It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The End Start Over"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Besides the average age of 10000 to 20000 for the development of modern men such as the Egyptians at about 10000 to 12000 and lets give another 8000 to 10000 for "miss civilization" does any one agree to the idea that a modern civilization could have existed and been annihilated off the face of the earth.

Lets just say in another 10000 years including nuclear, biological and natural forces such as a Asteroid and comets, do's any one believe that we will start all over again.

Removed all caps from title

[edit on 2-7-2007 by worldwatcher]

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 11:30 PM
link   
There is a theory that when the Earth's metallic core flips and reverses the magnetic polarity for all of Earth (On a compass, North becomes South, South becomes North), the Earth's climate changes to a chaotic force. Some believe that this is what caused the ice age and caused the extinction of dinosaurs. You're right in that there is always a gap in history were mass extinction occurs.

By the way, the date at which the Earth's core will flip again has been estimated to occur from present day to 500 years from now.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 11:37 PM
link   
But what will happen to the tech will we have to invent the wheel again and learn to walk up right again.

Are we going to be the next Atlantis never knowing how Advanced we where.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 11:42 PM
link   
It all depends on how bad the condition of the Earth will be, as well as the population of man. The oldest cultures and civilizations known to man all started out as primitive people, so if an event occurred where most of humanity is wiped out, then we would all have to restart in a primitive shape. Technology would only exist to those who can recreate, teach, and use it.

The Northern poles and Southern poles of Earth were once covered in lush forests, and are now covered by many layers of ice. There is a chance that when the climate changes, the ice will melt and reveal new species or animal, plant, and man. Though, no one has ever seen what is under the ice, so it's only speculation that life would regenerate from that part of the world.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah
There is a theory that when the Earth's metallic core flips and reverses the magnetic polarity for all of Earth (On a compass, North becomes South, South becomes North), the Earth's climate changes to a chaotic force. Some believe that this is what caused the ice age and caused the extinction of dinosaurs. You're right in that there is always a gap in history were mass extinction occurs.

By the way, the date at which the Earth's core will flip again has been estimated to occur from present day to 500 years from now.

I dont know if iv'e ever heard that before. Ive seen programs on this subject and read a bit as well, and unless it does a complete flip (which some theory say caused the ice age) then the effects would be minimal, and likly not noticable.

"Seen in the paleomagnetic record, locked into rocks of the ocean floor and in some lava flows, scientists think the time between reversals on the Earth falls somewhere between every 100,000 to 25 million years, with the reversal itself taking about 5,000 years."

peswiki.com...:Earth's_Magnetic_Pole_Shift

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmaracing
Lets just say in another 10000 years including nuclear, biological and natural forces such as a Asteroid and comets, do's any one believe that we will start all over again.

Yes.

But much sooner!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 8-2-2007 by Tamahu]

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 01:08 AM
link   
There is no evidence that there were massive, complex, civilizations in the extremely distant past. Rather, we see, preceding the most primitive and earliest civilizations, small, simple, but growing in complexity, settlements and technology.

Originally posted by DJMessiah
There is a theory that when the Earth's metallic core flips and reverses the magnetic polarity for all of Earth (On a compass, North becomes South, South becomes North), the Earth's climate changes to a chaotic force. Some believe that this is what caused the ice age and caused the extinction of dinosaurs.

?

Magnetic reversals are extremely common in earth history, and they have absolutely no correlation with mass extinction, chaotic atmosphere, or anything like that. They flip, back and forth, throughout time, and nothing seems to be bothered by it.

