It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should My Pants Really Be Scared Off?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   
The question that I want to put forward is basically how frightened I as a person in the West should be of Islamic extremism? Let me first distinguish this from Islam as a religion, which I sincerely believe is filled with good people. However, there is a large and vocal element that has as its express goal to destroy the west.

Should I really be frightened?

We have all seen what happens when someone pulls of a September 11th. Thousands die. They have promised that and a thousand times more if they can do it. If we were to pull out of the Middle East tomorrow, entirely, then based on their statements alone, how can we believe that they won't spin that as a major victory and use the morale boost to launch attacks in Europe and America? Is there a rational argument to be made that they wouldn't? Many have argued that we caused this movement with our political choices in the 1960's... but isn't their movement today based similarly on politics, or a more doctrinal, immutable ideology?

If we want to stop this without fighting war anymore, what needs to be done? What will, without a doubt, placate them?

I am not Muslim, and I'll be honest: I've never known a Muslim. I would like to, though, and I would like to be able to talk about my religion and their religion over a cup of coffee. And I believe that it is possible. But I think we need to be able to. And, yes, I want to go after crazy Christians and all the rest, but this threat is in front of us, and if we need to go after it, then we must go after it first before moving on.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   

insurance informatin institute stats-In 2005, 43,443 people died in motor vehicle crashes and an additional 2,699,000 people were injured.

2973 The number of people to die on sept.11.
www2.indystar.com...

With those statistics we should be more scared to drive than of terrorists.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I posted a story where a priest burned himself to death trying to raise awareness of Islam spreading, don't know if he meant the religion or Islamic extremism, but most likely Islam, which is considered fastest growing religion in the world. Guess thats how far he's willing to show how much he feared.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I believe the damage done by us in the west has caused so much damage and fueled so much hate that it will take generations to heal. Take the white/black issue how long ago was slavery abolished? exactly but we still have groups of black people who hate whites because of the slave trade generations later.

I think the first step would be for the west to TELL Isreal to pull out of occupied Palestinian territory. To pull out or face severe consequences! this would show the Islamic world that the west does not condone Israeli policies.

The next step would be to stop threatening/going to war with Middle Eastern countries. If the citizens of those countries don't see the west as an aggressive force then it will be harder for leaders in the Middle East to portray the west as the devil. All the time images are shown on the telly of woman and children dead it just stokes the fire of hatred.

But I don't see any one of the above happening anytime soon, but to your question of whether you sshould be scared or not, I don't think so be aware but don't be scared.

Be safe

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I don't buy into being "scared of the bogeyman". The war on terrorism is just that... hunting, searching, fighting with... nothing.

The religion of Islam, as I understand it, is a very peaceful and loving religion. The members of the Islamic "extremists" as Bush and Co. have hammered into your minds, is BS.

Think about this for one moment...

Let's pretend that you and your family live in "Nation B". "Nation A" comes into your country and bombs the crap out of you and your brethren. With "Nation A" killing your family and invading your country, wouldn't you fight against "Nation A" right beside "Nation B"?

I hope that makes sense.

IMO, that's what has happened with Iraq. I'm not debating whether or not Saddam should have been removed from power (of which I believe he should have been), but he could have been dealt with in a different manner, and when the US continues to occupy their nation, after killing so many needlessly, of course Iraqis are going to be pissed and fight against the US, and whomever else, to "avenge" their families lives.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Yes, I agree. How would you feel if Iraqi troops suddenly invaded your country, bombed your home town to smithereens, killed your wife, your children and your family and friends?

I'd devote my life towards retaliating, and trying to kill as many of 'the enemy" as I possibly could too...

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeuronDivide
Yes, I agree. How would you feel if Iraqi troops suddenly invaded your country, bombed your home town to smithereens, killed your wife, your children and your family and friends?

I'd devote my life towards retaliating, and trying to kill as many of 'the enemy" as I possibly could too...

Even so, if you were to pull out now, would that really stop them? They say otherwise, so shouldn't we take them at their word?

With regards to bin Laden, he declared war against America long before we were in Iraq, and long before 9/11. If we were to put Israel in its place, wouldn't they interpret that as a sign of weakness? Would they attack Israel or America? What is to be done if they do?

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 10:31 PM
link   
The new "popular" talking points are that we're in Iraq to solve the situation in Iran which will take care of most of the middle east via a "domino effect". Supposedly Bush couldn't tell us because we wouldn't understand why we had to fight a proxy war to solve the middle east. This would make it seem like Bush knows what he's doing. However, I've heard a million different theories on this subject, most of which paint Bush and this administration to be screwing everything up. Why can't Bush come out and tell the truth? Why can't this administration say, "this sucks, its gonna get worse, but here's why we're doing it?" WHY? What is so difficult about the truth? This nation (the U.S.) is starving for it! I promise we won't bite if you're truthful Mr. President. I hate the repeatedly bland and watered down rhetoric that "explains" this nation's situation.

