It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fifth Helicopter Shot Down In Weeks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 11:27 AM
link   

www.cnn.com...

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- An umbrella insurgent group claimed responsibility for downing a U.S. helicopter and "burning it down completely" near Baghdad on Wednesday, according to a claim posted on various Islamist Web sites.

CNN was unable to confirm the authenticity of the statement from the group, which includes al Qaeda in Iraq.

It was the fifth U.S. helicopter to go down in Iraq in almost three weeks. (Watch smoke and flames spew from the downed chopper Video)

Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note (This Appears On Every New Thread/Post Reply Page): MEMBERS: Do not simply post news articles in the forums without comment. If you feel inclined to make the board aware of current events, please post the first paragraph, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item.

[edit on 7/2/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   
theres gotta be something going on here, either the insurgents are getting more of the older SA-7 type shoulder fired sams, or perhaps they are getting a newer more advanced type of sam like the SA-18? and more importantly where are they getting them from? perhaps iran or syria? or maybe they are using heavy anti-aircraft machineguns like russian made NSVs or KORDs? maybe they are getting real good with the RPGs? one thing is for sure though, they are getting much better at downing choppers and thats bad because the roads of iraq are already dangerous enough now the skies are getting worse.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Pull the soldiers out and nuke very Iraqi city one by one till they submitt!

Then if they still want and uprising nuke Baghdad with a 20kiloton bomb and turn that entire bitch into glass

One of my many many theories!!!

They are getting weapons supplied into them from Iran or Syria or some other nation. They would of ran out of weapons long ago!

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   
yep, it think its clear they have a new toy which is very effective.
So its too dangerous to drive, amid the IEDs
and now its getting to dangerous to fly, being there all being shot outta the sky.

So how are these 20,000 troops going to be moving around?

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 11:15 PM
link   
The reports on what, exactly, downed the choppers seem to be mixed. In a couple of cases it appeared to eyewitnesses that the choppers went down after a burst of gunfire - but there are also eyewitnesses who claim 'rockets' were involved (which I take to mean something that leaves a fiery trail, since I don't see 'actual' unguided rockets being very effective).

Could be new tech, or new tactics, or it could just be that our pilots got complacent and weren't flying to the utmost of their ability when in areas they perceived to be safe.

It's also possible that we're too predictable in our flight paths, and leave ourselves open to lay-in-wait tactics by insurgents packing..whatever.

In any case, helicopters aren't very survivable, they never really were, right?

The roads are too dangerous, so we go to the air. Now the air is getting a little too dangerous - so that begs the question, where do we go now? Please say home...

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by KonigKaos

Then if they still want and uprising nuke Baghdad with a 20kiloton bomb and turn that entire bitch into glass

They are getting weapons supplied into them from Iran or Syria or some other nation. They would of ran out of weapons long ago!

And there I was thinking the US "liberated" the Iraqi people and was supporting the "elected" Government...

I didn't realise that they had too submit..

Submit to what, exactly?

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 06:08 AM
link   
It may not be that they are getting more modern anti-air weaponry. It could be that over the four years of occupation, the insurgents have tried many times to shoot down helicopters with little success.

Perhaps they have learnt from this, adjusted at what point they fire their weapon when they see the helicopter (It's not just a simple point and shoot art, there is a 'knack' to it), perhaps noting also what flightpaths the helicopters regularly take, noting the near misses and the missed-by-a-mile-shots, and noting what tactic they had used of a shot that got the near miss until they narrow it down.

Perhaps now they have worked it out to a tee how to bring a copter down.

It's possible they have new weaponry, but it usually takes a while to 'adjust' to them. Perhaps they have had them for a while and have now come to grips with them.

The reports I have heard of helicopters being shot down this year are that heavy machine gun fire was heard before the crash.

I've seen a video of the apache being taken out. That was taken out by a shoulder fired SAM of some sort.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Have you not created enough death? Is your thirst for it that monstrous?

Scary.

Seriously, have a word with yourself.

The insurgents got their hands on lots of weaponry in the aftermath of the invasion, in the chaos that followed that saw Iraqi Army armouries unguarded, and of course receive weaponry when they infiltrate the army and police....

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by charliegrs
theres gotta be something going on here, either the insurgents are getting more of the older SA-7 type shoulder fired sams, or perhaps they are getting a newer more advanced type of sam like the SA-18? and more importantly where are they getting them from? perhaps iran or syria? or maybe they are using heavy anti-aircraft machineguns like russian made NSVs or KORDs? maybe they are getting real good with the RPGs? one thing is for sure though, they are getting much better at downing choppers and thats bad because the roads of iraq are already dangerous enough now the skies are getting worse.

It doesn't require RPGs or SAMs to take out choppers.
.50 cal rounds will do nicely against most helicopters. Harder to down a Blackhawk with .50, but it can be done (assuming you're lucky).

I've noticed that they haven't been saying much about what kind of choppers are going down. Maybe it's too embarrassing for the manufacturers of the equipment. God forbid that Sikorsky (or whoever) should get a bad name and lose money in the middle of a war! That just wouldn't do!
Ya know... the whole point is to make your dollars no matter the bloodshed. Gotta keep the good press and lie about the bad stuff!

