It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Warming And How We Can Stop It...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   
This thread is not about debating Global Warming's existence. If you want that, go to another thread, please. What I need are ways to reduce energy consumption and greenhouses gasses, at an individual level, for no-cost, low-cost, and medium cost with long term savings.

I would prefer this be something people are actually capable doing, an activity they can do, a product they can buy, or an item they can make, or a method they can implement. I would also appreciate a link as well as an approximate cost.

As for the why, let's just say I woke up last night and realized my family has been standing on a railroad track, watching a train coming, and instead of getting out of the way or stopping the train, we've been debating about the nature of the train and how fast it was approaching. I'm now starting a network of people like myself who don't have a lot of money but want to do what they can to make a difference.

So far I've got:

• Switch to energy efficient light bulbs (like compact flourescent and LED)
  • Repair and caulk your windows inside and out.
  • Use a clothes line instead of a dryer whenever possible.
  • Buy a Toyota Prius or a Honda Insight
  • Bike or Walk whenever possible
  • Buy produce from the local farmer's market instead of the grocers.
  • When you have to buy an appliance, buy an energy-star or equivolent appliance.
  • Lobby city, state, and federal government for legislation to make Global Warming a front-of-the-line issue.
  • Play a board game instead of watching TV.

[edit on 2/5/2007 by thelibra]

• posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 04:03 PM
    link   
    No one even wants to start tackling this one, then? Okay, here's how I see it. Global Warming is no longer one huge problem. It is the consequence of a lot of little problems. When I tell people this, and they ask me "What can I do?", I want to be able to hand them a list and say "start with this."

Well... I guess if nothing else I'll just start treating this like my own little findings journal.

-B

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 04:08 PM
    link   
    Great thread

And i loved the train analogy

To add to your list...

Buy organic food

Fit solar heating system (although this may be out of some people's spending bracket)

Switch green energy provider like... www.good-energy.co.uk...

Eat less meat

Do not use the standby function on electrical appliances

Try to avoid products that contain palm oil

Recycle

Er... thats it for now...

You have voted thelibra for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 04:09 PM
    link   
    Well, Libra, let me just say that I am not sure it can be stopped. Regardless of what we do individually, until big, out of control corporations decide to do something, then we will have to suffer the consequence.

Now, with that being said.. I suppose that:

(1) Lessening the use of electricty may help.

(2) Don't go anywhere unles you absolutely have to. Instead of making three trips to the grocery store every week, make one every week. Maybe one every two weeks if possible.

(3) Hang clothes on a line,like you suggested.

(4) Plant more trees to renew air supply

I mean, there are things we can do. However,I am not too sure that the damage hasn't already been done.

[edit on 5-2-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 04:46 PM
    link   

Well, Libra, let me just say that I am not sure it can be stopped. Regardless of what we do individually, until big, out of control corporations decide to do something, then we will have to suffer the consequence.

Maybe... Maybe not... But i do agree that the corporates are a major problem and dont do anywhere near enough...

But at least you will be able to look future generation in the face and say "i tried"

Anywho... a couple more...

A few months ago i was making a packed lunch for work... doing the usual routine... making the sandwiches... wrapping them in foil... putting them in my bag... when i thought... Why am i waisting all this aluminum foil? I have plastic containers that will keep the food just as fresh and they can be re-used forever!!!

so...

Use less foil/cling film

Fit a home wind turbine

Do not be a consumer victim (constantly up-grading mobile phones and having to have the latest tech gear unless it has a positive effect on the environment)

Insulate your home (i just finished my loft)

Use less bleach and other chemical cleaning agents.

Do not use disposable towels

Do not use disposable Nappy's (diapers)

Give unwanted products (old computer games, kids toys, books etc...) to Charity's. Do not throw them away!

If you are really rich and live in Britain you can even buy a Forest (at least if you own it no one can use it for development)

Obviously i don't do all of the ideas but we do what we can

I will try to think of more but i gotta go to bed soon... Work at 7am

[edit on 5-2-2007 by undercoverchef]

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 11:15 PM
    link   
    In the near term...
    Step 1.
    We need to develop local, regional and national action plans that takes into consideration the demographics and climate of the place in question. Emphasis should be put on a bottom up approach, starting by working within individual neighborhoods and then expanding from there.

