It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confirmed C-17's for Canadian Forces

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by jra
Thanks for the continued updates Canada_EH. It's great to see it all painted up and done. Do you have links to any larger photos?

Ask and you shall recive right! Well I also found a post by Boeing as well so I'm adding that as well.

ST. LOUIS, July 25, 2007 -- The first of four Boeing [NYSE: BA] C-17 Globemaster IIIs for the Canadian Defense Forces took flight for the first time Monday, a major milestone leading to the aircraft's delivery on Aug. 8. With a takeoff weight of 460,000 pounds, (208,650 kg), the advanced airlifter lifted off from Long Beach, Calif., at 3:36 p.m. Pacific time, and flew for three hours and 45 minutes.

Led by Boeing production pilot Joel Brown, the seven-person crew put the C-17 through a series of functional checks, flying west over the Pacific Ocean, before returning to the facility where Boeing assembles and tests C-17s prior to delivery.

the Boeing article link: www.boeing.com...

As for the links of some images here we go.

www.airforce.forces.gc.ca...

There are a number on the DND site for the airforce in there image gallery which this link is for. Just search C-17 as link the actual photos doesn't work, hence the many edits.

[edit on 22/08/06 by Canada_EH]

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Canada_EH
Well I also found a post by bowing as well

Thats a neat trick! what do you get if you simply shake someones hand or say please? No wait, let me guess?..... Access to the restricted internal Lockheed employees intranet!

Me thinks you meant to type Boeing mate.

LEE.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by thebozeian

Originally posted by Canada_EH
Well I also found a post by bowing as well

Thats a neat trick! what do you get if you simply shake someones hand or say please? No wait, let me guess?..... Access to the restricted internal Lockheed employees intranet!

Me thinks you meant to type Boeing mate.

LEE.

Come on one key off give me some slack its a new kwyboard!

jra

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Well, it looks like the CC-177 is going to appear in my towns airshow afterall. Hopefully it will come in a day or so early. I'll try to snap some pics of it.

www.abbotsfordairshow.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Trenton CFB is being expanded. I'll see if I can have a friend get some local data when visiting next week. Last I heard from a trucker-bud was 2000 more persons and longer upgraded runways.

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Well she is in the air and headed home! Our CC-177 is enroute as we speak for arrival in CFB Trenton, which you right Vic is being expanded with what you mentioned and a updated ATC tower and hanger as well for the new CC-177's.

Canadian Forces representatives joined Boeing executives and more than 1,000 company employees yesterday for an historic ceremony at Boeing’s Long Beach, California C-17 final assembly facility during which Canada received its first-ever C-17 Globemaster III strategic airlifter. Today, Canada One lifted off from the tarmac at the Long Beach facility en route for its home in the “true North”.

The delivery of “Canada One” is the first of four C-17s that Boeing will deliver to Canada. We now join the United Kingdom and Australia as international countries that operate C-17s. A second Canadian C-17 is scheduled for delivery in October 2007, and the final two aircraft will be delivered in 2008.

link: www.airforce.forces.gc.ca...

ST. LOUIS, Aug. 08, 2007 -- Standing at the podium in front of Canada's first C-17, Dave Bowman, Boeing vice president C-17 program manager, addresses a large crowd in Long Beach, Calif., for the delivery of the new airlifter. Bowman and other speakers noted the strong cooperation and collaboration between the U.S. and Canadian governments that resulted in the airplane's delivery just six months after contract agreement.

Canada’s new C-17 Globemaster III departs Long Beach, headed for Canada, on August 9th.

Oh and your right jra they desided last minute to drop by the airshow on their way to CFB Trenton so the CC-177 won't get there till the 12th or 13th then.

Canada becomes the third international C-17 customer, following the United Kingdom's Royal Air Force and the Royal Australian Air Force. Canada's first C-17 will arrive at its home base in Trenton on Aug. 12, after a brief stop at the Abbotsford International Air Show near Vancouver, British Columbia on Aug. 11. Boeing will deliver the second Canadian C-17 in October and the final two aircraft in 2008.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by V Kaminski
Trenton CFB is being expanded. I'll see if I can have a friend get some local data when visiting next week. Last I heard from a trucker-bud was 2000 more persons and longer upgraded runways.