We don't even have, for example, indications of mass die offs in migratory birds when this happens

While I am sure that someone could come up with an estimation, I don't think that most geologists and geophysicists would agree that it can be at all predicted. We know that they happen often though.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Besides the average age of 10000 to 20000 for the development of modern men such as the Egyptians at about 10000 to 12000 and lets give another 8000 to 10000 for "miss civilization" does any one agree to the idea that a modern civilization could have existed and been annihilated off the face of the earth.

where did you get those dates from

timeline for you
Homo Sapiens Archaic 250,000 BP (years Before Present)
Homo Sapiens Archaic 100,000BP
Ice Age 77,000 - 12,000 BP
Sumerian civilisation 7000- 4500 BP
Ancient Egypt 5000 - 2000 BP

there is no credible evidence that any civilisation existed outside these dates

Some believe that this is what caused the ice age and caused the extinction of dinosaurs

some people believe a lot of things
the dinosaurs are still believed to have been wiped out by an asteroid strike in Chicxulub, Mexico
www.enchantedlearning.com...
the Ice age was believed to have started with the mega eruption of Mt Toba in Sumatra
www.bradshawfoundation.com...

The Northern poles and Southern poles of Earth were once covered in lush forests, and are now covered by many layers of ice

that was millions and millions of years ago
it wasn't caused by a catastrophe

Though, no one has ever seen what is under the ice,

Satellites take pictures of what is under the ice pretty frequently
the north pole has nothing under it. the landmass is entirely made from Ice. when it melts there will just be open sea
antartica
you'll like this website
scilib.ucsd.edu...
its called "diving under the antarctic ice"

While I am sure that someone could come up with an estimation,

it has been predicted to happen again in centuries rather than millenia
but if you are expecting the needle on your compass to spin crazily and for aircraft to suddenly not know where they are then you should consider that when a reversal does happen it takes thousands of years to complete itself

so
nothing to worry about really
we are far more likely to wipe ourselves out with nuclear weapons or an engineered biological pathogen than anything else
en.wikipedia.org...
this website will keep you updated regularly on how long you have left

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I think, considering how little time it took for modern man to become so modern, there is enough time for humans of the past to have reached our stage then annhiliation a few times over.

But they didn't; and here is why.

We find fossils of dinosaurs.. evidence of ancient creatures and plants from millions of years ago, but we find absolutely nothing whatsoever, not even in the most remote sense, indicating humans before the most recent ice age had tools and technology anywhere lclose to what we have.

there'd have to be something, somewhere.. some evidence.. like i said, we can make catalogs of the species from millions of yrs ago, but cant find any evidence for this whatsoever?

[edit on 2/8/2007 by runetang]

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
They have a strong theory that the Ice Age was caused by diluted sea waters that stop warm currents from flowing

Currents are caused by warm water on top and cold water on bottom. Currents are loops. One in one direction on top, one on the bottom going the opposite direction. The specific heat of water diluted in salt varies as to the concentration, disrupt this, disrupt your cycle.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marduk

The Northern poles and Southern poles of Earth were once covered in lush forests, and are now covered by many layers of ice

Marduk,
Originally I was just going to respond to this poor soul, like you did, but then I noticed that you, as well as he, are apparently of the opinion that the North and South poles were once covered in lush forests.

You must be losing it, possibly burned out by the massive daily influx of ignorance you so nobly battle against.

Please, tell us, both of you, just when was it that the poles were "covered in lush forest?" I had always thought that continents, being the ultimate drifters that they are, moved into the more temperate areas before growing lush forests. Even if I'm wrong, are you of the opinion that there is some lush forest under the ice at the north pole? If so, then what, is it floating there between the ice and the water under it?

Harte

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
The idea that a world shift would not cause an ice over.
there have been soil samples brought up when doing core samples.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harte

Please, tell us, both of you, just when was it that the poles were "covered in lush forest?" I had always thought that continents, being the ultimate drifters that they are, moved into the more temperate areas before growing lush forests. Even if I'm wrong, are you of the opinion that there is some lush forest under the ice at the north pole? If so, then what, is it floating there between the ice and the water under it?

Harte

Actually, Antarctica didn't get ice sheets and get really cold until about 40 million years ago. So, when our climate was warmer and the continents had moved near to where they are today... 100 million years ago and more... there WERE dinos at the south pole and in Alaska:
antarcticsun.usap.gov...