Now should you be scared? Nope. Not if you're in the military (and at risk to be deployed overseas) or traveling abroad. We're pretty safe in this country, and we always will be no matter how many times they try to attack our cities. The odds of you being in an attack are small. That's what terrorism's goal is; make the public think they are unsafe. The odds speak for themselves. I think you are more likely to be hit by lightning than part of the next terrorist attack. But, please, go by some duct tape if it will make you feel better.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 10:46 PM
link   

With regards to bin Laden, he declared war against America long before we were in Iraq, and long before 9/11. If we were to put Israel in its place, wouldn't they interpret that as a sign of weakness? Would they attack Israel or America? What is to be done if they do?

You should know that 9/11 was an inside job, then all becomes clear. All the propaganda vanishes. Watch terrorstorm, freedom to fascism and Loose Change Second Edition. Then after you can talk of Al-Qaeda and laugh about it.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infoholic
The members of the Islamic "extremists" as Bush and Co. have hammered into your minds, is BS.

They do exist,
and thanks to Iraq have increased MASSIVLEY in size.

But had we of sent the force into Afghan, that we sent into Iraq.
that 'extremist' risk would be minimal, like it was in the 80's.

Not saying it DIDNT EXIST in the 80's.. but it was very limited.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeuronDivide

That's what the kool aid drinker doesn't want to hear. BIIIINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG You nailed it.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
"On the other hand it might be better to strike the iron before it freezes"

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   
If you go by the numbers, you should be more scared of aspirin than terrorists in America.

There are thousands of other threats that need to be addressed.

Not to say we should ignore terrorism, but spending hundreds of billions on it while ignoring everything else is the height of stupidity.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Jimmy1880 & Neurondivide, I agree with both of you.

Jimmy1880, you touched on it. I believe that the US support of Israel is the root to most if not all of the hatred of the US by Islam. I don't want to hijack this thread, but Israel really does provoke the heck out of their Middle Eastern neighbors. We "think" that Saddam has WMD, and we go in and unleash a full blown war against his country.
Israel does have WMD's, the US response "Oh come on now, stop pulling my leg."
Of course the Islamic are going to feel like they're being slapped in the face. Israel breaks so many rules, and never so much as gets their hands slapped. Other Middle Eastern countries are under a microscope and are walking on eggshells. Israel didn't like the fact that one of her neighbors had a Nuclear reactor, so what did Israel do? They sent their air force in and blew it up. Can you imagine what the fallout would be if Iran did that to Israel? Forget about it!
My point is not to bash Israel here. I'm simply pointing out that it's reasonable to think that Islamic people, who are intelligent human beings, see this and take offense to it.
I'm not saying that we need to cut Israel off. What I am saying is make it an even playing field. Show the same style of judgement to everyone. Israel get's out of line, do the same thing as if Iran had done it. That would help things immensely IMHO. Stop warring with the Mid East, and get off their soil. I've heard that on these tapes that keep coming from the terrorists being aired on Al Jazeera - the terrorists say outright, get off Islamic Soil, and we'll leave you alone. OK, it sounds pretty simple. Take those two steps, and extend an olive branch to the Islamic people. Try to heal the gaping wounds we've created and let them live their lives.

And Neurondivide - You betcha. Someone comes in and kills my family - I would never stop in my crusade to get the enemy who did this.

Can it ever be fully placated? Not without immediate and total withdrawal. We've given them more reasons to hate us than I can count.

I might be wrong, and if I am - please educate me.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Togetic
If we want to stop this without fighting war anymore, what needs to be done? What will, without a doubt, placate them?

They cannot be placated.

First of all, who would you negotiate with to "placate" them? They are not a nation, with recognized diplomatic channels. They are terrorists, who follow no rules and answer to noone.

The US must follow the ROE, wear uniforms, and fight with approved weaponry.

The US must fight with one hand tied behind their back, hobbled by the weak US Congress and soft-bellied public into fighting a PC war.

The other side dresses in street clothes, often as women, and hide in houses and mosques. They use IEDs and other weapons of murder that are prohibited to us. They murder the innocent Iraqi people, kidnapping them and executing them by the hundreds.

They are fully aware of the effect of their cowardly actions on weak-willed Americans. That is what they count on to win.

