It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rev. Ted Haggard now 'completely heterosexual'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Isn't it sad in this day and age where people have to publicly announce that they've "cured" their sexual preference, as if homosexuality is treated like a disease?

I hope Christian extremists don't use his claim as a means of ridiculing the gay community even more as "proof" that homosexuality can be changed.

[edit on 6-2-2007 by DJMessiah]

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
Well at least he's not claiming the good lord healed him of this terrible affliction.

You laugh, but "anything" is possible. Truly! I am a believer in miracles. But is this a miracle? Hmmmm....I don't think that's the case here. I think this is about saving face and living in denial. But hey, if he wants to make a go at heterosexuality all the power to him. I'm not in his shoes. I can't read his thoughts.

But, I feel this is more a case of,
"I"M NOT GAY! Okay people?? Don't look at me weird. I repeat I'm not gay. I'm straight. I love the p***y."

I have a very Catholic sister who a couple years back caught her Jewish husband having an affair on her with an old, black, male transvestite. They had been seeing eachother for about a year at this persons apartment. My brother-in-law claims he's not gay, he was just experimenting with fantasies (with another guy). As a gay man myself, it is very hard for me to comprehend having fantasies about women at all. I never had that, ever. Nor do I want to "experiment with fantasies" there. For me it's guys and nothing else. I can't speak for everyone else. Bisexuality, what's that? Not something I can relate to or understand...so I can't say for sure...but personally, I've always had a sneaking suspicion that bisexuality is nothing more than a gay man who will not under any circumstance admit that he's gay.........the stigma.....and once you're out, it's kinda hard to go back in. I've encountered straight, married men who were "very gay" when you were alone with them........and I've also encountered "so-called" straight men who all through their marriage slept with men and "finally" left there wives admitting they were gay after 20-25-30 years.

Ahhh, but can people change???? Yes, they can.
I'm gay and I chose celibacy (since 2002). "My choice".

And it's not killing me. LOL! Anything in life is possible. Going from gay to straight — Who knows? It's not me at all. But, just because the majority can't achieve something, doesn't mean the minority can't.

But Haggard..............."I'M NOT GAY! I swear. I like boobs!"

[edit on 7-2-2007 by rocknroll]

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
It greatly concerns me that there are so many Christians who will "forgive" him for his "errors" - - and continue in their worship - - and believe God answered their prayers.

What's even more amazing is these same Christians love to bash Catholic priests for their sexual "skeletons in the closet". Sounds like a "christian" double standard.........
"We're forgiving our guys, but not yours...............perverts."

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by rocknroll
I think this is about saving face and living in denial.

.... and income. Dont forget the income. He has to be able to make money at his 'trade' .. which is born again christian evangelist. As far as I know, you can't do that while breaking the law from Romans (bible stuff).

Saving face.
Denial.
Money.

I don't think it' possible at all to lock someone in a room and scream at them for 3 weeks and have them REALLY change their nature.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   
This was a Travesty to the Kingdom of God. But there is always forgiveness when forgiveness is strived for. I am not sure as to whether he is Gay or Straight. I personally do not believe that you can be born into this world gay. I do believe however that upon arriving in this world things may take place to you that aren't always under your control. Especially whenever a child in brought into this world. His/her parents do things that may not be the right thing for a child changing thier lifes indefinately. Or possibly untill god gets a hold of thier lifes later on. Romans 3:23 Says For ALL have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. I am no saint by any means I have to literally ask for forgiveness everyday for things that satan temps me with that I fail at looking to god for the answers. But I think there is something about this verse that we don't see ... such as maybe are Gentic Make Up is already set for failure, because of all of the drugs/medicines, Gases, Pollutants, Flouride, and other 500 chemicals that we are putting into our water resources. Not to mention the environment around us crumbling. I still think that thier are particles that we cannot see but we think that we have learned all about them ... Although we cannot even Fathom these smaller particles. But what do I know ... I am for sure no Scientist ... by any means ... Anyways ...

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Quick hide your daughters.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by MauiStacey
Phhhhhhhhhhhhhhhht Yeah Right

Well, ok if you wanna drag me into this...

So the guy's cured? I could've cured him with a week of bass fishing and some Russ Meyer movies. Maybe I could start a franchise.

