It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Flag a symbol of agression?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Australians are prevented from making political statements by flying the historic Australian Eureka Flag and also prevented from displaying the national flag at a concert.

au.todaytonight.yahoo.com
Boxer Anthony Mundine has turned his talents to rap music, using his first video to make a statement about John Howard and the flag.

If Boxer and aspiring rap artist Anthony Mundine was looking for a fight, he will certainly have some angry opponents after his first music video clip.

The Man's new rap video shows burning a flag - the Union Jack - and a picture of Prime Minister John Howard being shredded and burnt.

It has been described as a statement against political oppression, but some do not see it that way.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Democracy.. This flag issue isnt over a racial debate. That certainly cannot be seen as being the reason for not allowing the flag to be flown. Its over being 'Australian'. I am in support of people who want to fly a flag that showed the sucess of people over regulation. People fighting for their rights. Why is it the case that our freedom is so regulated? Banning flying the Australian flag was just ridiculous. It was in my opinion a ploy to get the flag flown. Firstly it was only banned at the ACT venue of the big day out and secondly seven network TV run a "fly the flag" campaign.. Seriously.. this all is one big fat ugly joke.. The biggest case of "dont tell a teen not to do something or they will' What a joke.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
That video Anthony Mundine produced is the most disgusting thing I've seen in a long time. He claims the video is an 'appeal to peace,' but if he was trying to get a message across, I think it got lost in all the hate filled ritualistic burning.
The video is supposed to be a protest against the government's attitude towards the stolen generation and other atrocities committed towards the Aboriginal people of Australia, but if he thinks the message is going to get out like this, then perhaps he's been knocked out just one time too many in the ring. To think that a video such as this will get a meaningful message through to anyone other than misguided teenagers is just plain wrong. He probably welcomes the controversy the video brought on, but if any government policy is changed by this then I will be very surprised.

And onto the issue of the flag. I was not aware that it was actually banned as such at a Big Day Out festival (for those of you not in the know, the Big Day Out is a series of HUGE festivals held in major cities around the country on or near Australia day, and are a whole heap of fun), rather, wasn't it banned at first, but later people were 'strongly advised' not to bring it along? The reason for this was that a physical Australian flag could stir up underlying racial tensions that have been everywhere since those dickheads started the Cronulla riots.
I saw a great cartoons summing up the whole thing. Two security guards are standing there, with this massive guy with piercings and a mohawk and chains walks past. One says "Ok, I'll sneak up behind him and tackle him to the ground," and the other guard says "ok, and then I'll take his Australian flag off him." You look again in the picture, and you spot an innocuous looking lad walking behind the punk.
I think it had a great message. There are bigger fish to fry.

new topics

join