They do not attack the coalition; they attack the innocent civilians, well aware of the psychological impact it will have on those who will falsely blame the US for the deaths.

They count on breaking the will of the American spirit.

This is the logical fallacy of the Nation A vs Nation B argument. There is no Nation A.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   
For a deeper understanding on why muslims are so angry and radicalised people need to see history and see what has happened to make these people angry.

Please take a look at this video becuase it shows clips and video archive film about abuses and attacks against muslims fron the early 1900's.

it's a real player video in RAM format so you will need real player or 'real 'player alternative'.

Video Link
www.khilafah.dk...

By the way the video is graphic.

The muslims have a deep distrust of the west especially countries like France, Britain and America which have been the root cause of so many problem in africa/middle east regions.

Millions of muslims where killed at the hands of the French and British forces in africa and arabia and those people there have never forgotten these crimes and they are regularly exploited by militant originisations for there benifit.

Please watch the video and see the historic film footage which was compiled together.

What has happend to muslims has been just as bad as what happened to the jews but the only difference is that it was spread out over many decades rather then a linked group of years.

To this day the western countries have not appologised to the muslims for the raping of muslim women in algeria by french armed forces or the mass muder of millions of women and children and gang raping that occrued by british/french forces in that region. You can see the video clips of them preparing muslim women to be raped by french soldiers in the video link above. Muslims see the images all the time on the news stations while in western news stations all the images seen and censored and readjusted to look good and sanitised while muslims get the full scale 'in your face' versions.

Imagine if that was your family in those situations in that above video and how would you feel about that. And now you understand how islamic militants where and are born around the world. Only by seeing the above video will people realise why islamic millitancy is so popular around the world it's becuase killing muslims is also a popular past time for many nations.

Thanks for your time guys.

[edit on 11-2-2007 by iqonx]

[edit on 11-2-2007 by iqonx]

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   
iqonx

I watched the entire video. It showed in graphic fashion the extent of the suffering endured by Muslims.

The thing that was lacking was the historical perspective that led to the suffering. I am not making judgement one way or another on the actions of the Muslims, the Hindus, the French, the Afghanis, or anyone else. I am just saying that without those elements, the film is incomplete.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Great post iqonix!

Unless we go looking for this kind of information, most of us in the western world" are uninformed, and conditioned by the media as to the real truth about the whole situation...

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Hi there i am Muslim, and i suscribed to this "blog" because it seems like you all are trully interested to know about the situation.

To trully understand the situation we are in now i highly recommend reading the book "confessions of a british spy" and as the sun rises from the east i guarantee you that you will understand everything with what is happening today.

Now the subject to be scared. Frankly i woul say yes, but not in the sense that you as an individual is targeted rather that you are caught in the crossfire.

Basically putting it the islamic empire was the greatest this world has ever seen in terms of land, population wealth etc. and this was taken away from muslims for whatever sinister reason. Now terrorism sprouts its ugly head when a man is pushed between a rock and a hard place. The only way to stop terrorism is to allow muslims to live under their political structure which is the Khilafah, Sadlly bush has uped the war to include muslims who call for the re-establishment of the khilafah as extremist. If any of you want i can send you a copy of the proposed constitution and you all can be the judge if this is extremism.

Another major force to drive this terrorism is between the Muslims and jews. We all know the story of Abraham and his two sons Ismael (Arabs) and Isaac (Jews & Christians). We as muslims believe that just as when the jews disobeyed their prophets God sent Jesus and after the christians disobey Christ God then sent Muhammad. and when Muhammad came it is recorded in many jewish books how insulting it was that God can send a prophet to the Arabs. After Hitler did what he did the jews, no rather zionist. proped up alot of money to win over palestine saying it was their birthright, however this is against their own belief as they believe that their messiah will come and establish their kingdom thus to establish a jewish kingdom by a group of people would not be kosher. Don't take this from the words of a muslim but rather from a url=http://www.jewsnotzionists.org/]Jew[/url]

Lastly what is going on now we as muslims accept it as a punishment from God because as a people we are suppose to live as a complete brotherhood and that is our collective test as a nation or people as God has always wanted man to live a way of life that unites all of mankind, thus so many religions. we believe that Islam was the last religion that god sent to man through the last prophet Muhammad, but muslim or muslim not we are all human and weak and a system like Islam that God has sent to mankind is so perfect the human nature in us F*&) it up if you understand where i am coming from.

I am not debating who is right and who is wrong but rather what is right and what is wrong.

Don't want to keep going on and on but if there is any questions feel free to hit me up.

Peace

top topics

join