Step 2.
    We need to connect more with out neighbors to possibly get into a buying block for solar panels or wind turbines. In larger quantities prices fall, it's a basic rule of economics.

Step 3.
    Governments, both Regional and National should start taxing energy inefficient lighting while giving subsidies and tax credits towards the more efficient kind.

Step 4.
    Repeat step 3 for Automobiles/Trucks/Trains/Planes, this can only work if done on a worldwide scale. China and India in particular.

Step 5.
    Start encouraging large cities to start buying more and more food from within 100 km of the outer city limits. This will happen anyway as peak oil starts to hit sometime next decade...

These 5 steps should take at least 3-4 years to complete but should not take more than 10 years at the most. Anything more could be disastrous for the economy.

The Goal? The goal of these steps is to make it uneconomical to pollute while trying to maintain standard of living.

In the medium term
    This will be more vague, though not nearly as vague as the long term steps we can take.

Invest in hi-technology including space exploration. Learning to build a self-sufficient environment in the most hostile environment we can live in currently, then it will invariably lead to advances far more down to earth.

Invest heavily in emerging sciences like Nano and Nano-Bio Science.

In the long term
    Invest in Molecular Manufacturing

Invest in Regenerative Medicine(A steak being grown in a vat doesn't emit methane like a cow does)

Invest in a Space Elevator

Invest in Fusion Energy.

That's all I got now. Got to go.

[edit on 5-2-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 02:12 PM
    link   
    First, before we get into the list, I need the relationship between you and global warming to be realized. Your direct contributions to global warming are through your home and automobile. If you own your own business, that will be an even larger contributor than both put together, but keeping this on the micro scale, let's limit the initial posits to HOME and CAR.

Each person contributes directly and indirectly to CO2 emissions. As of 2003, the average household was directly producing around 12.4 tons of CO2 emissions per year and the average car directly produced 11.7 tons per year. These are through everyday activities such as electricity usage in the home and driving to work.

You produce additional CO2 emissions indirectly by doing things like eating produce that was grown halfway across the world or visiting an air-conditioned store. These additional indirect CO2 emissions account for an additional 34 tons of CO2 per household.

Obviously, we have to have a home, most of us have to drive to work, and we all have to shop at some point (even if we hate shopping). So what can you do to possibly help out and cut your CO2 emissions?

Here's a list.

FREE THINGS

1.) Make a checklist of every room in the house and tack it to the door you leave through each day as a reminder. Before you leave the house, every single time, walk through every single room of your house, including the closets, and make sure no lights or appliances were left on. You would be surprised how often you'll leave something like a closet light on all day, or even weeks at a time if it's not a room you visit often. Unless you live in a mansion, this should literally take no more than ONE MINUTE.

2.) Find your local Farmer's Market and buy as much of your produce from there as possible from now on, even if it is slightly farther away than the grocery store. This accomplishes three things, one, it almost completely removes the transportation cost in CO2 and oil, it (almost always) gives you better, fresher produce at a cheaper price, and it keeps your money in the local economy, rather than sending it out of state or out of country. Time difference between going to the Farmer's market and the grocer, perhaps fifteen minutes, tops.

3.) Use a clothes line instead of a dryer, whenever possible. It really doesn't take that much longer. If you can spare an entire five minutes from the television or computer, you have time to dump your laundry into a basket, walk it out into the yard, and pin it up on a clothes line. This alone will save almost an entire ton per year off of your direct production of CO2.

4.) Learn to use and program your HVAC thermostat and when possible, change clothes, not the temperature. If everyone is gone from your house there is no need to keep it air conditioned or cooled. Almost every modern thermostat has the ability to do timed settings, so that you can set the HVAC to do nothing when you're at work unless it dips below or rises above a certain temperature level. You can even set it to start cooling off or heating the house 30 mins before you get home so that you don't even have to deal with the house ever being uncomfortable. Are you a stay-at-home person? Then when you leave the house, switch the thermostat off, every time, before you leave, even if it's just for a little bit. Sometimes those five minute trips turn into hours. If you're at home, and just a little too cold or a little too hot, add or subtract a layer of clothes. Two tons of CO2 are anually produced by the HVAC system. Time to learn how to use and set your thermostat: about 5 minutes, tops. Time to change clothes: 1 minute. Time to excercise, 15 minutes.

