It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Italy finds 6000 year old fossil of couple hugging!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
so their family had them shot full of arrows ?

you don't think thats a little severe ?

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Thought everybody might be interested to know:

Cupid is the most famous of Valentine symbols and everybody knows that boy armed with bow and arrows, and piercing hearts . He is known as a mischievous, winged child armed with bow and arrows. The arrows signify desires and emotions of love, and Cupid aims those arrows at Gods and Humans, causing them to fall deeply in love. Cupid has always played a role in the celebrations of love and lovers. In ancient Greece he was known as Eros, the young son of Aphrodite, the goddess of love and beauty. To the Roman's he was Cupid, and his mother was Venus.

There is a very interesting story about Cupid and His mortal Bride Psyche in Roman mythology. Venus was jealous of the beauty of Psyche, and ordered Cupid to punish the mortal. But instead, Cupid fell deeply in love with her. He took her as his wife, but as a mortal she was forbidden to look at him.

Perhaps this was the couple that inspired the great legend.

AAC

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Actually I am an avid reader of ancient history and is very interesting to know that in ancient times when pacts were sealed with unions the young people were never asked if they wanted to be part of any decisions made by the elders.

Yes, is also known in history that death was the result of forbidden relationships outside the family or tribe arrangements.

So is plenty of stories of forbidden loves that end up dying rather than been separated.

Perhaps the couple could not stand been apart and death was the result of the shame brought to the families or tribal groups.

Specially if the young lovers consummated their love.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Notice also that this is in Northern Italy, and that Verona is in NOrthern Italy. These guys are like the original star crossed lovers!

www.shortnews.com...
outside Mantua

Oh heck its actually right in the region itself, I didn't realize, I thought it was just north italy in general, not right there!

That almost makes me wonder if whatever happened to them WAS the start of a romeo and juliet traditional story!

Originally posted by marg6043
Well If they were killed by somebody else . . . more reason to believe that they were on some kind of forbidden relationship that brought shame to their tribe or family.

I think it more likely that they simply died in a skirmish with other people. They were wounded when their settlement or what have you was attacked, and died later. Their friends, family, whatever, buried them together like that.

Yes, is also known in history that death was the result of forbidden relationships outside the family or tribe arrangements.

Indeed, even in realtively 'recent' times, amoung the classical romans, if a 'vestal virgin' was having a relationship with a man, she'd be buried alive (which is how a woman is stoned in some countries, buried to the neck, and then battered with rocks).

But I don't think that their tribe would kill them, and then bury them together like that.

Of course its also possible that the man died and the woman was a wife who was killed to be buried along with him. The old Hindus used to have their wives jump onto the husband's burial pyre, and we know that other european cultures would kill a king or lord's servants to bury them with him. I suppose it would depend on the forensic evidence from the bodies.

[edit on 18-2-2007 by Nygdan]

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Is there any evidence they died in that position, or were placed like that, after their death?

Either way, it's an interesting find.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I think its beleived to be a burial, not a death scene, that was then covered in a landslide or something like that. They were killed, prolly from the big sharp rocks stuck into them, and then buried. Whoever buried them must've known them at least well enough to think that they'd appreciate being buried together like that.

And notice this was announced around Valentines day too.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 04:05 AM
link   
They were sleeping tight when the volcano eruption was happening so fast and vast, flooding hot larva and burying the whole village within a short time.

There are also fossils of mother hugging baby, pets and domestic animals in sleeping position.

Did they find any couple on top of each other?

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   
youre confusing this with pompei near naples

en.wikipedia.org...

in this case nothing was buried by lava at all

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marduk
youre confusing this with pompei near naples

en.wikipedia.org...

in this case nothing was buried by lava at all

Ok, sorry Sir Marduk Ph.d.

My apology, I must have mixed up this Pompeii with this allegedly so called Rome & Julie live happily ever after position.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join