It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Pro-bono lawyers that organize Charities?

page: 1

log in


posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 12:56 PM
I know someone that is working with some people trying to start a not for profit charity. These people are just regular folks trying to do something good. They have contacts in South Africa that already do charity work for the children of that nation, and want to start a non-profit to raise money for it and help expand its work there. They are also trying to raise money for work to help people stop abuse in the sex industry in cambodia.

They've contacted a lawyer, who requires $5,000 just to fill out the paperwork to form a non-profit.

Surely there are people or organizations that will help startup charities?

Does anyone know anyone that does this kind of work? Or who has heard about groups that will help with the legal paperwork?

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 03:59 PM
Many high-powered firms do pro bono work as training for the new associates, and to garner good PR. I would start there. They are also the most financially able to afford pro bono work.

You might also ask other non-profits for leads.

[edit on 6-2-2007 by jsobecky]

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 12:05 AM
Hardly anyone wants to do charity work for someone else's charity work these days, it seems.

But i am going to be doing something myself coming up...and what i don't know i find out how and do it.

i'd help them if they are willing. i'm sure they have at least the money to file, right? All it takes is the proper form and the right volume of the local laws in that area - someone willing to pay attention and be careful.

Are they in the US?

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 12:45 AM
The people making the charity are in the US, yes. How much is the filing fee?

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 01:25 AM
This site allows you to select a state and type of incorpoartion you want, and gives you fees, time, etc.:

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 04:33 AM
Where do they plan to build their main office or head quarters? In the U.S.?

They can actually incorporate somewhere else where there is more privilages for the companies. After incorporating say like in UK BVI, it can open an entity to any country of their own choosing.

I find it easier to incorporate a company in British Virgin Island (UK BVI) , it will only take 2 weeks or so for less than 2k USD. And internationally recognized.

One of the advantage here is that BVI companies require no audit. No tax in UK as well.

But since this is an NGO, there should be less tax issues here.

[edit on 7-2-2007 by searching_for_truth]

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 06:29 AM
I've incorporated companies in the past and it is pretty easy to do, but it's going to get a little complicated if they are forming a 501c3.

I would suggest contacting law schools in the area. Many schools will have a pro bono program where the students do this kind of thing to gain practical experience.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 02:26 PM
In my state, Texas, I have shepherded an organization through the 501(c)3 process.

Here, you file with the Secretary of State of Texas, and they have forms you fill out. I think the filing fee for most corporate entities in TX is $200.

Note, however, that being a Texas not-for-profit doesn't automatically give you federal (501-c-3) status. You get incorporated in a state, and use incorporation bylaws and language approved by the IRS for corps seeking 501 status.

The form from the IRS website you need is form 557.

Texas has a corporation franchise tax, but if you are granted federal 501 status, texas will exempt the tax if you request a waiver of tax.

I would also consider Delaware, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, or Wyoming. Some of those states are "open for business" to the extent they'll let you incorporate in their state from outside. (you'd still have to register in some states where you did business).

But yeah, if you paid more than like $750 for the full tour, I'd say your lawyer is ripping you off. If you study hard and are willing to do a little paperwork, you could do it yourself and save $200-$500, in my opinion.

all the best.


posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 01:11 PM
Science fiction conventions regularly do the 501c3 process, and it really doesn't require a lawyer.

You might also check with SCORE (the retired executives group) for advice on how to set the corporation up.


log in