5.) VOTE for candidates and legislation that make Global Warming a front-of-the-line issue. There's a lot more than just the president out there. There are your senators, your house representatives, your governor, your mayor, your city council. Take a few minutes to see if there's any legislation pending to assist in stopping global warming, and take the time to write or call in your support for it, or if there is no such legislation, ask them why not. Government will never enact environmental standards because "it's the right thing to do." If it is not on the very tip of their constituent's tongues, it will never see the light of day. Time to vote, 30 minutes.

6.) Learn how to walk or ride a bike, and use a backpack. Seriously. The store is two blocks away. Do you really need to take the car? Ask yourself why. If it's because your TV show starts in a few minutes, or because you want to get back to your video game as quick as possible, it may be time to reassess your priorities and your responsibility in life. Time to walk two blocks, buy something and walk back, 30 minutes.

7.) Start a garden. Whatever you eat the most of, see if it will grow in your area, and then dedicate a portion of your back yard (or back porch for apartments) towards growing it. Onions, potatos, various squash, garlic, spices, and strawberries are all items that are relatively small and grow well in Texas. This is an even better option than buying at the farmer's market, as it removes almost all CO2 associated with the growing and harvesting of that food, but is a much more significant investment of time. A successful garden, however, can save you $25-100/mo depending on how much produce you eat.

8.) Start using those blue recycling bins. Find out exactly what your city will and will not take, seperate your trash, and recycle what the city will accept. For the rest of your trash, consider if there's an alternate use for it that perhaps you hadn't considered before. Containers, such as coffee cans, altoid tins, milk jugs, etc, have countless uses. Clean 'em out, run 'em through the dishwasher and you've just saved yourself the time, gas, and money it would have taken to buy a container. Time to wash out a container and put it through the dish washer? Less than 1 minute.

9.) Don't use drive-throughs, or at the very least, turn your car off when stationary. Regardless of your make or model, if your car sits running in idle for 30 seconds, you have consumed more gas than it took to start it. Next time you are in your car, waiting for the drive-through teller or fast food window, turn your engine off each time you scoot up in line. Contrary to popular belief, this will NOT hurt your engine, WILL conserve fuel, and WILL cause much less pollution. Time to perform this action? Less than 1 minute.

10.) Get someone else involved as well. Don't let the list end with you. As you've seen, there's a lot you can do without spending a dime. There's even more you can do with a few bucks, such as weather-sealing the house, but we'll get to that in a bit. It is critical that you understand the need for everyone's eventual involvement on this. If you can get just one more person to start taking these measures, and removing their CO2 emissions, it will be as if your effects were doubled. Get multiple people to then get multiple other people involved, and you exponentially increase your effectiveness. Always keep at least one copy of this list with you at all times. The next time you hear someone talking about Global Warming, and wondering what they can do about it, hand them this list and say "start with this".

More to come, but I wanted to give people an idea of where I'm going with this. The next list of 10 things I'm going to send will be 10 things you can do for under $10.

REFERENCES:

12 Steps to Fight Global Warming
    www.greenpeace.org...

Appliance usage
    www.rmi.org...

How we contribute to global warming
    www.thehcf.org...

Volume of C02 Emissions
    www.icbe.com...

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 01:13 PM
    link   
    Since now we're actually talking about something where money is involved, where possible, I've included the return you will see on investment (ROI) over the long run as a result of these energy saving measures.

THINGS YOU CAN DO TO STOP GLOBAL WARMING FOR UNDER

$10.

1.) Get Your tires properly inflated to their optimal pressure, which should be listed on the side of the tire itself in raised-relief letters and numbers, or inside the drive-side door along the frame. For optimal results, check your tire pressure BEFORE you drive, as the suggestions are usually based on cold tires. While you're at it, get all that old useless junk out of the trunk and back seat. Check your air filter and replace it if it's dirty. Check your spark plugs to make sure they are clean and properly gapped, and replace if neccessary. Total cost for tire gauge, air filter, air from a gas station compressor, and spark plugs will all come to less less than $10. ROI = 3-20% mileage, depending on how much bad off your car is right now. (Reduces about 1/2 to 1 ton CO2)

