It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Taiwan' Would Soon Replace 'China' On The Island's Stamps

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 04:13 AM
link   
"Chunghwa" means China, will soon be replaced by "Taiwan" in the stamps as well state-owned Chunghwa Post to Taiwan Post. Beijing has been very sensitive and oftened angered when Taiwan uses names that downplay the island's cultural and historical ties with China. Some other big companies in Taiwan are also planning this change to avoid confusion with their counterparts in communist China.

newsinfo.inquirer.net
TAIPEI, Taiwan -- President Chen Shui-bian said Thursday the name 'Taiwan' would soon replace 'China' on the island's stamps, in a move likely to anger Beijing.

I believe we will soon see a satisfactory outcome, including the long-awaited terms Taiwan Post and Taiwan stamp," Chen said in a response to a reader posted on the Presidential Office Web site.

Last September, the government cut Chiang's name from the island's main international airport. The DPP -- which sees Chiang as a ruthless dictator -- is also lobbying to drop his name from a Taipei park commemorating him.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Taiwan seems be making another move that may anger Beijing. To date, Beijing still claims sovereignty over the island and called Taiwan as a renegade island. China clearly warned Taiwan that if they announced independence, they will be facing China in a war.

With the current wars of U.S. in Iraq & Afghanistan, and the declared War on Terrorism, a fresh conflict between China & Taiwan could create unwanted and additional troubles and the last thing the U.S. needs.

[edit on 8-2-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Very dangerous... China will surely give a press conference condamning the whole thing and making threats... this gonna be a big debate.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 06:13 AM
link   

With the current wars of U.S. in Iraq & Afghanistan, and the declared War on Terrorism, a fresh conflict between China & Taiwan could create unwanted and additional troubles and the last thing the U.S. needs.

With all due respect, Taiwan has nothing to do with the United States and it should stop getting involved in domestic affairs of other countries.

By giving military support to Taiwan, the United States have shot themselves in the foot. The more and more China grows, the less the US will be willing to get involved.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Eh, I suspect we'll hear some ramblings from China but that's about it, talk is cheap and in this case non threatening. China can't yet risk a war with the US/Japan/Taiwan so for the foreseeable future the status quo will remain.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Nothing will happen. And I frankly couldn't care less what Taiwan does.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

With all due respect, Taiwan has nothing to do with the United States and it should stop getting involved in domestic affairs of other countries.

By giving military support to Taiwan, the United States have shot themselves in the foot. The more and more China grows, the less the US will be willing to get involved.

But isn't supporting Taiwan the right thing to do? Shouldn't we protect nations like this that are being bullied by other, stronger nations?

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Togetic
But isn't supporting Taiwan the right thing to do? Shouldn't we protect nations like this that are being bullied by other, stronger nations?

Eastern Europe is bullied by Russia, shall we supply them with weapons? what about the Basque region in Spain? should we give support to ETA?

Taiwan is not a State within the Union of the United States and nore is it an oversea terrority either. In other words, it has nothing to do with the States. You cannot police the world.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I'm glad to see Taiwan doing this, as it will show to the world that they
are a country, and not a part of China.

If China trys something against Taiwan, I'm all for bombing Chinas
cities and going to war with them.

Taiwan is a free lberal Democratic country, China is an oprresive Maoist
country based on the twisted version of Communism created bye Stallin
and Lennin.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
If China trys something against Taiwan, I'm all for bombing Chinas
cities and going to war with them.

Going to war with China is suicide, it would spark a nuclear war and billions would die. You really want to do that? Many in the US military would refuse to to do it.

China is an oprresive Maoist country based on the twisted version of Communism created bye Stallin
and Lennin.

China is far from communist, liberal markets and capitalism goes against the workings of communism.

The likely hood is that China will become democratic within a decade or so and Taiwan will stop its breakaway bid.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Going to war with China is suicide, it would spark a nuclear war and billions would die. You really want to do that? Many in the US military would refuse to to do it.

Billions of people would not ide, as America has the technology to not only attack
China first, bhut also prevent any nuclear weapons launched by China from ever
hitting there target(s).

I'd much rather be fighting China than be in the Middle East.

China is an oprresive Maoist country based on the twisted version of Communism created bye Stallin
and Lennin.

Which is why I said Maist and based on the twisted version of
Communism created by Lennin/Stallin.

