It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil change, stipped hex, help!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Went to change the oil the other day and with my mind elsewhere I tightened the hell out of my hex bolt with the expected results of completely stripping it. Now it's nice and smooth. Thinking I was a smarty I stuck in some JB Weld and my bit and waited. Once that had set I turned and got a sprinkling of JB Weld and my bit back. poop

I am searching for a solution that does not involve drilling.
The vice grips are great if you have something to grip. I have be trying to grip the 1mm lip at the base with no luck as the plug sits into the pan.

Any ideas?

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Alligator socket...Or bore the bolt and re thread and purchase a new one. Just don't have your mind else where and drive your car with your oil plug in.

[edit on 9-2-2007 by tsloan]

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   
how large is this sump plug [ diameter ] ?

solutions which come to mind are :

1 - weld a nut to the face of the sump plug - filling in the centre of the nut with a MIG welder

2 - select an TORX socket , the closest over size to the hex socket you were using - and hammer it in then attempt to use that to remove it

3 - use a large punch to hammer the face of the sump plug - to deform the round lip - then hammer the hex key into the hole [ see picture ]

NB - with 2 and 3 - the hammering action also helps lossen the plug [ just like an impact wrench or driver ]

PS - dependant on how its constructed - do not hammer it too hard

you can fracture an aluminium cassting , deform a steel pressing or damage the thread / captive nut

hope this helps - and i hope you learned your lesson

join