It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists devise test for string theory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 07:57 AM
link   
www.eetimes.com...

PORTLAND, Ore. — Researchers at the University of Wisconsin at Madison claim that they have found a way to test string theory. String theory is a leading candidate in the search to identify a single principle that guides all other forces of nature in the universe—weak and strong nuclear forces as well as electromagnetic and gravitational forces. But until now no one had devised an experiment to test it.

The researchers suggest that they can confirm the unified theory from the effects seen as they peer back into time to observe the most distant astronomical objects, which existed "at the beginning" of the universe.

The postulation of these extra dimensions—up to 10 in all—explains why only the pointlike tips of these particles are visible to us: The rest of each particle could be spread through this multidimensional space. Their interactions in the other dimensions—akin to interference among vibrating "strings"—explains why quantum mechanics requires statistics to describe matter: their tips could be jumping about like the end of a whip.

This is so exciting!!! Until now, string theory has been more of a mathematic philosophy than a proven science. Soon we will know for sure whether it's just a logical coincidence, or a valid theory of everything. Unfortunately the data we have now on the universe's background radiation isn't nearly as detailed as we need it for the proof, but we'll soon have acurate enough info to do a real test.

On a side note, I thought there was progress in proving supersymmetry to be true. This wouldn't necessarily prove string theory, but it would go a long way in it's favor right? Does anyone know how that's coming along?

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   
The article you quoted doesn't really explain the test, though.

I wonder if there's any more detail available on this?

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 09:01 AM
link   
This article is confusing to me! It seems as if they are trying to test one theory, by using another theory as proof. You can't prove a theory with another theory.

Will someone with a backgound in Quantum Physics explain this to me?

Tim

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Is there somebody out there that can post an "at a glance", laymen's version of "String Theory"?

Links are fine too.

I am vaguely familiar with this, but would like to see if somebody more knowledgeable can give me a hand here.

Thanks.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Check here for string theory info
www.pbs.org...

new topics

top topics

join