2.) Buy power strips and use them on your electronics. When not in use, turn off the power strip rather than the device. Obviously for items like a computer or gaming console, it's a good idea to shut them down properly first. Many electronics, especially those that use a standby mode, still draw electricity when not in use. As a word of advice, get one that has a ground (that round third prong) on each outlet, with each outlet pointing to the side, rather than down the strip (that way the bulk-plugs don't overlap as much) with enough space to accomodate larger adapters, and mounting-holes build into the back of it, so you can mount it on the back of your entertainment center or on a wall. A good-quality power strip with safety cutout breaker will run about $3 with tax. ROI = 5-10% of your electric bill, each year, depending on how many electronics you have, and how much their "phantom draw" is. (Reduces about 1/2 to 1 ton CO2)

3.) Replace all the bulbs you can with compact flourescent bulbs (those weird spiral ones) or LED bulbs. They aren't much more expensive than regular bulbs, but they are anywhere from 7-20 times more energy efficient while providing the same amount of light. Don't forget about outside bulbs, bulbs in ceiling-mounted globes, closets, bathrooms, etc... TIP: If you use a dimmer switch, you need to make sure you get one that says it's compatible with those. The cost for either type varies, but most of the time Home Depot, Wal-Mart, or Lowe's will sell multi-packs for under $10. ROI = 25% of your electric bill (Reduces about 3 to 4 tons of CO2).

IMPORTANT! - CFLs have trace amounts of mercury that, while harmless to the user, collectively add up to a problem in landfills. There are many recycling programs in place for CFLs, and often you can either return them to the store you bought them at so they can be properly recycled, or your city might even take them in their recycling program.

4.) Caulk your windows, weatherstrip your doors. Don't know how? www.doityourself.com...
    TIP: Buy the kind that can be used on the exterior, it's only 50 cents more, and caulk both the inside and outside of the window. Total cost for a tube of caulk, weatherseal, and wood-filler (if neccessary) will be under $10. ROI = 10% of your electric bill (Reduces about 1-2 tons of CO2).

5.) Get an "Energy Audit" from your power company. In a nutshell, they come to your house with a checklist of things they check, and let you know additional steps you can take towards improving your energy efficiency. Sometimes they'll even bring you a goody-bag of stuff that will help improve your efficiency. Many companies do this for free, but some charge a nominal fee of around $10. ROI = variable depending on what they find, and what you implement.

6.) Insulate your electrical outlets and phone jacks if they are on an outer wall (as in, still inside the house, but on the other side of the wall would be outside). For outlets that are never or are rarely used, stick an outlet-protector in there (those plastic doo-dads with the two prongs you find in the child safety section). Total price for insulation pads and outlet protectors will be under $10. ROI = 5-10% depending upon how poorly your wall is insulated.

7.) Buy a Carbon Offset - In a nutshell, a "Carbon Offset" is a way of counter-balancing carbon emissions by investing in projects or technologies that reduce or eliminate CO2. Carbon offsets are usually purchased on a per ton of carbon (or carbon dioxide) basis. Typical carbon offsets projects include wind, solar, low-impact hydropower and forestation.
    www.carbonfund.org...
    is one site you can buy them from, with a cost of $5.50/ton, but there are many sites out there, and I only give it for an example site, not for endorsement.

8.) Insulate your hot water pipes and hot water heater (assuming it's the type that can take an insulation jacket). This will save a considerable amount of waste-heat from being lost and take less time to heat the water in the tank. Price for an insulation jacket ranges from Free (if you get one from an energy audit) to $20 if you get an expensive one. So I averaged it out to $10. ROI = 25-50% of your water-heating energy. Reduction in CO2 emissions is too variable to say accurately, but most likely 1/4-1 ton CO2, depending on whether it's heated by electricity or gas or whatnot.

9.) Use window treatments. It doesn't have to be pretty, a cheap set of mini-blinds, or some curtains, or even a draw-shade will help prevent heat-transfer in or out of your windows. Don't have any bare windows? Are you sure? Did you check the garage? Attractive window treatments are going to cost considerably more, but a cheap draw-shade or mini-blind, or curains will cost you right at $10. ROI will be variable on the location of the window, its size, and season. Typically in Texas, West-facing windows should be your first priority, with South-facing windows tied with East for second-place. As such, the carbon emission reduction is also too variable to say, but should be in the 1/4 to 1 ton CO2 bracket.