People who buy into this claptrap will forego all logic and common sense to avoid the cognitive dissonance associated with actually admitting maybe they've been wrong. The supporters of Haggard are no different than the supporters of [insert name of discredited party here]. We see that played out in these forums across all topics pretty frequently, do we not? I don't blame him. I don't blame them. It's just the deal. Best we can do is not be one of them.

Same as it ever was.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 10:21 AM
link   
That is very well put .. and I totally agree with this ... You should never Try to be anything .. But yourself and who you are in God. When you start trying to be someone you are not ... Here comes trouble ... or whenever you start trying to make yourself happy instead of living life like God taught us to ... After his heart then you are in trouble as well ...

Originally posted by yeahright

Originally posted by MauiStacey
Phhhhhhhhhhhhhhhht Yeah Right

Well, ok if you wanna drag me into this...

So the guy's cured? I could've cured him with a week of bass fishing and some Russ Meyer movies. Maybe I could start a franchise.

People who buy into this claptrap will forego all logic and common sense to avoid the cognitive dissonance associated with actually admitting maybe they've been wrong. The supporters of Haggard are no different than the supporters of [insert name of discredited party here]. We see that played out in these forums across all topics pretty frequently, do we not? I don't blame him. I don't blame them. It's just the deal. Best we can do is not be one of them.

Same as it ever was.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 11:10 AM
link   
A homosexual preacher is the only thing can that can empty more church pews than a case of bad gas. The New Millennium Mega-Church is about 30% salvation, and 70% revenue stream...once again, just follow the money...the man's got a job to do.

Peace &
Good Fortune
OBE1

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Sheesh, he's even going to become a psychology quack, saving people from 'Teh Gay' by 'psychological' methods I s'pose...

In the message, Haggard revealed that he and his wife, Gayle, intend to leave Colorado Springs and pursue master's degrees through online courses.

Haggard mentioned Missouri and Iowa as possible destinations. Another oversight board member, the Rev. Mike Ware of Westminster, said the group recommended the move out of town, and the Haggards agreed.

What has been termed Haggard's "restoration" is being overseen by another panel: H.B. London, who runs a Focus on the Family ministry to pastors, and megachurch pastors Tommy Barnett and Jack Hayford.

London said he was not surprised Haggard was considering the psychological field.

"Many of us that go into the healing, helping professions do so out of some sort of dysfunction or traumatic event in our lives, and we want to do what we can to help other people avoid what we've gone through," he said. "He is certainly gifted and intelligent and has an intuitive side to him. And he has life experience. Those are good credentials."

www.denverpost.com...

Just what we need, another quack with a degree-mill qualification, he'll probably achieve that in 30 days as well...

[edit on 7-2-2007 by melatonin]

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by melatonin
... and pursue master's degrees through online courses.
.... a degree-mill qualification,

Some online degrees are just fine. Others are degree-mills. You brought up an interesting point. I wonder where his online degree will be from. Wonder if Liberty will take him?

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Haggard mentioned Missouri and Iowa as possible destinations. Another oversight board member, the Rev. Mike Ware of Westminster, said the group recommended the move out of town, and the Haggards agreed.

www.denverpost.com...

Why the move to Missouri or Iowa? Could it be that those states have far less gay people (or at least out gay people)?

If you want to prove to me that you are "cured" of homosexuality, come and live a year in Dupont Circle, DC. If you don't stray, then I'd say you're cured. Fat chance. There have been sightings of these so-called ex-gay "cured" men at the bars in my neighborhood. There's a famous one (I think he is the starter of one of these places). He was caught and photographed at a gay bar. He said that he was there doing research. Anyway, back to Haggart.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff
If you want to prove to me that you are "cured" of homosexuality, come and live a year in Dupont Circle, DC. If you don't stray, then I'd say you're cured. Fat chance.

LOL! There you go.
Now that's a test.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by wellwhatnow
He has to say he is "completely heterosexual," otherwise the church couldn't keep up the spin about homosexuality being a choice.

oh THAT'S logical....

i had free choice left alone in the garden...and I DID make a decision...but it was more like a 80%-20% choice. if i had waited for a majority ruling on either side well....i'd still be there vacillating. (i'm a libra)

why can't anyone just say:
hey i did it
i'm not sure if it was because i am or not
it was okay
i'm not sure if it will happen again
that's all i know right now

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38
hey i did it
it was okay......

