It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex U.S. Border Patrol Is Beaten In Prison

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 07:40 PM
link   
One of the two US Border Patrols that were sentenced to a total of 23 years in prison for shooting a drug smuggler in the buttocks was attacked and beaten in prison.

www.foxnews.com
EL PASO, Texas — A former Border Patrol agent who was convicted of shooting a drug smuggling suspect and then lying about it has been beaten by fellow inmates in prison.

Prison officials on Tuesday confirmed assertions by a congressman and relatives of Ignacio Ramos. He was attacked Saturday night after his case was described on the TV show "America's Most Wanted," the officials said.

Ramos suffered minor cuts and bruises, U.S. Bureau of Prisons spokeswoman Traci Billingsley said in a statement.

Ramos has been moved to the special housing unit at the medium- and low-security federal prison in Yazoo City, Miss., where he is serving time, Billingsley said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Thanks, Mr. Bush. First you refused to pardon or lessen these agent's sentences. Now you show that you are unable or unwilling to protect them while they serve their excessive sentences.

Are there any men left in Washington, DC?

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I've been torn with this whole incident myself.
I tend to have a more liberla viewpoint, and I disagree that he
should have shot him.

That said.

The prison is suppose to keep people that are liable to be attacked
by other inmates like that away fromt he general prison population
for this exact purpose.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 08:19 PM
link   
JSO, how can you even possibly begin to blame the POTUS for this!? While I'm not a big fan of his policies on immigration nor of the sentencing of these two agents WTF does Bush have to do with it? He should not use his power to pardon to interfere with the judicial process, no matter how much he may or may not like the verdict. Furthermore, what is Bush supposed to do? Come down to the prison and personally protect this agent? It's up to the guards and prison system, not the President. I'm begin to think nothing can happen without someone blaming Bush for it.

[edit on 6-2-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 08:38 PM
link   
WestPoint23, you have read my threads before. You know that I have supported this administration, often single-handedly. So please, this is not just another "blame Bush" thread.

These guys were railroaded by an overzealous, liberal prosecutor. The sentence they received was excessive. Yes, they did something wrong in their attempt to coverup, but they did not deserve their excessive sentences.

There was only one person who could have mitigated their sentence. I am not a lone voice here; I happen to know that Bush recieved hundreds of thousands of signatures petitioning him to step in. He ignored us.

Meanwhile, the same drug smuggler has subsequently been caught smuggling drugs into the US. What "justice" do you think he will receive?

I am frustrated and angry, not only with Bush's refusal to step in, but for his failure to acknowledge the problems we face on our border. He has found it in his heart to pardon 58 convicts so far in his two terms; these guys deserve the same treatment.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I agree Js, but is something definitely wrong with that case, is to many secrecy and how in the world the drug dealer is going to get protection over two American citizens.

I smell a fish and I thing that is something dirty behind the whole issue and somebody is protecting somebody.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I've stood up for bush many times before, but here I have to agree with jsobecky that where bush gets raked for this is that he had the chance to set things right, and I agree he failed to stand up like a man. He acted more like vicente faux carries bush's cojones in his purse.

And marge, I think I'm agreeing with you that this whole case stinks, since the border patrol guy is being used as a pawn in a much larger game.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Who beat him up in prison is the question I want to know! I'm guessing there is a descent chance it was an illegal. O whoops, just read the article it was a group of illegals, sounds about right. So this is where Law Enforcement is keeping the illegals , what sweet irony for a border patrol agent then. But, seriously these two need to be pardoned. And in the mean time they should be transferred to safe conditions, this is unacceptable and we need to protect our law enforcement officers since after all they protect us.
This proves my argument that corporate america controls our politics to such an extent that cheap illegal labor often times gets preferential treatment over the average american. This is yet one more case where the illegal wins out simply by the merit of being illegal. If that guy was a mexican american he would be in for 20 to life, but since he is an illegal the cop gets tossed in jail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????

[edit on 6-2-2007 by Low Orbit]

[edit on 6-2-2007 by Low Orbit]

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
WestPoint23, you have read my threads before. You know that I have supported this administration, often single-handedly. So please, this is not just another "blame Bush" thread.

No it's not but I feel as if you are unfairly blaming Bush for this when in fact it is the prosecutor who should be the one in prison and taking the criticism.

Originally posted by jsobecky
I am frustrated and angry, not only with Bush's refusal to step in, but for his failure to acknowledge the problems we face on our border. He has found it in his heart to pardon 58 convicts so far in his two terms; these guys deserve the same treatment.

I am not angry that Bush did not step in, he should not appoint himself the righteous overseer of every local, state and federal case. If something is not right in the process then it is up to the offices and people most directly involved to do somtrthing, not Bush. You do have a point about Bush and his policies on immigration though and I'm right there with you. Also, IMO Presidents should not use their power of pardon unless it is a very special case (like Nixon for example) but not as far as ordinary cases go where a jury is involved.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   
These two men were railroaded, they did not try to cover anything up! In fact all that any border patrol agent is required to do is give an oral report of the incident to their supervisor. Which they did! Their supervisor decided to not file a written report because no one knew that the drug smuggler was shot in the butt. Other agents were there and knew about the incident, and picking up the shell casings was not a cover up, they reported the incident. In fact Compean was in a physical altercation with the suspect and had some scrapes that when he requested to file a report for that he was denied. There is so much treachery that has occurred in this case that it makes me sick. The reason that Bush is getting any blame in this is because many who have taken a good look at this case realized that the system failed and basically has two men who were doing their job of border agent in a very dangerous position. Bush as president has the power to rectify this situation. The president has the right to 'interfer' in the legal judiciary system, and around Christmas he pardoned some criminals including drug dealers.

Look further into this case yourself and you will see how completely wrong this case is.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Yeah, thanks a lot Bush for "protecting and defending" our nation.. It's funny, Bush gave this smuggler a second chance but he continues to allow these border guards who were doing their job to remain in prison. Thanks a lot Bush.. Really

new topics

top topics

join