10.) Replace your HVAC Air Filter. When was the last time you replaced the air filter? Have you ever replaced your air filter? An old clogged air filter can cut your efficiency by as much as 90%!!! Most of the time they're pretty cheap $3-$15, but the cost will really depend on your model of air conditioner. Still, it's a pretty cheap way to reduce your energy costs in the neighborhood of 5-20%, and your CO2 emissions by as much as 1-4 tons.

As you can see, there's a lot you can do for only a few bucks that end up paying for themselves in less than a year, sometimes as early as a month (the next electric bill). My next list will have things you can do for $100 or less.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 02:55 PM
    link   
    I'm sure most of these things have been mentioned in the thread already, but you could "sign up" for the One-Ton Challenge.

The One-Tonne Challenge calls on every citizen in the industrialized world: to reduce your carbon dioxide emissions by one ton or more in a year. The goal is to bring global warming under control by curtailing the release of carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping "greenhouse" gases into the atmosphere.

Our individual efforts are especially significant in countries like the US and Canada, where individuals release 10,000 pounds of carbon dioxide per person every year.

It sounds like a lot. But as you will see, reducing global warming is within our reach. Here’s how people around the world are making a difference.
    www.eartheasy.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 06:15 PM
    link   
    wel if my theory is right!
    just assumed following some rules and law of physics!#
    as well as the current development off tthe soast of ceratin country especially with california recently!

the farmin of fiash using technic involving air bubbles in area such as bay!
    the walls of bubble employed been made from O2!
    well like a an aquarium!
    the fishes as they grow asome are released after groth tto repopulise the ocean as well as Oxigenatinf the water and o9f course releasing some O2 in the atmosphere!

well there is a drastic one using Oxigen liquide which mean air liquide and cool down the north pole and the south pole!
    air liquide is -270C what we call Zero absolute!

other idea can employe petrolium and drilling platforms left to rot on certain bay!
    I saw some near Inverness during my stay in scotland after 2 visits of 3 month!

anyway we can think all together!

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 08:07 PM
    link   
    According to the IPCC it cannot be stopped.

But no one is asking the question why do we want it stopped?

I, for one, am looking forward to it. What can I do to make it arrive faster?

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 08:50 PM
    link   
    You cannot stop Global Warming, it does not exist.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 04:17 AM
    link   
    I know we can not stop it but we can at least do something to replenish the Ocean in someway and slow down a process!
    to be defeatist and still destroying is not a good technic isn't it!

then you better sit and watch to have certain event and the suffering of certain people activate your discussions or gossips?

then if you say it can not stop!
    you are the one who does not regulate central heating by putting 2 jumper on instead of heating!
    or not using your car!
    or recycling all items such as cans, bottle the lot!

I was not talking about stopping as we do live in a world that comprise more than one species! not all human but all animal as well as other!

well lets put it these way Soup primordial started as cloudy full of microbes or cells that multiplyied with heat element of the sun! and grew! becoming what we have around!

[edit on 26-2-2007 by deedub6]

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 09:08 AM
    link   
    Actually Global Warming, to a degree, cannot be stopped, this is correct. A century of increasingly worsening levels of pollution are already affecting the climate in ways we cannot possibly hope to avoid. However, the damage and degree of the impact of global climate change can be affected by mankind.

Some people, like etotheitheta choose to bury their head in the sand, and deny scientific fact, and feel that by simply stating "global warming doesn't exist" that somehow the whole problem will go away. If that kind of attitude is prevalent enough, we, the human race, can kiss our asses goodbye. Thankfully, not everyone is so incredibly ignorant.

This is no longer a partisan issue, this is not a red vs blue, democrat vs republican, or a liberal vs conservative issue. For those of you who realize this is a responsibility of the human race for the very survival of yourselves, it is time to do your part and take an active role in the stewardship of your air, water, and land. This is no longer a problem that can be shrugged off and left for the next generation to handle.

