It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The rising number of horror movies in the US?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
After doing a small search I don't think anybody has discussed this topic yet(or a least not much anyway).
I'm not sure if this is happening in other countries as well,but in the US the number of horror movies Hollywood is making seems to be really common nowadays.
I kinda remember in the 1990s that there were a LOT of disney movies,now there are LOTS of horror movies.

So say this is a "scary" conspiracy,is it meant to scare little kids & show more negativity to everybody else(doesn't matter what age)& to make people fear the wrong things?

Any comments?Is this common elsewhere as well?

[edit on 6-2-2007 by tormentor]

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   
IMO horror has always been a popular genr ..look at the 70's Amityville,The excorcist and omen
80's The poltergeist films etc guess it's cyclical.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Maybe it's just because they sell and people enjoy them? They do make them for the money.

And I'd imagine kids wouldn't be seeing them anyway since they are rated R and the theaters wouldn't let them in.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Hmmm interesting comments!
Also IMO the horror movies of today aren't as scary as the older movies,and yet Hollywood is still producing them.
Do the horror movies of today seem THAT scary?Or do they seem quite dumb?

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   
have you looked at imdb.com and there 100 worst rated films ever, an awful lot of the worst came in 2006, cannot remember how many came near the bottom.

hollywood just throws out so much trash these days. i try never to watch films with to much special effects, i.e made after 2000. they just do not entertain me.

horrors are a good example of the rubbish they bring out, people just want to see more and more gore, no ones frightened of anything anymore because of all the deconditioning.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
have you looked at imdb.com and there 100 worst rated films ever, an awful lot of the worst came in 2006, cannot remember how many came near the bottom.

Hmmm NOW I got a feeling they're trying to make us dumb,REALLY,REALLY dumb.Is this common in other movie genres as well?
I think this "dumbing" conspiracy seems to be working on the masses,but luckily not everybody is affected.

[edit on 19-4-2007 by Crakeur]

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   
horror films tend to come in bunches. Back in the 80's the slasher flicks were a big part of the annual releases thanks in lrge part to John Carpenter and Halloween and then Friday the 13th, Elm St. etc. Then the horror genre seemed to lose steam. It was resurrected with Scream and I Know What You Did.... These led to an increase in horror films that were more plot driven and "intellectual" than pure slasher.

Just when it looked like the genre was losing steam again Saw, The Ring and a few other movies popped up. The gore content was raised and the slasher flicks have come back in full force.

It should be noted that there is always a flurry of films in a genre that is pushing the envelope. Added gore, extra nudity, etc.

Back in the 70's you saw this with Groove Tube and Kentucky Fried Movie and the many attempts to capture the insanity these two films produced.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
horror films tend to come in bunches.

Just when it looked like the genre was losing steam again Saw, The Ring and a few other movies popped up. The gore content was raised and the slasher flicks have come back in full force.

Hmmm it's like they want to keep the horror conspiracy going(if this really is a conspiracy).It's like they're REALLY trying to scare the masses don't you think?
Or they really need some $$$.

[edit on 19-4-2007 by Crakeur]

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   
IMO its just sick. And this fascination with serial killers and making movies about their lives is even sicker! I don't want to know how Mr. Serial Killer thinks and why he kills kids that break down in the middle of nowhere for no reason.Thats what makes me different from him! He is a sick puppy with a twisted and demented way of thinking and I am not interested. Its almost like they are making serial killers look cool. I guess in the end its just personal preference.That being said its just not my cup of tea.Id rather laugh at a comedy than look at someones guts and brains being slung everywhere.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by tormentorHmmm it's like they want to keep the horror conspiracy going(if this really is a conspiracy).It's like they're REALLY trying to scare the masses don't you think?
Or they really need some $$$.

horror films are, generally, less expensive to make than traditional films. cheaper actors, no fancy location shoots etc. Less cost, easier to make back your money.

the reason horror films are made is to make money. the reason more are being made now than in the past is because the public keeps paying to see them.

there were periods where musicals were big money makers so there was always one or two musicals available in the theaters. then they stopped paying to see them so the musicals stopped getting made. Suddenly, they're being made again. Why? Money money money

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Hmm does Hollywood need THAT much money,if so then why?
Sheesh i think i going off topic in my own thread.

Anybody here outside of the US?Do you guys/gals see more horror movies as well?

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 04:21 PM
link   
movie studios are in it for the money. they, like most companies, put out a product or provide a service, for the purpose of making profits which, in turn, lines their shareholders pockets with money.

no conspiracy here, unless making money is a conspiracy.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
movie studios are in it for the money. they, like most companies, put out a product or provide a service, for the purpose of making profits which, in turn, lines their shareholders pockets with money.

no conspiracy here, unless making money is a conspiracy.

Making TOO much money for a harmful purpose can be a conspiracy,wait could Hollywood be using the money they made to fund someone or some group?If so then what group?We must find out somehow!

