It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

flu virus can cause heart attacks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 06:19 AM
link   
i had this same thread in another place in ats before i knew about bts is seems this is a better place for it.

This is something I did not know until it happened to me.

I had the flu not a bad case so mild in fact that I completely ignored it ...until one night I felt bad so I went to bed early and had some wild symptoms hot and clod flashes erratic pulse delirious hallucinations then I passed out for an unknown time when I woke up I felt "better" but weak very weak but I passed it off as the flu catching up with me.

The next day I was talking to a friend of mine who is a hospice nurse r.n. and described the episode and he says so what did the Dr. say about it and I said what Dr. I feel better his response was that if I did not see a Dr. he would come up here and drag me to one.

so okay I go to the e. r. and they listen to my story just like you and say sounds like a bad case of the flu ...but we'll do one more blood test just to make sure, so I’m putting my clothes back on getting ready to go home and the nurse comes back in and says "lay down, her take this aspirin, hold still were going to put an iv. In and take this o2 mask and put it on.

What is going on I ask she says you have had a heart attack so they put me in a room and all these Dr's. and such come to see me and I get the idea that this is not going to end very good for me... livening wails organ donation and all this stuff they talked to me about so...

the next morning I’m in an ambulance headed for he big med institute in Portland or. and the do a bunch of tests and a cardiac cauterization echo cardiograms and such and it come back that yes I had a heart attack and missed dying right there by a hair and now my heart does not work right the left atrium is hardly moving and I have an ejection fraction of only 40% and to make things even better I will probable live but could just die for no apparent reason in the next 2 years or so they called it viral myocarditis and said most don't even get to the hospital ,

it is caused when a flu virus gets into your heart muscle and there is no way to prevent or predict it the Dr. said you have to look at it like being struck by lightning it just happens be glad you survived, and I am to be sure but 2 years have gone by now and I am still weak and my heart is still not working properly I can have a bp of 97/56 bpm of 95 .

So for all the good it does to warn you this sort of thing can and does happen all the time

new topics

join