It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clouds Keep Mars Warm After Dark

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Nighttime clouds detected for the first time on Mars help to keep the planet’s surface warm after sunset when temperatures drop, a new study suggests.

The nocturnal clouds are five times thicker than their daytime counterparts and hover close to the ground, almost like a fog.

Previous studies have detected daytime clouds on Mars as high as 62 miles (100 km) above the surface, making them the highest flying clouds ever detected on any planet.

Nighttime clouds on Mars are predicted from computer models, but none had been directly observed until now.
The researchers discovered the stealthy clouds after investigating a temperature anomaly that occurs on the Martian surface at night picked up by the now-lost Mars Global Surveyor (MGS).

The measurements showed that the parts of the planet’s surface blanketed by clouds at night were warmer by about 35 degrees Fahrenheit than those that were exposed and unprotected by clouds.

SOURCE:
Space.com

A very intriguing finding about the red planet.

I wonder, if Mars was still a wet life bearing planet, if most life on
it would have developed around a nocturnal cycle, as it would have
been warmer during the night.

I wonder to how this can help future colonization of Mars, it may
be that when they go out to do science, they may do it at night.

Comments, Opinions?

[edit on 2/6/2007 by iori_komei]

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Very interesting.

What do the clouds on Mars consist of, water vapor or some gas in liquid form?

I was watching the movie Red Planet not too long ago and they showed clouds. I thought that it was due to the SFX people not removing them in post-production. Maybe they knew clouds were possible on the red planet, I've just never heard of them or thought they could exist.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   
since we first saw the pictures from those two rovers, with the "berries", "wet tracks" and "the bunny" which I actually think is a crusteacean type creature, oh and yeah the rocks that looks like artifacts, oh and the "ufo", I'm pretty sure that we are not being given the full information on the conditions of Mars. Eventually, probably within the next 10 years, we'll be told that there is some sort of Martian vegetation and simple life forms on the planet.

I just read what I wrote and I'm sure I sound crazy, but take a look at all the individual instances and you might end up at the same conclusion as me

Edn

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Well clouds generally keep things warmer don't they.

We know for a fact that almost the entire planet is covered in water under the surface and ice water on the surface. We also know (or are fairly sure) that the water is likely to be very acidic, which does pose a problem because we have no idea if life can be created from an acidic environment, what we do know is life can adapt to an acidic environment.

This is all from my memory after watching The Sky at Night on BBC4 last night btw, if any of you want to see it.

worldwatcher there definitely no vegetation on the Mars surface, its just rock, dust, ice and the occasional flow of water, you can confirm this your self or if you wont believe anything anyone else gives you send your own satellite.

scooler1 it is believed that the clouds are probably made up of water ice and other clouds are likely to be made up of other stuff as well.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   
your idea isnt that crazy worldwatcher i also think that heir may be simple lifeforms; fossils and vegetation on mars but i also beleive that their was an intelligent species once on mars which left behind ruins like the martian cities cithonia and tithonia and aslo i beleive the face on mars and pyramids were conscructed by this past intelligent civilisation

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Nighttime clouds detected for the first time on Mars help to keep the planet’s surface warm after sunset when temperatures drop, a new study suggests.

Why does no one call NASA out on their horse crap. We've been spinnin' things around that planet for thirty years and we just noticed these clouds now?
If I had a friend at JPL and he told me all excitedly that they just found thick nighttime clouds on Mars I'd smack the stupid out of him.

There is no other place on earth where this type of stupidity is acceptable.
"This just in, Mars is red. Oh, and it slipped our minds before, but we forget to mention that the atmosphere is breathable. We didn't think it was that important. Some people forget their keys, we forget this. That's what we do now."
NASA stinks and I don't like them

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sunsetspawn
Why does no one call NASA out on their horse crap. We've been spinnin' things around that planet for thirty years and we just noticed these clouds now?

We're not just noticing clouds, we're just now seeing physically that
the coud cover is thicker at night than in the day time.

They've pretty much know it through theory up til now, this is more
or less just saying, yeah we we're right, we have the physical proof.

jra

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sunsetspawn

No, it has been known that there are thin clouds on Mars for quite some time. Like Iori said, it's the night time clouds that were discovered to be thicker, than the day time clouds. That is what's being talked about here.

Edn

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Actually NASA have been photographing clouds on Mars for years. The source is wrong when they say its the first time.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 10:31 PM
link   
The average temperature on Mars is -81 Fahrenheit. Add a thick layer of clouds at night (35 degrees), that means an average temperature on a cloudy night on Mars is -46 Fahrenheit. That's pretty cold.

jra

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Edn
Actually NASA have been photographing clouds on Mars for years. The source is wrong when they say its the first time.

But the source never it was the first time NASA imaged clouds. They just said it was the first time that they detected that the clouds are thicker at night, that's all.

apc

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 11:10 PM
link   
No wonder they haven't found anything yet.

Who decides the points of interest for these things?!

new topics

top topics

join