It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I quit smoking today

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
You know what though? That urge to want a smoke is still present at times. I was over at my neighbors last night, having a glass or two, or three of wine, and damn I wanted a cigarette! She smokes, and when she would go outside for one, I would go along and take in that smell
It took all my strength not to ask her for a smoke, it helped that my son was there, and I knew he would give me some flack if I did

Josh...aren't you proud of me...I was totally impressed with myself

It was prom night last night, and her hubby is a photographer, he got some excellent pictures of our boys. I'll post a picture of my handsome lad when I get them from Mr. Neighbor guy
Man he sure looked smashing, but maybe it's because I'm his mom and I think he's adorable...maybe he has a face only a mother could love?? And I do

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Ata girl............

Vice stings us even in our pleasures, but virtue consoles us, even in our pains.

Colton

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Thanks Whaaa!
I think that was my first big test since I quit smoking, and I passed the test
It makes me feel good

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I bought a pack of menthols cuz I was like man I wont smoke these nasty things

2 days went by

1 cig

I went to a bar today, I probably smoked 10.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 01:24 AM
link   
You know Lysergic, it probably wouldn't be too bad on you if you could limit your smoking to bar time only
Keep your lungs clean the rest of the week
I know....if that were possible...then we would all be doing it
Easier said than done...hang in there, and you really have to be ready to quit Lysergic, then you can get it done and over with.

[edit on 4/23/2007 by jensouth31]

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
I went to a bar today, I probably smoked 10.

The bar thing gets me too. I just can't make it through a night at the bar without smoking, and I absolutely hate being that guy that bums smokes. So, I end up buying a pack before I go and then wake up the next morning with half a pack that I don't want.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 11:27 PM
link   
What are you people talking about? Cigarettes are a great source for all your daily vitamins! It contains your daily dose of Rat Poisen, let me see.. Rocket Fuel, Farmeldahyde, and it even creates new organs in your body, that's one thing we humans need, is more organs, more organs a longer life right? :shk:I'm ashamed:shk:

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I wanna say its been about 2 weeks now. . .

I don't miss them this time, also kinda stopped drinking.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadSeason313
What are you people talking about? Cigarettes are a great source for all your daily vitamins! It contains your daily dose of Rat Poisen, let me see.. Rocket Fuel, Farmeldahyde, and it even creates new organs in your body, that's one thing we humans need, is more organs, more organs a longer life right? :shk:I'm ashamed:shk:

Thats a good one!
Can I add, It also color coordinates your teeth with various types of wood flooring. Designer teeth are awesome!

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Lysergic!! Good for you
The longer you go the stronger you get, I was around smokers the entire time I was on vacation & it never crossed my mind to try and bum one

Yeah Lysergic!!!!!!

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   
here in Lucas County Ohio, they've banned smoking in bars and restaurants... clean air for me... YaY

But I don't agree with the ban... as a non smoker I think people should have the choice of smoking in a bar or not. It's a private business.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
I wanna say its been about 2 weeks now. . .

I don't miss them this time, also kinda stopped drinking.

I'd say it's been about 3-4 1/2 weeks, now.

the menthols were a huge turn off.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Awesome news Lys!!

I'm about a month short of 2 years without smoking so I know how it is.

You've gotten past the rough spots so keep it up man!

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Im at 4 1/2 months woo hoo!! I feel great, my house is clean, and I am using that money for a new wardrobe that this momma desperatly needed. Im looking forward to month 7. I smoked for almost 15 years and was never able to quit for more than 6 months. I turn 30 at the end of this month, so I was bound and determinded not to say I smoked for half my life. I must say though, I was prepared this time. For the year prior to quitting, I worked on breaking every smoking habit i had. Including going to a bar for the main reason of not smoking. It only took me 2 times before that habit was broken (didnt have the hang over the next day either big fat woo hoo there). I still enjoy the smell of it, but I have no urge to smoke anymore. I feel so much better, I never want to be a smoker again. Im not going to say it has been easy though.

