It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heat Releasing Toxins?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I have heard that heating mayo will release toxins into your food. Does Ranch Dressing contain any of the same properties as mayo (seeing as how people make their own using mayo) and if so, does this release toxins into the food as well? And just how harmful is the toxins released in the mayo anyway?

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Mayo will spoil if left in the heat for too long, but i don't think any kinds of toxins are released.

Peace

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   
The only toxin I can think of is salmonella from the eggs if you make your own at home.
I don't see any reason you can't put some mayonnaise on a sandwich and toss it in the microwave to warm it up.
The danger comes from leaving a potato salad out for a number of hours in a salad bar that isn't properly chilled, or egg salad sandwiches left for a long time without refrigeration.

And even in those two cases the bacteria that grows is something that was on the cooks hands or the surfaces it was prepared on.
That jar of Kraft or Hellman's you buy at the grocer won't pose any danger that I know of.

If you do make your own at home, keep it chilled, and use it within a few days.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Funny, a long time ago I was "informed" (or as it seems in this case, disinformed) that heating mayo caused it to relase toxins into food. I was worried cause I make a Ranch Chicken that I bake with Ranch Dressing and was afraid it might contain the same ingredient that released toxins when heated.

So I guess this isn't the case. Thanks for the help.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Some mayonnaise is made from rape oil, (they put canola on the label).

I found a reference that it's a toxic oil.

Check this site out.

www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com...

EDIT: I also just ran to the kitchen to check a few labels and found these.

I found 6 items with canola on the front shelf of the fridge and the counter beside it.
I hope it's not too toxic or I'll be dead soon... :shk:

[edit on 8/2/2007 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Thanks for the link, that is a very informative website. Once I go over all the info, I'll get back to you. I didn't know this about Canola, I always assumed Canola was the good oil...isn't that what we are taught???

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Well, if you cook with flaxseed (linseed) oil it creates toxins. You're supposed to add it to food after cooking.

Not the same thing, but it's something to remember,

peace

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Thanks for the tip, always glad to learn about toxic foods. I don't typically cook with that, but I keep that in mind.

new topics

top topics

join