The likely hood is that China will become democratic within a decade or so and Taiwan will stop its breakaway bid.

I highly doubt it would happen in a decade, I mean it's not impossible,
but the PRC has immense control, and censors things they don't want
the people to see, add to that that it's illegal to protest if it is not
approved by the PRC.

[edit on 2/8/2007 by iori_komei]

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Eastern Europe is bullied by Russia, shall we supply them with weapons?

We are, along with several US bases for good measure, they get monetary compensation too.

Taiwan is not a State within the Union of the United States and nore is it an oversea terrority either. In other words, it has nothing to do with the States.

It does not matter, it is our interest to have Taiwan remain, for all purposes, independent and pro Western.

You cannot police the world.

We've been doing it for over 60 years now.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
It does not matter, it is our interest to have Taiwan remain, for all purposes, independent and pro Western.

"our interest"? i'll state again, Taiwan is none of your business. China has a "one China" policy, respect it. How would you like it if China started supporting Southern independence and funding Southern States with arms?

We've been doing it for over 60 years now.

and what a messy 60 years its been

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   

"our interest"? i'll state again, Taiwan is none of your business. China has a "one China" policy, respect it.

Well, it is our business because it would affect the US directly and indirectly. Also the US pleged to defend Taiwan only in the event of a Chinese attack. Officially we do also not support a deceleration of independence from Taiwan (ironic I know). I see nothing wrong with that policy.

How would you like it...

Who said China has to like it?

I tend to disagree, a big part of why Europe was relatively peaceful during the latter half of the century and why you're not speaking Russian right now is us. Pax Americana has done more than you might be willing to recognize.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Well, it is our business because it would affect the US directly and indirectly. Also the US pleged to defend Taiwan only in the event of a Chinese attack.

If the United States decides to defend Taiwan it will result in a Red Flag flying in Washington and a Statue of Chairman Mao in New York.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Sensationalism might work against some but do you really want to argue with me about how a potential military conflict would go? Suffice it to say the example above is just not very likely, to put it mildly.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Well, it is our business because it would affect the US directly and indirectly. Also the US pleged to defend Taiwan only in the event of a Chinese attack.

If the United States decides to defend Taiwan it will result in a Red Flag flying in Washington and a Statue of Chairman Mao in New York.

Uh huh.

Would you like more BS with that bread?

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   

The US could successfully defend taiwan from an attack by china. Now occupying china would be suicide. I fully believe that we could knock out chinas cities in a coneventional sense. Our ability to wage an offensive is second to none and is very formidable.

Heres an interesting read. The professors from Notre Dame and UPenn claim the US has enough nuclear superiority over Russia and China to destroy their nukes in a first strike, leaving no nukes to Russia or China for retaliation. Check it out.

www.foreignaffairs.org...

China is far from communist, liberal markets and capitalism goes against the workings of communism.

Indeed china has come a long ways, but they still are a communist regime that suppresses its ppl. And unless China truly embraces free-market economics china wont be going anywhere fast. thats for sure.

China will become democratic within a decade or so and Taiwan will stop its breakaway bid.

If that is the case then china would more then likely divide itself up into several different nations. Thats why the communist want to stay in power, and that is precisely why they will do anything and everything in their power to keep the 'status qou'.

[edit on 092828p://1302pm by semperfoo]

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I do not think that China has the military capability to launch a sustained land assualt on Taiwan. Althrough the Peoples Liberation Army has huge membership numbers, the PLA Navy has very very few, almost none I believe, ampibious assualt ships. Any land assault would ultimately have to be staged by aircraft, but I do not know about Taiwans air defence capability, so I'll leave that up to someone else.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 09:09 PM
link   

"our interest"? i'll state again, Taiwan is none of your business. China has a "one China" policy, respect it. How would you like it if China started supporting Southern independence and funding Southern States with arms?

Yes, protectors of the free world. What would that say about america and all of our hard fought history if we just stopped promoting democracy? Taiwan isnt anymore chinas then north korea is.

Your point about the southern states is moot. The southern states are not the ones wanting to become an independent nation.

Yes, but picture how much messier it would be without the US. Perhaps you would be speaking german or russian by now?

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 02:42 AM
link   
That evil island has determined to pull the two giant--China and America
into a desperated war.
how evil they are!!!

[edit on 9-2-2007 by gs001]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join