time. Existential, huh?

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Next time some moron is poking along in front of me in the left lane doing 38, I can at least take a little solace that they're doing light speed, anyway.

har har

This is some genuinely freaky stuff and although it fascinates me, I don't pretend to understand much of it. Stopping and restarting light? It's witchcraft, I tell ya!

Time a function of motion. I'll have to grapple with that awhile. And I'm sure I'll come to no conclusion beyond a headache.

I hope Robert Fenix, Neon Haze, and Tom Bedlam find their way over here.We could have a real physics geek free-for-all.

(And I say that with all respect. I wish I could qualify as a physics geek. Physics geek wannabe... how pathetic is that?)

Thanks for sharing this find.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   
People, those things are useless without...

Warp Drive and Antigravity!

By the way, I would like the first Starship to be named Enterprise.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaAnuOmega
Original Topic

Sorry--

This is a 2/8/07 article, not the original topic. You asked in that original post, "what uses this could have?" Plenty. It represents a real breakthrough--the first time an energy-to-mass-to-energy conversion of this magnitude, (the transmission of intelligence), has ever been accomplished in a repeatable manner in a laboratory, and not to mention the frequency --that of Light in the visible spectrum. Though in the elementary stage presently, the concept has absolutely limitless applications and implications in fields far outside Photonics.

What are we seeing? Something truly amazing. We are seeing the "conception" if not the actual "Birth", of, at the very least, the Quantum Optical Computer; an optical CPU with limitless speed which can process Data in seconds that would take a Kray eons to process. It will be awhile on that, but, the basic technology needed to produce it is here right NOW courtesy of Dr. Hau and her people. This is only one example of literally millions.

I have no doubt whatever that this is the greatest discovery in Physics since Einstein, Max Planck, and Nicola Tesla. Because of this, some bright Physicist is going to come up with a way to phase-lock atoms at "room temperature" using an easily established and controlled Quantum field, rather than at the current .1e10-9>0K in a cryo-chamber.

It is going to be very interesting to watch for what happens next.

[edit on 9-2-2007 by Ed Littlefox]

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ed Littlefox
Physics has looked at Motion as a function of Time, but, I believe that the reverse is True; Time is a Function of motion.

So, If we cool a radioactive atom, reduce resonance/movement, to 0K. Does it still decay?

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Oh yes...I understand the practical uses. I was wondering what people with more imaginitive minds would come up with.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 03:44 AM
link   

So, If we cool a radioactive atom, reduce resonance/movement, to 0K. Does it still decay?

Ultralo--

Well, the consensus is that everything stops at 0K, and I would assume that includes Radioactivity. If Time is a function of Movement, then Time would also stop. But, if Movement was a function of Time as a constant, then Time would not stop. If Time DID stop, then motion would never be able to resume and a thaw could not occur.

If you consider the Big Bang, then Time would have had to Exist before the Event, and in a sense outside Relativity. Otherwise, the Bang would never have happened.

[edit on 10-2-2007 by Ed Littlefox]

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Thank You Ed

I always find our discussions enlightening

top topics

join