It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Piece of Software Ever?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   
What are your opinion of the best software ever?

Off the top of my head... and a piece of software ive been using alot lately ill have to say google earth... love checking out all over the globe.. seeing where my family came from... places i'd like to go but haven't been able to

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Woops ive just realized i've put this in the cryptozoology forum :LoL: Mods can ya please move it for me to computer forum

[edit on 6/2/2007 by iCEdTenG]

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 10:59 AM
link   
yep google earth is good, like walking down the road of a place, interesting when it becomes 3d. shame they have to blur some places out, and delete some places, because of the threats today.

but for me it has to be windows 95, bringing computers into the home, easy for consumers. although 3.1 was ok, win95 interface changed computing.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   
i don't really class windows as software technically.... i wasn't intending to includ e operating systems in the same class

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Woops that didn't sound right... i mean yeah it's software but i think Operating Systems are in a different class to software

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I enjoy using my anagram software, the same program Dan Brown used when he was writing The Da Vinci Code. It is out of this world.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   
alright then the best piece of software that i like most is xbmc(xbox media center), on the xbox. it is made by the xbox community, but is the best media player out there. just shows you what independent programmers can do if they have the access to the language of a computer(in this case an xbox).

sorry if you meant a pc software, but xbox is practically a pc, and xbmc is the best media player there is, until maybe they hack the xbox 360.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   
no, any software on any format as long as it does something for you.... since i have a crappy video card i cant stream movies to my tv... as it has no outlets.... however my 360 lets me do this via the dashboard.... yay me...

btw that anagram program sounds good... is it free? link?

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   
nice program that anagram software

[edit on 2/6/2007 by andy1033]

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by iCEdTenG

btw that anagram program sounds good... is it free? link?

No sozdon't have the orig. xbox i was asking for the link to the anagram program

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Microsoft Word.

It's like the digital wheel.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 11:24 AM
link   
It's not free no.

Anagramgenius.com

Conspiracy Theory///Hysteric crap? No? Oy!

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra
Microsoft Word.

It's like the digital wheel.

Microsoft Office It's like the digital SUV

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
i just completed my income tax return with TurboTax last night. it's probably not the best software ever but anything that can rescue me from having to read convoluted tax instructions provided by the government is a huge plus in my book.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Here's my favorite FREE programs:

1. bitTorrent / Azureus - for downloading anything u can imagine
2. Blender - 3D modeling and animation
3. Mozilla Firefox - Best web browser ever
4. Windows (Live) Messenger - makes leaving ur house a thing of the past

My favorite commercial programs:
Microsoft Office, specifically Word, Excel, and Outlook

For web development:
Adobe Photoshop, Flash 8, Fireworks
FlashFXP (FTP program), Navicat (Database Program), EditPlus 2 (text editor)

Edn

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Well operating systems are a bit of a gray area for me. When you look at something like GNU/Linux it isn't a single piece of software, the complete operating system is made up of hundreds of small and big programs working together, Linux being the kernel (one piece of software) and GNU being the large number of little programs that make the OS what it is today. I would like to say GCC is a great piece of software but this is where the gray area comes in as technically it could be counted as part of the OS.

I cant give a single piece of software but I'll list a couple of what I believe to be excellent, fully free and in a lot of cases better than there paid counterparts.

Blender - If your into art stuff and 3D this is a great 3D modeling application which once you get used to is give most paid alternatives a run for there money.

Open Office - When it comes down to it, your never going to use any of the advanced features found in MS Office that you cant find in Open Office, why pay for what you can get for free.

VLC Media Player - This is the media player to have period. It will play absolutely anything you throw at it.

Like I mentioned there all free, they will also all work in Windows, GNU/Linux, Mac and a variety of other operating systems, and they are very good.

I few other things (honestly I could go one forever
) Wolfenstein:Enemy Territory - great (free) online fps, gaim - instant messenger, Code::Blocks - if your into programing, Xchat - for IRC

[edit on 6-2-2007 by Edn]

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   
An anarchist geek friend of mine was telling me about a software application that bounces your IP address around multiple servers all over the world so that your computer actions can't be traced by conventional means. I think it's called Taurus or something like that.

I haven't used it yet, but I'm betting that one would be the most useful during the revolution.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
i think the PING program would be a good contender for this title. IIRC its how various servers which comprise the internet know whether a particular server is up (active) or down (inactive). and if your pc doesn't know what's up or down or whatever, how would your data get where you want it to go? .. am i making any sense here?

Ping is a computer network tool used to test whether a particular host is reachable across an IP network. Ping works by sending ICMP “echo request” packets ("Ping?") to the target host and listening for ICMP “echo response” replies (sometimes dubbed "Pong!" as an analog from the Ping Pong table tennis sport.)

PLUS! it comes pre-installed in all current operating systems.

[edit on 6-2-2007 by toreishi]

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
An anarchist geek friend of mine was telling me about a software application that bounces your IP address around multiple servers all over the world so that your computer actions can't be traced by conventional means. I think it's called Taurus or something like that.

I haven't used it yet, but I'm betting that one would be the most useful during the revolution.

Tor

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I'm not sure if there is any BEST in this category.

But I would add that anything far removed from Micro$oft is a good start.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join