It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Argentina to invade Falklands

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kolmo
as for the poster above...atorante sos un hijo de remil puta no tenes cara, no sos mas que un puto yankee...

Kolmo,
calling members 'lazy sons of whores with affected thinking' (or words to that effect) in whatever language will do nothing other than get you a slap from the mods...

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I can't think of anything more cowardly than talking crap in another language. It's like sticking your tongue out at someone behind their back.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by C ROBERTSON
lots of British people are living there and have done for centuries

[edit on 12/2/07 by C ROBERTSON]

how long the brits are living there doesn't matter at all, it is not Britain.Brits have been living in many parts of the world for centuries, so by your reckoning britain should claim all those countries for the english queen. You belong in the dark ages

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   
The only way the dispute over the islands can ever be settled is by a good ol' duel on the pitch...an Argentina vs. England match to end ALL matches, the winners get the claim to the islands, and the losers get their bus-fare home

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd
I can't think of anything more cowardly than talking crap in another language. It's like sticking your tongue out at someone behind their back.

Yeah it is low. Thats why I consider Kolmo to be a juvenile and SnakeSkywalker to be a mature well rounded person. The last time we played football... (sorry soccer) against them we beat them 3-2 I think? It hurts bad to be Argentinian and be beaten by the English, unfortunately there carrying alot of baggage around with them. Stems from IMO a murdering dictatorship, defeat in the Falklands, national bankruptcy and the resulting denial.

And i'm sorry if Argentinians read this and get upset but there is truth in it.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by golddragnet
how long the brits are living there doesn't matter at all, it is not Britain.

Neither is it Argentina. They are off the coast of Argentina, yes, but Réunion Island is off the coast of Madagascar yet is controlled by France. Europa Island if off the coast of Mozambique and yet, again, is owned by France. Guantanamo Bay is in Cuba yet is owned by the United States. Guam is an island near Micronesia but is owned by the United States. There are dozens more examples of territories being huge distances away from the mother country yet still being owned by them.

The British claim to the islands dates back to 1765, whereas the Spanish claim dates back to 1771. Argentina continued Spain's claim when the Spanish granted Argentina its independence in 1816. So not only had Britain claimed the islands before Argentina, it also has residents there and has done for many decades (many of whom have had relatives who have lived on the islands since the nineteenth century). What right does any nation have to remove them? None. The only legal way for Argentina to gain those islands is for Britain to secede them diplomatically, and the UK will only do so if the islanders consent to it... and they're perfectly happy as they are.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by golddragnet
In reality Britain should have no claim whatsoever to those islands off the coast of Argentina, an evil invading force, the world should be more enlightened than allowing invading armies to control other countries, but unfortunately the world is run by evil greedy individuals

ermmm...sorry,
we invaded that place fair and square. Yes, the Americans gave us a helping hand by destroying the colony there, but still, its ours now.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   
carslake you really talk alot of # dont you, if you want i'll tell you in english how i feel about a pathetic low life human like you, but there are things called mods here. Anyway, i don't care to argue with someone as stupid, ignorant and really just a loser like yourself.
What I said in spanish is only for us to understand, and the translation is completely wrong.
I remember that game it was another ugly scrape at the last 5 minutes of the game, were you scored 2 goals when Argentina was clearly the better team, much like in the World Cup, except you run out of luck quite quickly haha.
I can tell you now, I don't think there is another country with people who are so proud of their nationality xD. Nevermind though, as I said this conversation isn't about you and your pointless life, so I will just ignore you from now on.

[edit on 12-2-2007 by Kolmo]

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Unaware of the French presence, in January 1765, English captain John Byron explored and claimed Saunders Island, at the western end of the group, where he named the harbour of Port Egmont, and sailed near other islands, which he also claimed for King George III of Great Britain. A British settlement was built at Port Egmont in 1766. Also in 1766, Spain acquired the French colony, and after assuming effective control in 1767, placed the islands under a governor subordinate to Buenos Aires. Spain attacked Port Egmont, ending the British presence there in 1770, but Britain returned in 1771 and remained until 1774. Upon her withdrawal in 1774 Britain left behind a plaque asserting her claims, and in 1790, Britain officially ceded control of the islands to Spain, and renounced any and all colonial ambitions in South America, and its adjacent islands, as part of the Nootka Convention.

In addition, the Nootka Convention provided for equal British, Spanish, and US rights to fish the surrounding waters of, as well as land on and erect temporary buildings to aid in such fishing operations, in any territory south of parts already occupied by Spain - the Falkland Islands being one of them since 1770 [2]. From then on Spain ruled the islands unchallenged under the name "Islas Malvinas", maintaining a settlement ruled from Buenos Aires under the control of the Viceroyalty of the Rio de la Plata until 1811. On leaving in 1811, Spain, too, left behind a plaque asserting her claims.

When Argentina declared its independence from Spain in 1816, it laid claim to the islands according to the uti possidetis principle, since they had been under the administrative jurisdiction of the Viceroyalty of the Rio de la Plata.

When Argentina declared its independence from Spain in 1816, it laid claim to the islands according to the uti possidetis principle, since they had been under the administrative jurisdiction of the Viceroyalty of the Rio de la Plata. On 6 November 1820, Colonel David Jewett, an American sailor at the service of Buenos Aires, and captain of the frigate Heroina, raised the flag of the United Provinces of the River Plate (which later became Argentina) at Port Louis. He warned the British and American seal hunting ships present that they did not have authorization to hunt seals in the area, and then returned to Buenos Aires; the sealers ignored his warning.

