It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cell Phones banned

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Cell phones have been banned in Albuquerque while driving.

first offence 100usd and 2nd offence 200 beans.

www.kobtv.com...

What are your thoughts on this?

Seems a bit extreme. But here in the land of Enchantment you can change your contacts and eat a hamburger at the same time; but that only warrants a 5o dollar fine.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Hold the phone!

It's a little steep for the fine. And I agree that it should cover other hand-held distractors..Like burgers, and contacts, as you say..

But I have seen so many people have to quickly adjust the wheel, as they almost run off the road, and drive 50 in the 65 lane..always while chattin.

Must be that holding the phone AND talking is a double distraction, moreso than
just eating.

Plus, you can always get an earpiece!

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Its been banned in Australia for ages.

They did tests which showed a person on the phone has a delayed reaction time as a person under the influence.

I dont even like the hands free kits,its different when talking to say a passenger because you know you can break the conversation according to whats happening on the road.

But when its someone on the other end of the line,you feel obligated to continue the convo because they dont take into account your trying to drive,which can be very dangerous.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I think it's a great law. People really need to hang up the phone sometime. You are putting yourself and other people at risk. It shouldn't have to be a law, it should be common sense (like wearing a seatbelt).

And yes I own a cellphone, but it isn't surgically attached to my ear.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I too think that it is a good thing.

It is very hard to concentrate on driving when you are involved in a conversation on the telephone.

A phone call is just too distracting, imo.

Also eating while driving, putting makeup on, turning around to yell at your kids in the backseat, etc., etc.

Actually there is a pretty long list if things people do while driving that is dangerous. Not only for themselves and their passengers, but also other motorists, and pedestrians as well.

[edit on 2/8/2007 by Mechanic 32]

new topics

top topics

join