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Hip Hop song

to be performed circa 1987)

We was sitting on the block with nothing to do
When I looked at my boys and the defense crew
Said I got a plan and we gonna get paid
Plus we get the Socialite harem so we can get laid
My friends looked at me and said Cool
We made some defense pacts
And got Mad contracts
ended it with a pound

Now we got to get blood on the field
How we do this is we keeping it real
We get the base stirred up by fear
We keep this up for more than a year
Get out the snakes on the tv and airwaves
Remember to side with the preachers Jesus Saves
Keep the propaganda feedback with deceptive loops
And if you question anything the sheep will yell out "Support the troops" TROOPS TROOPS TROOOPS (Echo) (Drum Break and Turntable cuts)

Now we got it ramped it up to get the funds for this trip
Dangerous Nuclear Threat and Liberation are talking points to this conflict
We got stacks of cash for this mess
And it's all thanks to the SHEEP CONGRESS and the PRESS
They signed off on it cuz we ramped it hard
And not to mention we pulled Joe Wilson's card
We got it locked we sent a sucker, Aint no cake in Nigeria
But still we make people believe that crap causing mad hysteria

Make these fools believe we have evidence of WMD
And if they don't believe "You hate america, B"
Be patriotic even though me and my boys won't go
Cuz I got to keep my eye on this cash flow
But I thank you for your service, ya know?
My Boy Rummy Don says we be out fast

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - A U.S. Apache helicopter went down north of Baghdad on Sunday, local residents said, but the U.S. military said it was not aware of any such incident.

Residents reported seeing a missile hit the attack helicopter, which carries two crew, bringing it down in the Timayma area, near Taji, site of a major U.S. air base 20 km (12 miles) north of Baghdad.

www.iraq-war.ru...

I think its becoming clear, they DO have a new toy
If this is true, you dont just start shooting down 7 heli's, with the same ol means.

Plus, when a heli goes down and explodes, what exactly will you find that suggests it WASNT A missile?

I think Iran are simply making sure they dent the US abilities NOW, before it really gets started.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
I think Iran are simply making sure they dent the US abilities NOW, before it really gets started...

What better training could you give your troops than to get them to nip next-door to Iraq and get some live-fire combat and tactics training against the very same army thats threatening to attack you

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Exactly.

Lets call this what it really is,

Iran testing their equipment, and training against the military hardware of the USA

Its just too good an opportunity to pass up.
a full fledged training ground.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Iraq is a real blessing in disguise for the Iranian military.
They can test new variants of weapons such as the IED/EFP against state-of-the-art US armour...and in particular refine ground-to-air weaponry tactics, as that will be the most likely method of attack on Iran to minimise US boots-on-ground casualties...

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Another one just got downed in ramadi.

hallelujah.

--------

The missiles they used to down the helicopters are called "strela"

It is not possible to shoot one down using an RPG.

you may be able to shoot it down with gun fire but it's difficult and unlike.

In one of the iraqi videos, you can see that the Iraqi resistance shoots at the helicopter first before using the missile. This is an attempt to conserve the missile.

[edit on 12-2-2007 by Syrian Sister]

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Has anyone ever heard of a proximity fuse on an RPG?

I've had no luck in finding documentation on this, but I've heard that Somalians and Afghanis have cobbled these together in the past (Helicopters were critical to Russian tactics in Afghanistan). I've seen no factual information pertaining to this possibility, just rumors.

So, has anyone here ever heard of a proximity fuse being fitted to an RPG, for the purpose of creating an air burst to take out helicopters?

Is it just a rumor, or what?

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   
www.homelandsecurityus.com...

Think this may help to show what is bringing them down also.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
I've had no luck in finding documentation on this, but I've heard that Somalians and Afghanis have cobbled these together in the past (Helicopters were critical to Russian tactics in Afghanistan). I've seen no factual information pertaining to this possibility, just rumors.

So, has anyone here ever heard of a proximity fuse being fitted to an RPG, for the purpose of creating an air burst to take out helicopters?

Is it just a rumor, or what?

www.bigpedia.com...

Maximum range is between 900 and 1100 metres, the fuse sets the maximum range, usually 920 m. The timed detonation has been used to create rough proximity airbursts against helicopters once they have passed the preferred 100 m head-on attack zone.

www.defense-update.com...

At the maximum range of 920 meters, RPGs self explodes (4.5 seconds from firing) and that's how the weapon is sometime used as a form of "artillery", spraying shrapnel over military installations, or slow, low flying or hovering helicopters.

Based on the information, the first source mentions about time detonation. Other sources (including the second one as an example) does not mention about it. Nor have I heard of any event where the rpg has fired and explodes close to the helos. Many of the helos gone down are from direct hits. Most of the information I have gotten is that its mostly self destruct when passed the 900m mark.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Well it looks like now there are seven choppers down:

Military Confirms 7th Helicopter Was Shot Down

A Sea Knight helicopter that crashed last week northwest of Baghdad was shot down, the U.S. military said Wednesday, reversing earlier statements that it appeared to have been due to mechanical failure.

The Marine CH-46 troop transport went down northwest of Baghdad on Feb. 7, killing all seven people on board, and an al-Qaida-linked Sunni group claimed responsibility and aired a video.

Bad times for Coalition in Iraq these days...

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Syrian Sister
Another one just got downed in ramadi.

hallelujah.

--------

[edit on 12-2-2007 by Syrian Sister]

Hallelujah? WTF? How are you to be taken seriously with regards to loss of human life, when you're rejoicing at other's death? How is it that anyone should mourn the loss of those who you apparently ally yourself with, when you obviously are disengenuous about your concern for life. As long as it's the loss of American life it's ok?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join