Occupation began in 1826 with the foundation of a settlement and a penal colony. The settlement was destroyed by United States warship in 1831 after the Argentinian governor of the islands Luis Vernet seized U.S. seal hunting ships during a dispute over fishing rights. They left behind escaped prisoners and pirates. In November 1832, Argentina sent another governor who was killed in a mutiny. In January 1833, British forces returned, took control, repatriated the remainder of the Argentine settlement, and began to repopulate the islands with British citizens.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   

carslake you really talk alot of # dont you, if you want i'll tell you in english how i feel about a pathetic low life human like you, but there are things called mods here. Anyway, i don't care to argue with someone as stupid, ignorant and really just a loser like yourself.
What I said in spanish is only for us to understand, and the translation is completely wrong.
I remember that game it was another ugly scrape at the last 5 minutes of the game, were you scored 2 goals when Argentina was clearly the better team, much like in the World Cup, except you run out of luck quite quickly haha.
I can tell you now, I don't think there is another country with people who are so proud of their nationality xD. Nevermind though, as I said this conversation isn't about you and your pointless life, so I will just ignore you from now on.

[edit on 12-2-2007 by Kolmo]

Stopit your turning me on

Shame, you got the last word in before turning me off

[edit on 12-2-2007 by carslake]

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   

carslake you really talk alot of # dont you, if you want i'll tell you in english how i feel about a pathetic low life human like you..etc..

By resorting to personal insults, you have just lost your credibility and your argument

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I think this message from a mod bears repeating:

Originally posted by FredT
Alrighty then. This is no doubt a heated topic on both sides of the coin But..........

Please refrain from personal attacks. They add nothing to the debate at hand. .

Thanks
FredT

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I doubt very much that Argentina would even think about trying to take the Falklands again. If they did it would be a tragic mistake and I don't believe the majority of Argentinians would support a war that they cannot possibly win.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 05:05 AM
link   

In January 1833, British forces returned, took control, repatriated the remainder of the Argentine settlement, and began to repopulate the islands with British citizens.

ermm...so? its called imperialism and thats what we're good at
you dont get the World's largest Empire in the history for nothing

Good old Maggie wanted to nuke you lot, so count yourself lucky (that is why you shouldn't have female Prime Minister's)

look, come on guys, the British have said that when they want to leave, it will result in a public vote.

The Spanish agree to that with Gibraltar*, so why can't you?

* In a 2002 referendum, 88% of Gibraltarians voted on the question "Do you approve of the principle that Britain and Spain should share sovereignty over Gibraltar?". 99% voted "No"

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 08:27 AM
link   

In January 1833, British forces returned, took control, repatriated the remainder of the Argentine settlement, and began to repopulate the islands with British citizens

that is also known as an invasion, you stole them right there .

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 10:35 AM
link   

In January 1833, British forces returned, took control, repatriated the remainder of the Argentine settlement, and began to repopulate the islands with British citizens

Are your decendants indiginous natives? or spanish? the reason I ask is this:

The First Colonisers
After the arrival of Christopher Columbus in America in 1492, other expeditions took place. One of those was the expedition by Américo Vespucio in 1502, that was the first contact of Spaniards with what would later turn into the Argentine territory, at that time populated by different indigenous groups, mostly nomadic.
source

The spaniards conquered the land that is now Argentina, and as counterpoint to, and on the basis of, your argument, have no more right to the land where you live than you do the Falklands.

that is also known as an invasion, you stole them right there

Touchĕ!

[edit on 13-2-2007 by citizen smith]

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Argentina won't use force to take the islands back, at least not now.. as Ste2652 said the government has much more important issues to resolve at the moment.

Excuses, excuses. Please Kolmo there isn't any shame in just admiting that you'd(Argentina)get the crap kicked out of you...Again.

Our economy is much better, and it plunged in 2000 because Menem was corrupt and screwed our economy over.
As for resolving it peacefully, the UK doesn't give a # and neither does the UN, even with the facts presented to them in their face.

Yeah until the bottom falls out of the rubber ducky market. Has Argentina ever had a dictator... oh sorry President that wasn't corrupt.

I do not want Argentina to go to war, and they won't, as it has no benefit.
If we do at one point reclaim the islands by force, I know most of the S.american countries are with us; and the Argentine army is good, but as long as the US is behing the UK there is not much point.

Yeah thats right we've got Britain's back not that they'll need us to deal with you and your South American allies.

as for the poster above, you really are an ignorant f*ck, atorante sos un hijo de remil puta no tenes cara, no sos mas que un puto yankee... funny that he was the best player in the world.

Say it in english pussy.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Here is quite a good read:

books.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Ah a Frenchman's wounded pride. I can imagine how hard it must have been for him to have taken an order from Maggie. I love his method of revenge though. But of course Britain could just close the tunnel and then reclaim its status as an island nation.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
lol, i think the next third word war it's going to be under internet hehehe. maybe we can make a mmorpg and all of us start the war right no?

if we think a little, all of us have enemyes. example, i hate bolivians cause they are in all of my city (Buenos Aires), i have friends who travelled to the united kingdom to work and stay cause they think it's a better place to stay. people of the united kingdom and others countries are afraid of the terrorist, we not are afraid of the terrorist. well, this is a hard and long history. but i think im right.

Cya for now friends.

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join