It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Piece of Software Ever?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by iCEdTenG

Originally posted by Simulacra
Microsoft Word.

It's like the digital wheel.

Microsoft Office It's like the digital SUV

Open Office. It's like an SUV that is free.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I reiterate what I had said earlier.

Although Photoshop is very useful, The Gimp is getting better and better as far as functionality.

to open source software!

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by supercheetah

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
I think it's called Taurus or something like that.

I haven't used it yet, but I'm betting that one would be the most useful during the revolution.

Tor

Wow, I really butchered that one. That explains why I could never find it, and kept coming up with astrology sites.

Thank you SC

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I'd say ls, cat and watch.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
How about Furl? Any other Furlers out there? I use it all the time to be able to go back and read something I want to read in greater depth without bookmarking it. It has the additional advantage of saving the actual cached version of what you were viewing, so when you go back, you will actually see what you "furled" rather than any updated (or modified/edited) version.

I prefer having this data stored remotely, rather than on my PC where it could get accidentally deleted or corrupted.

It also shows you what other people are saving and recommends other sites similar to the ones you've saved.

StumbleUpon is pretty cool, too. it brings up random sites that fit in with your preferences.

I've found some things I would have probably never found on my own by using Furl and goofing around with StumbleUpon.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Hmm. My vote would have to go to Amarok (KDE Audio Player) and VLC.

Somebody else mentioned XBMC. XBMC is truly one of the greatest Media Center's I have ever seen. It's freakin awesome and flies like hell on my modded Xbox. Plays EVERYTHING I've thrown at it, plays all my DVDs, organizes my music library by itself, and has a kick ass XBox 360 skin. What more could you ask for?

Firefox is close behind, but it's been falling back a bit, must be that bloat.

Then, definitely Apache. Why Apache? Everything runs Apache!

Abiword kicks OOo's ass when it comes to a Word Processor, but LaTeX is usually where I stand. So, pdflatex ftw? I'd say so.

Next? I'd have to say Invision Power Boards. I'm an FLOSS junkie, but IPB is a damn well coded program. I'd admire the lead developer, Matt Mecham.

I'd like to say Blender, but if anybody's actually used Blender they'd know just how unbelievably horrible the interface is.

Irssi sure comes in great handy when there's actually people in our channel, which isn't very often. Best IRC client ever.

My life would be much harder without cd, so I'll have to mention it. Cd, you're so awesome. I love you.

I can't live without Kate. What's that? A program for GNU/Linux geeks named after a girl? Yes, how sad. But, when it comes to my needs for a text editor, I love it. Double plusgood!

And certainly not last, but also certainly not least (as this list has no real order), is Wine. Wine, wine wine. Wine really comes in handy if for some reason there's an application that doesn't have a good GNU/Linux replacement, or for those fun little apps that you just find around the Internet that you just have to try. Ever tried opening a Win32 virus in Wine? Doesn't do much anything at all, sadly.

Well..that's it for now. Carry on.

[edit on 2-8-2007 by dreamlandmafia]

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia
Hmm. My vote would have to go to Amarok (KDE Audio Player) and VLC.

Somebody else mentioned XBMC. XBMC is truly one of the greatest Media Center's I have ever seen. It's freakin awesome and flies like hell on my modded Xbox. Plays EVERYTHING I've thrown at it, plays all my DVDs, organizes my music library by itself, and has a kick ass XBox 360 skin. What more could you ask for?

Firefox is close behind, but it's been falling back a bit, must be that bloat.

Then, definitely Apache. Why Apache? Everything runs Apache!

Abiword kicks OOo's ass when it comes to a Word Processor, but LaTeX is usually where I stand. So, pdflatex ftw? I'd say so.

Next? I'd have to say Invision Power Boards. I'm an FLOSS junkie, but IPB is a damn well coded program. I'd admire the lead developer, Matt Mecham.

I'd like to say Blender, but if anybody's actually used Blender they'd know just how unbelievably horrible the interface is.

Irssi sure comes in great handy when there's actually people in our channel, which isn't very often. Best IRC client ever.

My life would be much harder without cd, so I'll have to mention it. Cd, you're so awesome. I love you.

I can't live without Kate. What's that? A program for GNU/Linux geeks named after a girl? Yes, how sad. But, when it comes to my needs for a text editor, I love it. Double plusgood!

And certainly not last, but also certainly not least (as this list has no real order), is Wine. Wine, wine wine. Wine really comes in handy if for some reason there's an application that doesn't have a good GNU/Linux replacement, or for those fun little apps that you just find around the Internet that you just have to try. Ever tried opening a Win32 virus in Wine? Doesn't do much anything at all, sadly.

Well..that's it for now. Carry on.

[edit on 2-8-2007 by dreamlandmafia]

Yes, XBMC is great but it doesn't play 720P and 1080P videos without constant stuttering. I still got mine but I'm using my PS3 with Gentoo as HTPC instead. It lacks many features of XBMC but It's getting better and It seems to play 720P and 1080P fine.

Personally, my best app would be Firefox. I just can't live without it.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Lately i've been using XMLspy for all my xml editing...

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Photoshop. How else would ATS operate if Photoshop were not around for all the hoaxers?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join