It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Chance To See The World

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I attended a seminar today that is promoting it's services which include sending graduating students to different cultures all over the world to help teach language skills or simple motivation skills in young children who lack the ability. Within moments of listening I was enthralled by the idea and could barely contain myself. I turned to my girlfriend and expressed my excitement for the idea and she had just as much, if not more. It is a serious luxury I have in my relationship, in that she cares about the same things that I do. We have contacted the organization and are currently in the process of looking into a possible placement somewhere in the world.

My first call was for a placement in Rome. My girlfriend is leaning towards Paris or London, but we are in the process of looking through it. If the European side of things fall through, though it looks like they won't, we could venture to New York City, Miami, or California. The American cities don't come with the same cultural experience, but I would still enjoy them. I have one more year remaining in the course that I am currently enrolled in, so the extent of my placement this year would be restricted to the Summer. I am hoping that from late May to mid August I will be able to call Rome my ....home. (Couldn't avoid the rhyme)

When I graduate in less than 12 months, the sky is the limit. I can venture into one or two year placements in Australia, Iceland, Germany, etc. There are not too many locations world wide that I do not have at my disposal. The best of it is, my travel is all paid for along with my food and board. So every dollar I earn is going into my own pocket.

The thought of traveling the world and working was something that was always a dream of mine. The fact I am young and not tied down with children, just yet, is more than enough of a reason to push me to do this. So with any luck I will spend this summer in either Rome, London, or France and then decide where I go from there. Worst case scenario for this summer is that I head to the United States to a destination of our own choice. Coming from a very small town on the east coast of Canada, the sheer thought of this is very exciting.

Seeing the world and experiencing the cultures our world has to offer is something no person should ever miss out on. After today, it seems I may be lucky enough to take it all in sooner rather than later.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Sounds like a dream come true for you and your girlfriend. I assume that you major in language? Can you mention the orginization?

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   
As someone who volunteered for 9 months, ok 10 months but the last month was just because I didn't want to go
I can honestly say you'll have the time of your life.

Living somewhere different, getting to know new people and working with those your there to help, you will if your time is anything like my volunteering have a blast!

I volunteered up in the North of England (Yorkshire) as a learning assistant through an organisation called CSV, and while it was only a few hours drive from home the experience itself made it seem like another world.

Good luck

[edit on 7-2-2007 by UK Wizard]

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   
what an amazing experience, no matter where they send you. I did get a hell of a laugh when I thought about the prospect of sending americans to london to teach language skills.

Shoot for an exotic locale.

If you come to NYC, be forewarned, the local ats members will abduct you as part of an ats-nyc hazing ritual.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Thanks for the reply guys.

I was chatting with the company today and I had found out that the deadline has passed to obtain a placement in Rome. So I am out of luck on that one, but England is still a strong possibility. Aside from that I can go anywhere from Los Angeles to New York. I think if I don't go with England, I would definitely visit New York. The placement is not a volunteer position, we would be making about $2000 CAN a month. That is after all expenses. So it is nothing earth shattering, but certainly something to make it worthwhile. But the amount of money I would be earning is honestly the least of my concerns. The experience itself is more than enough.

I think next April I may sign up for a one or two year placement in Rome or Sicily. The sheer thought of living in Italy for any duration has me coming out of my seat.

C, I don't think you guys would have to twist my arm too far.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Oh shoot; I was hoping you would get Rome, your first choice. Italy is a vacation destination dream that my daughter and I have. Maybe someday soon we will make it to Italy! We are thinking Tuscany, but still looking into it.

I'm so happy for you, what an thrilling experience. You guys are young, have fun no matter where you go...Just stay out of the Middle East.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   
we have Little Italy here in NYC. lots of italians, even a "social club" or two to give you that old school sopranos feel.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I'm a sap for the historical content of a city. I am hoping that next year I can venture on a one year placement in Rome. Experiencing the culture and taking in everything that Italy has to offer, you could not put a price on it. New York City has to top my list of American cities. Something about that city has always caught my eye. One can only continue to hope.

A problem has arised though when it comes to a possible summer placement. I am currently collecting unemployment and it is also paying for my education. I don't have to pay a penny of it back either. If I work outside of the country, I am not paying into EI. So you see the predicament. We have a few ideas laid out, that may or may not work. But my attention has been directed to a one year placement next April. If this summer works out for the best, then it is icing on the cake.

Either way, I see this as a win-win situation.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 11:44 PM
link   
See the world man. Take a lot of pictures. You never know if you will get this type of opportunity again. Enjoy.

new topics

top topics

join