In all probability, if enough people refuse to acknowledge or do anything about the problem, there won't be a next generation to leave it to.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 05:42 PM
    link   
    Seeking for solutions here I found something good and something bad, first the bad;

Geothermal Energy not as safe as thought. Test in Switzerland triggers 3.3 quake. 2/19/2007 link; www.telegraph.co.uk.../news/2007/02/18/wquake18.xml
    "Swiss prosecutors are investigating a green energy project after it was revealed that it caused earthquakes."
    however; "Similar projects have been tested in Australia, Japan and the United States, but none of them caused the same reaction. Earthquakes of such magnitude are not known to have been caused by human activity before."

The good thing;

- MAJOR, MAJOR NEWS -

#1: On 2/15/2007 "Dennis Lee announced to associates that A newly discovered Modification to their new Pre-Ignition Catalytic Converter® technology applied to small engines, virtually eliminates ALL pollution in ADDITION to major increase of mileage performance. It should be noted that small moped and lawnmower engines contribute 75% of all internal combustion engine pollution to the planet. A working motor scooter has already been demonstrated to a representative from the US Government exhibiting the same full power of a conventional engine. It has also been discovered to work on larger vehicle engines. Modifications for that improvement are now under aggressive development"

read also my suggestion www.abovetopsecret.com...
    in this thread; www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 26-2-2007 by Ghaele]

posted on May, 31 2007 @ 03:38 PM
    link   
    The time for half hearted measures is long gone, the carbon will remain in the atmosphere for centuries unless we remove it. Reversing global warming is a simple, sequester the carbon. Plants grow by consuming carbon and vast areas of earth (deserts) have very few plants because they lack water. The ice caps and glaciers are losing enough water to irrigate the deserts, we have the technology to bring this extremely pure water to the deserts. A close look at the NOAA CO2 chart clearly shows that the CO2 level actually drops during the northern hemisphere summer. This drop is because the northern hemisphere grows more plant life. With the deserts producing millions of square miles of new biomass the drop would become year round. I proposed this plan to Michael Oppenheimer (head of the US global warming study) and he agreed that it would work but that it would be too expensive! To expensive to save earth? Greed has become a disease that we humans can no longer afford. If a billion people would pool their resources we could do this without government or corporate help. With the deserts in production there would be places where refugees could go to live rather than squalid third world camps. Eventually the polar ice caps and glaciers would recover once again restoring balance to the earthly ecosystem. I was raised under KISS, keep it simple stupid, it is an idea that humans need to learn.

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 12:03 AM
    link   
    How about...

...blog about these steps
    ...link to your blog in your sigfile on other boards

Remember, spreading the awareness is part of the game.

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 08:32 AM
    link   
    A simple and personal theory.

it IS extreme, it is radical and I'm guessing that no one will want to do it but it is the one way that will truly work.

buying energy saving cars, getting solar panels and buying organic food is great and will help the issue but we will still be using fossil fuels, first to make these products (the machines or synthetic ones at least) and also to transport them. it may seem strange, but i have noticed that the reason for food prices going up is because it costs more to shift it, why, you guessed it... OIL. as long as this mother of all warmth is about we are destined for some kind of doom. whether it be economic collapse, global warming or global dimming or ice age what ever. to remove it now would collapse everything, to leave it would collapse the world (for us at least) which from what i have seen is not quite as important to consider as economy, the logic bewilders be on this one.

so what should we do to get rid of this monster once and for all, to leave us green house free for ever and a day? well, like i said the answer is not very pleasant. simply put, get rid of civilization!
    well ill add that my view on this is to remove it altogether, to live in the stone age like mother earth prefers it. but thats just my view. a more practical solution is to live slightly higher in the time scale, the middle ages for instance. maybe a little earlier.
    it will happen somehow whether you like it or not. oil will run out and when it does, and if we don't have a good replacement (which we don't yet) then its out hunting wabbits with ya bow and arrow to feed your kids and wife back in the shack.

in summery, if you want to do your bit, live a vegan life, don't use anything that uses oil in its production or usage and you'll be the one doing the world some good.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 08:49 PM
    link   

Originally posted by thelibra
    This thread is not about debating Global Warming's existence. If you want that, go to another thread, please. What I need are ways to reduce energy consumption and greenhouses gasses, at an individual level, for no-cost, low-cost, and medium cost with long term savings.

I would prefer this be something people are actually capable doing, an activity they can do, a product they can buy, or an item they can make, or a method they can implement. I would also appreciate a link as well as an approximate cost.

