It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Military Command Dedicated To Africa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 08:24 PM
link   
The pentagon will be establishing a new military command to oversee operations in Africa. This was announced today by President Bush and Defense Secretary Gates. The order has been give to Gates to have the command established by the end of the fiscal year of 2008. The location is not yet decided. Command for operations in Africa is currently divided between three locations. The head of central command Africa will be Adm. Wiliam J. Fallon.

www.nytimes.com
Creation of the United States Africa Command, which had been expected, will “strengthen our security cooperation with Africa and create new opportunities to bolster the capabilities of our partners in Africa,” Mr. Bush said.

The president said he had directed Mr. Gates to have the command established by the fiscal year that ends on Sept. 30, 2008. The location of the new command will be determined after discussions with Congress and officials of countries on the continent, Mr. Bush said.

Mr. Gates, testifying today before the Senate Armed Services Committee, said the new command will eliminate an “outdated arrangement left over from the Cold War.”

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The news story did make it sound like this has been a long time coming. Also when you have a military that covers the globe, responsibility is divided into areas. However I just cannot shake the feeling that this is being done now because more activity is being either planned or foreseen. Look at what has been happening with Sudan, and Samalia, Etheopia. I don't know if this is a precursor to anything else, but if something else happens it will most likely be seen that way.

Related News Links:
www.estripes.com
www.plenglish.com
www.abcnews.go.com
allafrica.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Armed Militants Storm US Oil Platforms In Nigeria
11 States Fuel Islamic Civil War in Somalia
Somalia: Mogadishu Is Burning

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Well the Middle East command was set up in Qatar, and they have allied nations on oe side, and the nations they wage operations against on the other. Therefore, it would make sense, IMO, that Djibouti may be a practical location for the African command.

We already have a military presence there. It is bordered by an allied Ethiopia, a stable Somaliland and allied Saudia Arabia across. Yet, they still have close enough proximity to Somalia, where considering recent activity within the last 6 months will soon enough involve some US presence there as well. Sudan is just a stones throw away. I am not exactly sure how we would deal with Nigerian militants constant attacks on oil platforms though.

I don't see the countries on the way there granting military flights over their airspace, and I would think it too risky to send them on civilian flights.

I also do not envision any presence on the West Coast due to the French presence already operating in many of those nations. Personally I think that Djibouti would be the place.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 02:12 AM
link   
A new Africa command (AFRICOM) makes sense because the confusing layout they have now where three separate commands share responsibly is just not very efficient or practical. Also under this new arrangement the only country or territory which will not be under the control of AFRICOM is Egypt due to it's close involvement in the Middle East. Egypt will still remain under CENTCOM.

Current Regional Command Structure

Link to Hi Rez

I too think that the base will be on the west side near the Horn of Africa. Currently most of the trouble or potential for trouble is centered in that region but also we have established bases there not only in Africa but in nearby Mid East countries. It also makes sense from a deployment point of view since we can easily and quickly move forces from the Gulf to that area if need be seeing as how we have an established presence in the Arabian Sea. Furthermore a new separate Africa command makes sense because in the near and long term future Africa will play a big role in a host of issues; From the war on terrorism (terrorist organizations, Islamic factions/governments and also pirating of international commerce and tourism) Link. Also the looming strategic resource and influence war that has already aggressively been initiated by China cannot be overlooked. Link. Recent studies have also shown that the oil and gas fields in the Gulf of Guinea will be important to the US in the coming years because we will start to import more oil form Africa. Link.

Related Links

Pan Sahel Initiative

Oil in Gulf of Guinea

[edit on 7-2-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 07:04 AM
link   
West point,
That was a very well thought out and informative replay, thanks!!
You seem to be very well informed on all this. I was not ignorant to the fact that the U.S. does have a world wide command structure, but this new command was news that I came across. Do you follow what the U.S. military does on a daily basis or something?

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
That was a very well thought out and informative replay, thanks!!

Thank you, and no problem.

Originally posted by RedGolem
Do you follow what the U.S. military does on a daily basis or something?

Actually yes I do to an unhealthy degree I might add, and it's not just the US military but anything that has to do with defense (world wide). And since we're still on the topic of a new Africa command I came across this bit of news just yesterday.

For China, each country Hu visits will be to reaffirm negotiations for raw materials, energy supplies, aid assistance, debts forgiveness and negotiations, which is aimed to secure China's quest for global positioning. Put it another way, to add another piece to the puzzle of replacing the United States as the only superpower in the world.

China needs a military base in the Indian Ocean. It is considered that the Seychelles has the best global position for her need in Africa and the Indian Ocean region. President Hu's visit to Seychelles is not a PRC's first step in that direction, but a culmination of events and a finale of sorts.

Link

The Seychelles

All the more reason for the US to get more involved in the Africa region.

[edit on 7-2-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   
WestPoint,
Well I do understand you meaning when you say to an unhealthy degree. But reading information and news of wold wide military happenings is not really unhealthy. So by all means I am glad some one out there is really keeping up on what is going on.
As to china moving into that reagon. I do see your point that the U.S. should also have a strong stance in the are, but more to the point, I think it looks to me like China will be the wolds supper power soon and there is little the U.S. can do about it. That is aside from the hidden alien agenda and technology if you believe in any of that.

new topics

top topics

join