It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Fires ICBM Into Pacific

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by el_madmaster
www.cnn.com...

The Minuteman 3 missile's dummy warhead traveled about 4,200 miles in about 20 minutes, hitting a target at the Kwajalein Atoll in the western chain of the Marshall Islands.

What sort of damage would this particular ICBM have done to the atoll itself? Yes I know they tested badass atmosphere-busting nukes there too. Gotta love what ppl will do to paradises like this:

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Yeah, as others have said, I think this is a subtle reminder that US missile technology is more reliable than the Korean missile that dropped into the Sea of Japan or wherever it was. It might have also been a test to make sure their old missiles were actually still reliable.

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Is 4,200 miles enough to strike from anywhere in the US to anywhere in Russia or China? Just to know, thanks.

I don't think they could hit from anywhere, but certainly Alaska or Hawaii are close enough. I'm not sure if they have missiles in those states. I'd imagine Alaska does, but due to terrain Hawaii likely has few to none. In China's case, most of the Chinese live on the eastern part of that country, i.e. closer to the USA. In Russia, it's the opposite, though, most are in the West, about as far from the USA as you can get and still be on Earth.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 04:38 AM
link   
The minuteman III has an effective range of 7,020 miles 11320 Kilometers meaning it could hit any where in Russia, Europe, China. The Middle east is on the outer limits of Minutman III capability with most of Saudi Arabia, the Yemen and the some of the United Arab Emirates out of reach. The places the that are safe from a Minuteman III are the southern half of Africa, Australasia and antarctica.

The Russians and Chinese also have an arsenal that comprises of Full range intercontinental ballistic missiles and have a similar range. So no city in the USA is safe either.

Before anyone shouts BS because because I have stated "no city in the USA is safe" don't waste your energy unless you can proove it to me!

The good old doctrine of Mutual. Assured. Destruction. Still holds true!

new topics

<< 1   >>

join