As for the why, let's just say I woke up last night and realized my family has been standing on a railroad track, watching a train coming, and instead of getting out of the way or stopping the train, we've been debating about the nature of the train and how fast it was approaching. I'm now starting a network of people like myself who don't have a lot of money but want to do what they can to make a difference.

So far I've got:

• Switch to energy efficient light bulbs (like compact flourescent and LED)
  • Repair and caulk your windows inside and out.
  • Use a clothes line instead of a dryer whenever possible.
  • Buy a Toyota Prius or a Honda Insight
  • Bike or Walk whenever possible
  • Buy produce from the local farmer's market instead of the grocers.
  • When you have to buy an appliance, buy an energy-star or equivolent appliance.
  • Lobby city, state, and federal government for legislation to make Global Warming a front-of-the-line issue.
  • Play a board game instead of watching TV.

[edit on 2/5/2007 by thelibra]

• The meat industry is one of the major causes of wastage of energy,as 80% grains are used to feed animals for slaughter!Meaning so much energy is required to transform grains into animals,which also are full of antibiotics/drugs,which are bad for our bodies.In order to cater for the growing industry,forests have to be cleared,and this means less oxygen for the planet,and more desertification later on!
    Oranic farming of vegetables,combined with cow protection,would make more employment,more tasty veg and fruits/milk,less karma=more rain and good weather!
    goveg.org

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 10:05 PM
    link   
    You guys are following a communist mindset that will not make a dent in the global warming problem (if it is real).

The Communist reasons, "How best can I live my life that will benefit the overall collective," which is what you are doing, so don't think I am just lobbing terms out there.

While that's admirable, it won't work. Historically, with civilizations, it never has. Humans are individualists.

And eliminating civilization would kill so many people that keeping industry and civilization and letting us deal with the consequences of global warming (if it is even bad) would probably be a better alternative.

Capitalism is the best solution to solve global warming. You want to TRULY make a difference? Drive whatever you want, live in whatever-sized home you like, eat whatever you like, live however you want, but BECOME AN ENGINEER OR SCIENTIST and work to develop new technologies.

For example, back in the early 20th century, a lot of trees had been cut down for farming. But thanks to capitalism and industry, we now have farming equipment that allows us to farm a lot more food with a lot less land, and with a lot less people.

We went from a nation having a load of farmland and most of the population being farmers to a nation with less than 1% of the population producing (using less land!) enough food to feed the entire planet technically.

There are more trees in North America today then there were 100 years ago because of this, because a lot of forest that had been cleared for farming has since been allowed to grow back.

And BTW, trees don't supply the planet's oxygen, most of that comes from algae in the ocean.

The same with oil. In the 1970s, scientists calculated a certain amount of oil left for gasoline. But when carberators were replaced with computerized fuel injectors, the supply of gas (provided the world's oil supply had remained the same) effectively doubled. And since then, more oil has been discovered.

There are loads of new inventions to create.

For example despite how much people adore solar and wind power, you'd need to cover the state of Massachusettes with solar panels to power the current United States. Then there's our future energy needs, which are growing.

In the future, when energy needs start to become too much with our current energy supplies, people are going to go to the energy source that is CHEAP and PLENTIFUL, namely - COAL! Coal is enormously plentiful in the United States, and very cheap.

So new technology is needed.

Whatever engineer or scientist invents solar technology capable of generating a LOT more power for the same cost and size as current panels will have really helped humanity, as we then really could start replacing coal plants maybe.

Or create a pollution-free car.

Or heck, re-engineer coal plants so that they burn coal and create CO2, but that CO2 is somehow stored somewhere.

The same technology used to make internal-combustion engine cars could be used on said coal plants or vice-versa, who knows.

Or design an internal combustion engine that uses a lot less fuel but makes more power.

Plus the fact the not only will creating something extraordinary make you famous, but it also might make you rich!

You could work at engineering energy-efficient buildings, maybe create a new form of gasoline that is a lot cleaner-burning but doesn't cost much to produce, etc...the sky's the limit!

Doing these things is how to really help humanity. You drive a Prius, don't eat hamburgers, not watch TV, etc...you are just suffering while not making one dent.

[edit on 11-6-2007 by WheelsRCool]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join