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by tormentor
Hmm does Hollywood need THAT much money,if so then why?
Sheesh i think i going off topic in my own thread.

Anybody here outside of the US?Do you guys/gals see more horror movies as well?

i try to not bother watching films made after 2000/2001. just look at the ratings for movies made nowadys and you see why. there is plenty of old films to keep me going, and occasionally on sky movies you may see a good movie that is not generally well known.

if your looking for a conspiracy maybe they try to play on the fear on todays world, i.e after 911.

[edit on 2/6/2007 by andy1033]

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Horror is one of the biggest movie genres there is. I am a big horror movie buff. I love em'. There are some of them though, I don't think kids should be exposed to. Although,I was exposed to them at a relatively young age and I turned out fairly decent,I suppose.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I hate to ruin your theory but the major movie studios are global corporations with stockholders that want to see profits. They need to make money to justify their own high salaries and they need their high salaries to pay for their lavish lifestyles.

I know it would be fun/interesting if the truth was they were making all this money so they could secretly be funding the alien exchange program but the truth is, shareholders want results (profits) and that, and that alone, is why they make movies.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   
ohh seriously stop this over paranoid christian anti violence crap. fact is tons of people like horror movies. i hate how people are like "oh what the companies doing to the kids" when the fact is that PARENTS AND NOBODY ELSE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR CHILDS WELL BEING.

nobody wants to watch punk @$$ disney flicks all day. everyone needs to grow some backbone. that's why we're raising a generation of fat punk kids who don't know how to fight, and have to run to a teacher or parent every time someone picks on them, or they have a problem.

kids need to learn to be tougher, you can't walk through life being a wimp.
whos foolish idea was it to stop smacking our kids around a bit anyway?
i'm not saying go child abuse on them, but these parents that are like "oh i never hit my kids" are idiots..cause those kids are the ones who grow up to be the ignorant paris hiltons of the world.

i'm tired of people whining and saying our society is to violent and our kids are learning trash. nobody is responsible for your kid. i do not care about your kid. i do not care about anybodys kid. if your little punk sees someone get shot, it's not my problem. i could care less if he's learning right from wrong, as long as he stays the he|| away from me.

i love horror movies and i'm happy there's a new group of people who are making them. if you are seriously so warped as to think that horror movies are somehow crippling the moral fabric of our society then you might need to do some research on the word, paranoid.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruthI am a big horror movie buff. I love em'.

check out The Sentinel from the 70's or 80's. Creepy as hell.

I watched way too many of the slasher flicks and horror films when I was a kid too. I spit on your grave, texas chainsaw, dawn of the dead, halloweens, Friday 13th etc. I'm normal as hell.

and a serial killer.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I don't see an increase in the number of modern horror movies. In fact, there were more horror movies produced annually back in the late 1950s and 1960s than there are today. I mean, there were giant insects and giant tarantulas and gila monsters and extraterrestrial space horror and ghosts and ghouls and mad scientists and brain transplants coming out of the woodwork back then.

Aside from the American B-movie horror factory, Hammer Films out of Pinewood Studios in England pretty much inundated the world with true bloody horror flicks from the 50s through the 70s. With blood-sucking vampires and undead monsters and amputations and gore-dripping zombies, Hammer films horror was on the upper-end of what the public would accept.

When horror crossed the line into what the general public wouldn't accept was with the release of Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho (1960), which wasn't rated (this was before the rating system), but it scared the hockey out of people. Viewers were having heart attacks right there in the theatre. That set the stage for other psycho-horrors, such as "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?" and "Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte" (and, yes, that was horror). No ugly white woman could ever scare you like Betty Davis, man. The 60s were full of horror.

And what would 1960s horror be without George Romero's "Night of the Living Dead"?

Between the violence and language and horror of the 1960s, the movie rating system was born, if that tells you anything. Just in time for the 1970s, when B-movie teen/slasher/horror flicks enjoyed a second coming. Spielberg scored his first blockbuster in the 1970s with the monster movie "Jaws"... And does "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" ring a bell? Of course, "The Exorcist" not only caused heart attacks, but was even sued for being TOO horrifying. And it was, man... Nobody had ever seen anything like that. People poopin' in their pants, drippin' down their legs as they left the theatre.

Today, we don't even have "horror" movies. We have REMAKES of 60s and 70s horror films, with predictable, formula plotlines, little peekaboo shock moments, 5 teenagers going in and 1 coming out, and phoney baloney CGI (when they can afford it). When was the last time that you even felt nervous watching a modern "horror" movie? Modern horror quality sucks, and I don't believe the quantity of so-called "horror films" is increasing, either.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 2/6/2007 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I'll try to look into how Hollywood really works,sooner or later.
Anyways thanks for the comments,now my mind is really starting to open,and now i'm seeing some interesting connections here.
Yikes now i'm really going off topic.

interesting comment Doc.
I guess horror movies just won't die,whether they're good or bad and some of the modern horror movie aren't that scary,like Doc said,yet Hollywood is still producing them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join