It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army Rangers vs. Navy Seals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I do not know if a thread like this has already been created, but I was wondering, who would win in a hypothetical battle between the Rangers and Navy Seals? Both are elite, but if it came down to it, who has better tatics, weaponry, training, etc?

Personally, I lean toward the Rangers, but thats out of my own bias. What do you guys think?

Nick

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   
it would come down to the last man, who wanted to live the most.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Seals vs. rangers it kind of like which is best orange juice or maple syrup, the theater of conflict would most likely determine the out come because of the specialized nature of the combatants. I doubt the rangers would be up to littoral warfare and assaulting airfield is not a seal specialty. But everything being even rangers in urban and seals in the swamp.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 09:58 PM
link   
It's true there is no comparison here, but the skills learned by the Seals could also benefit them on land. Where as the Rangers would be at a disadvantage in the water. I guess it would depend on the location. I lean more toward the Seals however.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   
The rangers although bad ass soldiers are soldiers in the more classical sense. Think paratroopers with a lot more training. THey are great for seazing air fields and such. They are ment to go in and hit hard. But they have their limitations. They are best when used in larger groups and units.

SEALS use much smaller units. so for it to be fair put equal numbers of men against each other. SEALS and Rangers can probably kill just about the same, but the SEALS have a lot more creepy tactics to use, which the Rangers might not be aware of. Rangers are frequently used to help back up SEALS, DELTA, and other various SF groups. The roll with some heavy stuff.

SEALS are equaly leathal on land and water. To them anywhere where they have water in their canteens is a water invironment and they are just fine. Personally I think a SEAL has a little more finess to their technique and are trained a lot more intensly. In a fist fight man to man, a SEAL. In a gun fight one on one, as SEAL is quicker with the trigger finger and more accurate.

Rangers have an indominable spirit though and will fight to the death if thats what they needto do accomplish their mission.

I personally don't think SEAL and Rangers would ever fight each other other than a fist fight in a bar or base somewhere.

Some Delta guys have said that Rangers are THE example of what soldiers should be like and were impressed with their courage at Grenada. The rangers arrived in just the nick of time to distract angry grenadan soldiers, and put down heavy suppressive fire on them which allowed Delta members to continue on with their objectives. but a lot of Delta and Army SF are recruited from the Rangers.

In an urban setting I would go with SEALS over Rangers in a fight. All around in fact.

However, The rangers have their reputation at stake with the Marine Corp. Force Recon Units entering the SOCOM community. They are the new SF group on the American block and they were super leathal in Iraq and have made quite the name for themselves. They were used by the generals to go head on into ambushes or towns and cities that the regular Marines and Army found too tough. It was their job to break the back of the iraqi insurgents and fighters during the begining of the ground campaine. Basically they would roll into ambushes on orders and shoot their way out, usually leaving the enemy devestated. They are also heavily trained in SEAL techniques and cross train with them.

SO really it should be Force Recon vrs Rangers.

[edit on 7-2-2007 by BASSPLYR]

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Pfft, that's easy. Army Rangers by a long shot...

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Do Rangers actually recieve any kind of training in or around water??? Seals recieve a lot more training dont they?

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I may be biased because I was in the Army...but let me just state for the record.. that there is nothing, and I mean nothing, that comes outs of the pansy waisted Navy that equal the strength of the Army Rangers... No offense to my compadres in the Navy, but it's just a fact.. Hey,I still love ya...

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Whats the army's opinion on Marine Corp. Force recon? Just curious.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
Whats the army's opinion on Marine Corp. Force recon? Just curious.

Marines? They are bad ass.. We have a saying in the army, As far as toughness goes the rank is like this

1. Marines- Some bad Muthas'

2. Army

3. Navy

4. Air Force

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Yeah I think a competition between marine recon and Army rangers is more fair.

I agree with the Air Force being at the bottom. I've got a friend who was ex-Air paramaedical Rescue. Air Force SF's that go in with other SF units from different branches of the military. Real hardcore guys, but...even this guy said that apart from them all the air force guys were pussy's in bar fights. Not saying that it doesn't take balls to fly a fighter jet, just that in hand to hand combate they weren't so orientated.

Most SF groups will clear room at a crowed mess table for a AF Paramedical Rescue guy. They are the ones that go in to rescue downed pilots, and injured SEALS, Rangers,Delta,Force Recon guys off the field, or out of enemy territory, also assist in on site target designation for smart bombs, sorta like a forward air controller. And they can fill in for a Navy field medic, which are deployed to a lot of military units including SF ones.

He concured that navy guys were down near the bottom, but he held out for SEALS and said they will kick your ass if you prevoke them, and that yes they can stomp just about most people into the ground.

He also said and I have heard this confirmed with other military guys, that almost nobody from any branch messes with a Marine Gunny Seargent. He will most definantly kick your ass. Even SF guys don't like to tangle with a vetran Gunny. Not prudent at all.

join