It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What software cant you do without?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   
There are a large number of programs (mostly free) that i just couldnt do without, they play such a big role in my computer usage and are basically just fantastic.
so, what software cant you live without? what would you recommend every single person should have?

Here are some of mine:

Audacity: It's a free, open source software for recording and editing sounds. Available for most operating systems.

eEye Digital Security's Blink®: Host Intrusion Prevention and Anti-Virus for windows.

CCleaner: System cleaner/optimizer/privacy tool.

Core Force: Another Host Intrusion Prevention System. Community Orientated.

Foobar2000: A minimalist media player, uses very little memory and is customizable and fully scriptable to allow almost infinate extensibility.

GIMP: Pretty much everything that photoshop is, but free and much faster.

East-Tec Eraser: Great for removing sensitive information.

Windows Live Messenger: Pretty generic instant messenger service.

Angry IP Scanner: Brilliant IP and Port Scanner.

K-Lite Mega Codec Pack: Every single media codec you will ever need.

Launchy: A very easy way to launch almost any application with only a few keystrokes, the most time saving, useful program ever.

Media Player Classic: Probably my favourite media player.

Notepad2: Windows notepad except a million times better. "small, fast and free text editor with syntax highlighting for HTML and other common languages."

Opera Web Browser: Hands down the greatest web browser ever, far superior and faster to the insecure IE and the bloated unstable memory leaking mess that is Firefox.

Osiris: Host Integrity Monitoring System.

PuTTY: A Free Telnet/SSH Client, supports most forms of encryption.

SmartFTP: My favourite FTP client with a huge array of useful features.

Spybot Search and Destroy: Probably the best tool for keeping on top of nasty spyware/adware etc.

SSL Explorer: "fully-featured, web-based SSL VPN server. This practicable remote access security solution includes SSL tunneling, intranet website proxying, access to multiple file systems and application launching/tunneling through a standard browser"

Thunderbird: The Best email client available.

User Mode Single Stepping: Single Stepping tool for windows binaries, excellent for debugging.

uTorrent: The smallest, fastest, most reliable fully featured bittorrent client i have ever used.

Wireshark: Network Protocol Analyzer.

IDA Pro: Great Disassembler & Debugger

Google Earth: "satellite imagery, maps, terrain and 3D buildings"

mIRC: IRC Client.

Nero Burning Rom: CD/DVD/Image Burning Suite.

MS Office: Easily the best office suite available.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   
this seems like a blatant copy of my thread.

Link

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 08:38 AM
link   
the only bit of software i can't do with out is my internet browser

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Autodesk Maya

adobe Photoshop, Illustrator

MSN Messenger

Text edit

and Word though I hate it

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 01:21 PM
link   
these days with all the virii and losers

ZoneLabs Zone Alarm - Security Suite.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Paint Shop Pro 7

and

Agent Newsreader

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Adobe photoshop, dreamweaver MX flash MX, Swish,, adobe after effects.
i think thats all. but probly not.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beer_Guy
Paint Shop Pro 7

and

Agent Newsreader

That's interesting that you like PSP 7. They changed it substantially after version 5 or 6 and I can not figure out how to make certain features work in PSP 7.

For instance I'm trying to use the flood color control and I keep getting gradients. It used to be you could hold down control and click on a color, then pick 'solid, gradient, pattern' in a control box. But now that doesn't exist.

Thus I've been using version 5.01. I purchased the software when the company first started - it's a great tool.

I also use Agent newsreader, but I had to go back to an earlier version as they also substantially changed version 5 and it's hard to find features, like 'subscribe'. What ver are you using?

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   
OK, I'll post a link of software that I like a lot, many of them are small utilities and portable (they don't install in the registry of Windows).

Convert: It's a nice little freebie converter for units, force, power, distance.

DAB calendar - it's a small, fast, free desktop calendar, but it's no longer supported. Search for Derek A. Benner software. It only shows the date, but sometimes that's all you want.

PeerGuardian2: IP blocker. Nice if you do any torrents. Much improved over version 1, which was a memory hog. Found at SourceForge.net..., a great place for open source and usually free software.

Magic: Magic - email checker - checks email on the server and allows pruning of spam before you even download it.

StartCop - old PC magazine utility. Hard to find, but similar to Msconfig - checks what's in your startup folder and other places on boot and allows disabling them. Clever searching can probably find a copy, but I think you have to be registered with PCMagazine to download their utilities now.

PowerDesk Explorer - It's -the- best file manager ever. There's a pro version available, but you can try out a fee version that's older. Unfortunately that one comes with an adbar. Pdesk4free.
Also found another version 5.0 that appears to be free. Pdesk5free As with many of these, I like version 5 the best (I paid for mine, so it has no adbar). Version 6 is just too 'glitzy' for my tastes.

Trillian IM Client - It used to be very good, version 2.0. But they messed up some features in version 3.x. It's an IM messenger that allows you to use multiple messengers like AIM, ICQ, Yahoo, and others all in one interface. It's not free, though they have a freeware version. (Caution: the Yahoo IM client in Trillian 2.x has a known vulnerability. Do not use if you use Yahoo. Research this on the web before using at all.)

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with any of these, nor do I assume any accountability if they mess up your system. Use at own risk.

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 01:46 AM
link   
AIM
Audacity
AVG Free Edition
Azureus
Fraps
mIRC
Ventrilo
VirtualDub
Winamp

Great programs
Must always have them.

[edit on 17-3-2007 by CidCaldensfey]

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Excell is an absolute must for me, I have to have it. Other than that it would have to be Photoshop Elements.

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Azureus, Skype, Safari, Adobe Photoshop, Mac The Ripper, Jomic, Windows Live Messenger, iTunes.

Thats really all I need.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by carcharodon
Autodesk Maya

adobe Photoshop, Illustrator

MSN Messenger

Text edit

and Word though I hate it

I hate Word.

LimeWire Pro (got it for free, don't ask how) is awesome.

iTunes (paired with LimeWire is frickin' awesome)

HandBrake (DVD ripper/ dvd to mp4 converter)

GarageBand

Audacity

iMovie HD

Help (still getting acclimated to Mac OS X)

Unrelated:

My favorite hardware would have to be my USB BlueTooth Device, and my Airport Wireless card.

THR

[edit: added a whole bunch more software titles]

[edit on 3/22/2007 by TheRanchMan]

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   

an OS

new topics

top topics

join