It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turner Settles with Boston

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Turner Broadcasting Corp. will pay back Massachusetts $2 million for the Cartoon Network guerrilla marketing campaign that prompted a rash of bomb scares across the city last week.

Attorney General Martha Coakley announced the agreement this morning, which absolves the entertainment giant of any civil or criminal claims with the state and local agencies who were a part of the settlement.

Menino said the situation was aggravated by the discovery of two pipe bombs Wednesday that put emergency responders further on edge. One of the bombs was found on a bridge, the other outside New England Medical Center.

"With the one at New England Medical Center, the guy ran out of the hospital saying, 'God will get you. This is going to be a bad day for you,' "Menino said. “We had evidence that something was going on out there. Our police and all the other public safety officials took the appropriate action."

The subtext to all the questions and answers during the press conference was the sense that Boston had become the butt on national jokes as a result of the "cartoon" scare. But Coakley, Menino and other officials said there was nothing to laugh about.

--news.bostonherald.com...

I find it harsh for Boston to be labeled unreasonable when they were finding pipe bombs in the city on the same day. That being said, this agreement with Turner should be sufficient to pay back Boston. I am glad to see that they aren't going to fight this out in court. Now all that remains to see is how they will deal with the two people they are trying to prosecute.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   
This wasn't even a slap on the wrist. It does show that as long as you have deep enough pockets, you can pay yourself out of any problem. I'm afraid that if this sets a precedent, more and more companies will use such a strategy to get attention for their ads. $2 million is nothing for the amount of publicity this whole thing has generated nation and world wide.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Yeah I have to agree 2 million is very cheap. 6/7 hundred k less then a super bowl add means nothing to them and like DJ stated others will probably follow suit with similar stunts :shk:

join