I found the news release from the DND on the expansion project. I spent 5 summers up at Trenton a number of years ago going through the Cadet programe and eventually coming out of it with my pilots licence. Anyways here is the link and a little clip.

link:www.forces.gc.ca...

The Honourable Gordon O’Connor, Minister of National Defence, today announced plans for two construction projects at 8 Wing/CFB Trenton, an investment estimated at $34 million for the local economy. The projects include the construction of an air traffic control tower, as well as the reconstruction of several taxiways and the expansion of an existing ramp to provide four permanent parking areas in preparation for the arrival of the strategic airlift C-17 Globemaster IIIs. It is anticipated that these initiatives alone will result in the creation of over 85 jobs in the region

These projects are the first of several multi-million dollar projects to take place in the coming years at 8 Wing/CFB Trenton. For example, the reconstruction of the ramp and taxiways is the first of three phases, as the intent is to also reconstruct the southeastern and western areas. Preliminary development is underway for the construction of three hangars to support existing aircraft, and the new fleet of C-17s. An upgrade to the fuel distribution system is also being developed. In addition, an Aerospace and Telecommunications Engineering Support Squadron Refinishing Facility is being designed, and will replace the existing facility that is aging and no longer meets operational requirements.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 07:10 AM
link   
C-17 Number 1 delivered! Trenton CFB, as announced on CBC radio Monday morning. There were ceremonies over the weekend... and we may have a new Minister of Defense today. My trucker friend has some pics and will be back in Toronto this week. If any photos are noteworthy I will be sure to post!

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Thanks Vic I'd love to see some of his shots! Its been a long time since I've been up in Trenton so I may need to head up there in the next bit once they have a couple more in rotation since I'm sure the training regament and transport duties it will be throwenb into at home will leave it with very little time on the ground.

Oh almost forgot if our current chief of defence steps down I'll be sorry cause he is the first guy with any combat experenice to hold the seat in a good while. Hope he stays on because even if he sucks at politics I could care less as long as he knows how to treat our boys well and look oout for em.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   
We'll see how good the photos are. A good portion of 8 Wing has been behind 20 foot tall privacy fencing since about 2002 or so... the Golf Course allows one to see the tower.

There isn't much high ground. One thing is sure to happen - real estate pressure in the area will rise. About the Defense Minister... who the heck can Harper pick and still keep a straight-face? Clement? Ambrose? Baird? MacKay? Toews? A non-elected person? Himself? How about Hillier? Tough choice. Meetings all day in Ottawa.

Cheers,

Vic

[edit on 13-8-2007 by V Kaminski]

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I'm not sure Vic but I think you have a good view of the base from the RCAF meuseum on the corner of the base but its not that great to get shots of the flight line. Frankly the best shot is going in an asking if you can get some where to get a couple shots as a vistor they are pretty friendly at times so it is possible.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Figured I may as well update those of you (like myself) who are interested in the contract details some more information. Recently Boeing has announced the break down of the contract and the required investment in the Canadian aerospace industry.

Boeing announces $52 million in contracts to companies in Canada's Atlantic region, as part of Canada's CC-177 order. These contracts do not have to be C-17 related, and winners include: IMP Aerospace (F/A-18 wire bundles), Wiebel Aerospace (subcontract from Goodrich, Direct work on C-17), and Memorial University of Newfoundland (establishment of an autonomous systems laboratory).

Also a further bit of information on some more of the contracts.

Boeing announces more than $420 million in contracts to companies in Quebec, including: Bombardier (Executive jets), CAE (Civil aviation simulators), Eedo (Force 10 training management tool system), Goodrich subcontracted work (Heliplex Springs, Hochelaga Aerospace)

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Last 2 CC-177s where delivered this past may as reported by Flight.

Canada took delivery of its last two Boeing C-17 strategic transports in mid-May, with all four of its aircraft having been delivered within less than nine months.

Assigned to 429 Sqn at CFB Trenton, Ontario, the new aircraft - dubbed CC-177s in Canadian service - flew their first operational sorties within two days of arriving at the base after having self-protection equipment installed in San Antonio, Texas.

Really hope to see one on static this year but if not then probably next. I'll be sure to post pics when I get them too. The planes have been busy though and have had to cancel already from 2 air shows so we will see what the summer brings.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join