I am going to share the two tricks that have helped me through it all. I really dont think I could have quit with out them. First, if you are having one of those really bad cravings, take the deepest breath you can, relax the muscles in you neck right behind your jaw, and hold it for 20 seconds. Then blow it out as fast as you can. The breathing part stirs up the crap left in your lungs and gives you the same nicoteen hit as you would get from smoking one. The other trick is one of the mind. As soon as you find yourself thinking of smoking, divert your attention elsewhere. Play a game of counting every red thing you see. You will stop viewing cravings as a need and start viewing them as a thought that you can easily change.

I also used the gum on occasion. The first time I went to a bar with out smoking i made sure I had a piece in my back pocket. I used them only for those really difficult occasions, and still today if something big happened that made me want to smoke, i would go get some gum. It is a good fall back, just to make sure that cigs are totaly out of the question.

Well, good luck all!! And way to go. Quitting is by far the most difficult thing I have done, and I dont say that lightly as I have given birth to 3 babies 2 were drug free, and Im a stay at home mom. Be proud of yourself even if you have only quit for a day. Because it totaly and completely sucks!

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   
First of all, hats off to Jen and Nite. (And everyone else that has quit)

Today was day one of me quitting, and as the night goes on, the more I want one. I do have some patches from when I tried to quit a couple of months ago. I think the one I have on has wore off. I will not give up! I'll just have to take this one day at a time.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by jensouth31

I have found that the third day is the hardest. Once you get past it, the nicotine addiction gets easier.

As a quitter before, mind if I offer advice?

One of the hardest parts of quitting is not the nicotine addiction, it is the physcial addiction. The soothing parts of lighting up a cigarrette and drawing on it.
Pay close attentions to your cravings to light up. I can gaurentee they coincide with when you would smoke. While driving, while talking on the phone, after dinner, etc.

When you see the pattern, then you can start avoiding it, and understand what it really is. If worse comes to worst, then you can order non-nicotine herbal cigarrettes off the web.

Also, find something to replace the physical habit. I actually quit using a yo-yo. I never yo-yoed before. So when I got an urger, I got intent on learnign to use that yo yo. I carried it in my pocket everywhere. I would use it standing in line, at home, anything to distract me from focusing on the craving. And it really worked.

I know people who have had the same success using sunflower seeds. Because peeling them and eating them one by one keeps your hands and mind busy.

Then there is also cleaning, knitting, etc.

Everyday I didn't smoke I put a big red X on the calendar. It was like a sticker in kindergarten. It was a mark of pride. Plus it helps you realize that it is one day at a time, hour by hour, minute by minute. So you don't get overwhelmed by the overall picture.

It got to where my friends came over they liked to check out my calendar. It helped them realize my progress, and how far I had come.

Best of luck to you. Just breaking down and having one doesn't ruin everything. Just like one cookie ruins a diet, it was the overall binging. Just immediately start over, make a mental note what caused the relapse, and keep going.
And maybe tomorrow you can give yourself a big X.

P.S. let your friends and family know you are quitting. And give a big message to try to avoid any stressors for you.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 01:06 AM
link   
and don't forget the gum for the hardcore cravings. the nic gum helped me along with the yo yo.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I thought the nicotine gum was horrid

Titan!!!! Go...Go...Go... You can do this, and you won't regret it
If you need me, or Josh for that matter, we are just a u2u away. I'm happy to kick back and watch you go, and encourage you along the way

The first few days are hard, no joke, but you can't let something control your life like that. Take control!

[[[[hugs]]]]

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   
:shk: Just a little over 24 hours and I gave in. I started getting a bad headache, and shaking. I couldn't stop.
:bnghd: But it was only one, and I used to smoke a pack a day. I will stop, I have the determination needed.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   
No worries, pick yourself back up. When I quit I caved in on day two and bought a pack of smokes myself
I got rid of them at bedtime so I wouldn't be tempted by them in the morning, and that's when I went and got the patch.

It's just a minor set-back....you can do this

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join