It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Warming And How We Can Stop It...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Or heck, re-engineer coal plants so that they burn coal and create CO2, but that CO2 is somehow stored somewhere.

already done, or at leats being done in Perth, australia. its called geosequestration. there is a coal station being built here that pumps the CO2 into the ground to be stored.

but in terms of what you said otherwise, really all those things: clean cars, better technologies and so on are all great, and possible, but not for a while. i belive that peak oil will strike before that will ever happen unfortunately.
what i meant to say over all though is that humans, ever since their evolution, have never relied on technology in the form of energy until the industrial revolution. surely we can live without it from now. the only thing is that civilization relies on it, and we rely on civilization so it would be a big problem when enacting that initial switch.
this is why i would suggest waiting until peak oil to do it, as by then we would grind to a halt anyway.

but if by some chance a scientist somewhere cracked the puzzle of hydrogen energy as a totally clean and self sufficient energy then by all means go on with it. just keep in mind that you watch where we are headed this time.

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by funny_pom

Or heck, re-engineer coal plants so that they burn coal and create CO2, but that CO2 is somehow stored somewhere.

already done, or at leats being done in Perth, australia. its called geosequestration. there is a coal station being built here that pumps the CO2 into the ground to be stored.

but in terms of what you said otherwise, really all those things: clean cars, better technologies and so on are all great, and possible, but not for a while. i belive that peak oil will strike before that will ever happen unfortunately.
what i meant to say over all though is that humans, ever since their evolution, have never relied on technology in the form of energy until the industrial revolution. surely we can live without it from now. the only thing is that civilization relies on it, and we rely on civilization so it would be a big problem when enacting that initial switch.
this is why i would suggest waiting until peak oil to do it, as by then we would grind to a halt anyway.

but if by some chance a scientist somewhere cracked the puzzle of hydrogen energy as a totally clean and self sufficient energy then by all means go on with it. just keep in mind that you watch where we are headed this time.

Civilization will always rely on energy of some form though. Civilization is the greatest invention of humankind. It allows us, when most technologically advanced, to produce TONS of food, have great medicine and living conditions, and tons of entertainment, and to explore our world better, etc...while at the same time not destroying the planet.

Initially industry was pretty bad for Earth, but since technology improved (due to capitalism - innovation), industry is a lot better and cleaner, at least in America anyhow. Hopefully China and India will follow suit soon (I am sure they will in the long run).

I believe that we will encounter plenty of technology to handle the oil problem.

Look at the difference between 1900 and 2000, technologically. Now imagine the difference between 2000 and 2100, what it could be
By then, we may have machines that can produce oil or something.

There is so much in science going on right now, such as with nanotechnology and all that, plus we may discover more oil in the oceans even.

I believe Michael Crichton's prediction: that the population of 2100 will be smaller than it is now, and that the people will all-around be wealthier, healthier, and happier than they are now.

Society and civilization only keep advancing. I think we humans will be fine.

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Switch to energy efficient light bulbs (like compact flourescent and LED)

Repair and caulk your windows inside and out.

Use a clothes line instead of a dryer whenever possible.

Buy a Toyota Prius or a Honda Insight

Bike or Walk whenever possible

Buy produce from the local farmer's market instead of the grocers.

When you have to buy an appliance, buy an energy-star or equivolent appliance.

Lobby city, state, and federal government for legislation to make Global Warming a front-of-the-line issue.

Play a board game instead of watching TV.

1) Mercury in flourescent bulbs. it's super toxic, many will break, many more will not be recycled properly. most of these lamps have integrated transformers (coils) which are most likely still intact when the flourescent lamp itself fails. iow, you're currently tossing good transformers. why dod they do it? because it means more revenue. why does noone see it? i'll leave that one to you.

2) insulated windows: yes, ok

3) air drying

4) Hybrids - well, batteries are quite toxic and heavy, electric and mechanical drivetrains are redundant and just add to weight. i'll reserve judgement until a sizeable portion of hybrids head for the scrapyard - we'll see how the battery issue can be handled.

5) biking and walking: if available, why not? weather might be an issue though

6) local food production

7) energy saving... most appliances just sck anyway, disconnect via master switch if applicable

8) caveat emptor - politics is like roulette

----

let me add: modify a fridge so it does not dump heat into heates spaces in winter, it's a very inefficient thing to do .... and: use heat pumps wisely.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join