It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Challenge Riddle

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Here is a riddle for you all, see how who can get the right answer or how many have heard it.

You stand at a fork in the road. Next to each of the two forks, there stands a guard. You know the following things: 1. One path leads to Paradise, the other to Death. From where you stand, you cannot distinguish between the two paths. Worse, once you start down a path, you cannot turn back. 2. One of the two guards always tells the truth. The other guard always lies. Unfortunately, it is impossible for you to distinguish between the two guards.
You have permission to ask one guard one question to ascertain which path leads to Paradise. Remember that you do not know which guard you're asking -- the truth-teller or the liar -- and that this single question determines whether you live or die. The question is: What one question asked of one guard guarantees that you are led onto the path to Paradise, regardless of which guard you happen to ask?

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 10:40 AM
link   
The only thing I can think of would be to ask one of the gaurds to lie. Because the one that tells only the truth wouldn't be able to lie.

I'm sure that's not the right answer, but that's all I have.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I would have to ask either of them, if they are on the "left" path. It would be painfully obvious if you asked the liar, if he were actually on the right side path and said yes to my question, or if he were actually on the left side and said no to my question. I think I may have a winner.

Unless the OP is seriously twisted.

voila!

I have been torturing my brain since yesterday trying to think of an answer for this.

edit to add:

It would be confusing if you were to ask if they were on the "right" path as that may be misconstrued as meaning the opposite of wrong path.

[edit on 2/7/2007 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32

I have been torturing my brain since yesterday trying to think of an answer for this.

Me too! That's why I didn't post anything yesterday
Maybe that's why other people haven't posted yet either.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I almost thought I had it once yesterday, but my logic hadn't kicked in yet. When I found this thread today, it just came to me.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Can you explain your answer more clearly? I'm nicotine deprived, and I'm not thinking about anything but a smoke. It's not registering with me…I can’t seem to grasp it.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32
I would have to ask either of them, if they are on the "left" path. It would be painfully obvious if you asked the liar, if he were actually on the right side path and said yes to my question, or if he were actually on the left side and said no to my question. I think I may have a winner.

you can ask one question and you ask the guard on the left if he is on the left?
so he says yes or no, you still don't know paradise or death.

you ask one guard (doesn't matter which one) "if I ask the other guard, which path would he say leads to paradise?"

then you take the opposite path.

if you ask the truth telling guard, he is going to tell you that the liar will point to death because the liar won't tell the truth
if you ask the lying guard he is going to tell you the truth teller will point to death because the lying guard is lying.

now let me hitch up my manthong and get back to work.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
you can ask one question and you ask the guard on the left if he is on the left?
so he says yes or no, you still don't know paradise or death.

Darn! I thought I had it. :bnghd:

You're absolutely right.

All I know is the correct "Left" path for God's sake!

Okay, back to square one.

At least I did find out which one was the liar.

But since I can't ask another question, I guess I'll just hang around with the guards, telling ridiculous jokes.

I am beginning to think I was right in my earlier post about this, though...

Unless the OP is seriously twisted.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Crakeur has the right answer...

I have a riddle if you wanna hear it:

2 father's and 2 son's walk into a shop, each buy an item for 1 pound, they give the shopkeeper 3 pound, why does he accept it and what happened to the other pound???

[edit on 7-2-2007 by chris01621]

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur

now let me hitch up my manthong and get back to work.

You just had to bring that man-thong in here didn't you

Heave ho, Heave ho, it's off to work you go...da da da da...da da da da...heave ho, heave ho, heave ho, heave ho!!

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Has no one here seen Laberynth??

It's the movie where David Bowie dances awkwardly close to a very young girl and her baby brother with his giant codpiece boncing around in front of them. It disturbed me for days.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by chris01621
Crakeur has the right answer...

I have a riddle if you wanna hear it:

2 father's and 2 son's walk into a shop, each buy an item for 1 pound, they give the shopkeeper 3 pound, why does he accept it and what happened to the other pound???

We have a similar one like that here in the Colonies.
But I have forgotten most of it...

okay this one is different then the one I was thinking about.

There are only three males: son, father and grand father.

son and father = one son and father pair. Father and Grandfather = second son and father pair. w00t!

therefore only three items purchased @ 1 pound each !

at least I DO have this one.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Yep,got it in one.
Has anyone played mindtrap, it's a question game with thousands of riddles.
If you want some just say.
But I won't Hijack this thread unless you ask

[edit on 7-2-2007 by chris01621]

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Dude walks into a hardware store and buys 6 for a dollar, 45 for two dollars, 568 for three bucks, and 7945 for four dollars.

He has a purple shirt and his belt says "Made in Texas"

His lips are chapped

What is he buying.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
the original riddle was solved so I would say it is safe to add new ones.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
@ Rasobasi,

numbers.

The kind that go on your mailbox, or front of house.

and the chapped lips, belt and shirt are only a distraction.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
While waiting for confirmation on Raso's

I will give an example of what I have in mindtrap.

What is one thing that all wise men, regardless of thier religion or politics, agree is between heaven and earth?

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by jensouth31
You just had to bring that man-thong in here didn't you

it managed to bring you and your thong out in the open, as it were, so bully for me.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by chris01621What is one thing that all wise men, regardless of thier religion or politics, agree is between heaven and earth?

and

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Good work Mech,

I figured I'd add the distractions because in type the riddle is easier than when spoken. People don't normally think about the number of digits when they listen to a number.

Carry on

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join