Because to the evangelical Christian it's not okay....it's a big No-No. (actually to mostly all Christians it's not okay)
Try and keep in mind Christians use the New Testament and the NT condemns homosexual behavior. What is hard to understand here?
If you follow Christianity by the book, you don't have homosexual relations, and anyone who preaches from the pulpit and engages in homosexual activity is viewed as a "hypocrite". Haggard has attached a stigma to himself that he will never shake.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   
You know as much as god hates sin ... he loves the person anyway ... Funny that we ask so many questions about God .. But cannot possibly understand this ... Are minds can't comprehend ... har far east is from the west ... ... Because we see them as directions although god sees the whole picture ..

Originally posted by queenannie38
hey i did it
it was okay......

Because to the evangelical Christian it's not okay....it's a big No-No. (actually to mostly all Christians it's not okay)
Try and keep in mind Christians use the New Testament and the NT condemns homosexual behavior. What is hard to understand here?
If you follow Christianity by the book, you don't have homosexual relations, and anyone who preaches from the pulpit and engages in homosexual activity is viewed as a "hypocrite". Haggard has attached a stigma to himself that he will never shake.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   
He's not "cured" and he's barely gone through Straightening boot camp.

I underwent at least a year's worth of religious whackos trying to turn me straight and it didn't do a damn bit of good. They tried everything they could think of an even came up with a few new ones. None of it worked though, not while I lived in a dorm with 15 other guys, 4 to a room minimum lol

I just never saw a need to change who I am to please other people, 90% of whom I didn't like.

However, I wouldn't go around telling people I'm straight if I was in a position like Haggard (Haggard the Horrible lol). I do tell people I'm straight but thats due to people's usual ignorance and my laziness in not wanting to get into it with them.

But lets not forget that Haggard isn't really Christian, he worships Mammon like most of these mega-church leaders. As far as I know Mammon doesn't mind if you're gay.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   

If you follow Christianity by the book, you don't have homosexual relations

Among other places, Romans has it specified very strongly.

Haggard has attached a stigma to himself that he will never shake.

He probably doesn't want to shake it. He now has a new marketing ploy. He and his wife will be psychologist/ministers who will save gay people by telling them how to go straight. I predict lots of books, videos, and CDs being sold. I also predict that Harrard is NOT 'completley heterosexual'... and that he probably is still bi-sexual .. and that he will have more than one 'backslide' into homosexual behaviors.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
He probably doesn't want to shake it. He now has a new marketing ploy. He and his wife will be psychologist/ministers who will save gay people by telling them how to go straight. I predict lots of books, videos, and CDs being sold. I also predict that Harrard is NOT 'completley heterosexual'... and that he probably is still bi-sexual .. and that he will have more than one 'backslide' into homosexual behaviors.

I whole-heartedly agree. Although in his position, I think he'd like to shake it, hence, "I'm heterosexual now." But, you're right, he'll use this as a ploy for a way to gain income like you said. His chances of backsliding are high. I myself am celibate gay, and it's difficult sometimes, because I possess "human nature" so the tug and pull will always be there. I haven't backslid since I decided on celibacy. My secret has always been in the "Our Father"........."and lead us not into temptation". I avoid situations that will cause me to weaken. Will Haggard do this? Is he strong enough? We'll see.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I'm not trying to start an argument, but if you're celibate and gay, then you're still gay you just don't act on it.

Which I suppose is a personal choice although I don't see how I could go through life completely denying myself some fundamental human urge.

I dunno, I'm having trouble writing eloquently today, too much going on in my life.

I just don't think it's right to feel like you're bad and doing something wrong just because some self righteous people said that you are. I think you should just be yourself and be who you are in your heart and be happy. God made all of us just the way he wants us, it even says so in the Bible "even the hairs on your head are numbered."

If God made one or two of us gay then He must've had a reason, who are we to question the Creator?

I guess its still a personal decision but when I had thought of "turning straight" it just didn't seem like God was the one that wanted me to do it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join