It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Learning more about Chemistry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Hi all,

After a long search I am unable to find a single chemistry book (any subtopic) that is not marketed or written for students and professionals. This was not true decades ago. Modern society it seems only values intellect where "passing exams" is required. Pursuit only exists where entertainment and money lie. It is a lost ideal that learning should be stimulating regardless.

It dissapoints me. If anyone can recommend a proper chemistry book, it would be appreciated. Not a student's book. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 03:11 AM
link   
One I read many years ago was called "View from a Height" by Isaac Asmiov. Most famous for being a sci-fi writer, he was actually also a full time chemistry professor, and has (or at least did for awhile) the world's record for having written the most books. The book is quite nontechnical, yet it has some really interesting subject matter. He's got 4 sections in the book, one for biology, chemistry, physics, and astronomy. My copy of the book is 224 pages, paperback, so it's not a lengthy read, either. I have no idea if it's still in print, but a library probably has it.

I don't think you need any kind of mathematical understanding for the book, either. I read it when I was probably 15 or 16, and it made sense to me at the time. A high school education should be enough. It's definitely a good book, and probably NOT one you will ever use as a textbook in a classroom.

I hope some other people post some suggestions, too. I consider myself very knowledgable about physics, but I'm a bit weak in some of the other sciences, like chemistry, where I just have the basics.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Thankyou Dragons, I have that book on order now.

I've also managed to find one - Nature's Building Blocks by John Emsley. I can't vouch for its quality yet but I will be giving it a read.

Any other recommendations?

MBF

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I asked my niece to see if she could pick me up an organic chemistry book from college. She e-mailed me tonight and said that all chemistry classes use the same book, Chemistry and Chemical Reactivity. I wonder if this has what I want?

new topics

top topics

join