It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion, Belief & Church, What is the difference?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I would like to start this thread to get opinions of the members who are expert in defining religious terms.

Can we really say that the three words I mentioned above have the same meaning? Or they have different meanings?

If they have the same meaning, then I am sure someone can explain that.
If these words are different from each other then I'm also sure that someone can explain that.

Or can it be explained in a different way without choosing the basic conclusions that I wrote?

[edit on 6-2-2007 by searching_for_truth]

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Religion:

Demonstration of superstitions, or, what we like to call magick these days but manipulation of symbols in a ritualistic manner or even open handed is what religion truly is - more of a verb than a noun! Praxis would be the noun describing a certain set of religious activities.

Church:

Circular assembly - God is the singularity in the center and the perimeter is comprised of the souls who have entered the body of Christ (agape love which is unity when in the nude)...each point is a soul...and eventually all souls will be counted there...that is when there will be 'no more sea.'
This circle is populated in specific perfect order - the Fibonacci sequence - and there is never a limit of any sort and the circle will never be anything less than perfect according to shape aesthetically and geometrically.
I hope that makes sense. I still haven't found a way to explain this more simply.

Belief:

That inner 'knowing' that is rooted in our 'gut' which is NEVER a choice and so cannot be chosen or denied. It is what we 'know' but truly have no way to prove to another. Belief isn't effective when used in an effort to recruit others to the same 'knowing.' It is a totally private thing and must not be insisted on as it often is. It is not 'hope' which is belief in things not seen. Belief is the instrument of hope but belief can be seen somehow and yet still not provable to others. Hope is what we believe in that is not tangible in any way except as a conviction.

Faith is neither hope or belief. Faith is 'constancy' or 'loyalty' - basically it is the trustworthiness of a true friend. That is why humanity cannot save itself by having 'faith' in Christ. That makes no sense, actually.
We can rely on Christ. That is why it is the faith of Christ Jesus that saves the world. He did what he said and what is done is done. Even for atheists.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Annie seems to have hit the proverbial nail on the head..

It gets back to the question, "Religion and Spirituality, what's the difference?"

There is a big difference...

Religion is the practice of an indoctinated belief system. It is also very ritualistic in nature.

Spirituality is not on both accounts.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I know you said you began this thread for experts. While I am not an expert, I have never let that stop me before! Here goes:

While any dictionary can define the terms, the words also have connotative meanings which may not appear in print anywhere. It is concerning these connotative meanings that I would like to speak.

For some, church, belief, and religion may be so closely entertwined that they cannot be clearly separated, while for others the terms may be entirely distinct from one another. For me, they are really simple.

Belief - whatever one thinks is true. Some believe in Jesus, some believe in enlightenment, some believe that there is no god.

Religion - the formal or informal collection of beliefs.

Church - a place where religion and belief can be shared, refined, investigated, or practiced - an organization or group that assists those who are refining, investigating, or practicing their beliefs or religion.

I like a nice, simple approach - so the above definitions suit me fine.

new topics

top topics

join