Last year I was working on some ceratopsian material from northern Alaska that's about 70 million years old.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   
As others have said, there's no evidence of any "starting over." High tech societies are VERY easy to see because they build things to last a very long time. The more advanced the civilization, the longer thier traces last. It's hard (but possible) to find traces of paleoIndianns (American Indians that lived over 5,000 years ago)

High tech leaves a lot of traces like farms and mines and factories. There's no evidence of this or of remade older material (as in using high tech ceramics from a previous civilizatin that was "lying around" to make arrowheads, etc.)

Marduk and others gave a pretty good review of human history.

Actually, no.

Civilizations collapse all the time... the one you may be familiar with is the collapse of Rome, but there are others (the Incas, Egypt, Sumeria, etc, etc.) The people didn't suddenly throw up their hands and go back to caves and bash fish on the head with rocks. We might not be building space ships immediately after the collapse, but there would still be those around who could build and rebuild from wreckage.

And as long as we can still read and write a language, the future is endlessly promising!

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Harte
youre kidding right
you didn't know they used to have Dinosaurs in antartica ?
heres a kids website with the basic details of what dinosaurs have been found so far
you'll notice something about them straight away
some of them need a tropical forest environment to feed

I did say it was millions of years ago
hole in your knowledge buddy ?
not any more

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Actually Marduk, Harte is corret, and u r mistaken

The original poster mentioned

The Northern poles and Southern poles of Earth were once covered in lush forests

Now the Poles were never covered in 'Lush Forests', BUT Antarctica was, when it was not in its current 'Polar' position on the face of this tiny little planet of ours.

Confusion clarified?

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 06:23 AM
link   

But what will happen to the tech will we have to invent the wheel again and learn to walk up right again.

Are we going to be the next Atlantis never knowing how Advanced we where.

yeah, some people will be reinventing the wheel, while the survivors act as the 'Gods' taking from seedbanks and helping man start from scratch.

Perhaps cloning bodies, pulling from the dna database, and then keeping their tech hidden below the artic ice (wherever the artic is then) and laughing and scientifically observing the new 'ape' man.

Bright career future, wanna join.

Peace

dAlen

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by puneetsg
Actually Marduk, Harte is corret, and u r mistaken

errr sure whatever you say
could you point out where I said that the north pole was ever anything when it didn't have ice on it
I'm pretty sure I said

Marduk
the north pole has nothing under it. the landmass is entirely made from Ice. when it melts there will just be open sea

so Harte is in fact mistaken in thinking I said there were lush forests at the north pole when in fact what I actually said was

Marduk
Harte
youre kidding right
heres a kids website with the basic details of what dinosaurs have been found so far

you know misquoting someone is a capital crime in some countries
and if it isn't
then it damn well should be

Confusion clarified?

know thyself (Socrates)

[edit on 9-2-2007 by Marduk]

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Harte
youre kidding right

I did say it was millions of years ago
hole in your knowledge buddy ?
not any more

Nope, just poking you for letting the poster slide with a mere

Antarctica itself had dinosaurs throughout the entire period they existed. But Antarctica wasn't at the South Pole.

I was only making fun of you not immediately humialiting the poster. You must be going soft.
I suppose I was a bit hasty concerning the north pole. Didn't finish reading your post before I responded. I guess I'm used to you shooting them down more quickly than you did in that rebuttal. It took you several lines down the post before you got around to pointing out the stupidity involved in believing in a "lush forest" at the north pole!

Harte

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaAnuOmega
They have a strong theory that the Ice Age was caused by diluted sea waters that stop warm currents from flowing

Currents are caused by warm water on top and cold water on bottom. Currents are loops. One in one direction on top, one on the bottom going the opposite direction. The specific heat of water diluted in salt varies as to the concentration, disrupt this, disrupt your cycle.

Slightly off topic but recent studies have suggested that the stop of the gulf stream for example would only drop the temperature of the uk by only 2 degrees celcius not really enough to cause an ice age. Ice ages are more down to things such as the milankovitch theory

Alan

new topics

top topics

join