It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Should not be allowed to vote?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ste2652
I think the restrictions we have in place already are fine. Any extra and it's debatable as to whether you could actually call this country a democracy.

Well that's debatable at the moment anyway!

Did you know that people in N.Ireland can't vote for who makes up the UK government? Labour won't stand here officially (we a few 'labour' candidates) and the Conservatives are hopeless. Of course this is due to our sectarian voting system here, which is why I don't vote myself. If I could vote for Dave or (Gordon is it?) then I'd take more of an interest.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimboman
Did you know that people in N.Ireland can't vote for who makes up the UK government?

I was always under the impression that the mainstreanm unionist party was essentially affiliated to the Tories, (they could at least always "count ontheir suuport"), and the SDLP effectively aligned itself with Labour which was why the main parties did not stand against them.

Is that over simplistic?

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spuggy
Because a prisoner has theoretically broken the law doesn't suddenly turn them into an anarchist unwilling to obide by the rules of society.

Yes, I accept that my point of view was a generalisation but whilst prisioners are not necessarily anarchists thay have attempted to cherry pick which rules and laws apply to them which is not acceptable.

It is one of the fundamental tennants of a democracy that you change the rules by consent. If you aren't prepared to work with the system why should you be allowed to have a say in how it operates?

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by timeless test

Originally posted by jimboman
Did you know that people in N.Ireland can't vote for who makes up the UK government?

I was always under the impression that the mainstreanm unionist party was essentially affiliated to the Tories, (they could at least always "count ontheir suuport"), and the SDLP effectively aligned itself with Labour which was why the main parties did not stand against them.

Is that over simplistic?

It still doesn't make it an ideal situation though, does it? Mainly protestants vote for the unionists (UUP & DUP) and catholics for the SDLP and Sein Fein. Voting along tribal lines isn't a good example of democracy.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 07:48 AM
link   
"If you aren't prepared to work with the system why should you be allowed to have a say in how it operates?"

I don't buy your argument.
I don't see how someone negates their right to operate within a democracy because they have broken a law within that democracy, if that were true, everyone who's ever speeded, smoked a spliff, taped music of the radio or downloaded it off the internet, photocopied more than 10% of a journal argument, urinated behind a bush or got drunk and acted like an arsehole would be in your opinion ineligible to vote.

Alternatively you're saying you can do all these things and still vote unless you get caught... that seams to negate your point.

Or are you saying only crimes of a certain magnitude should negate your right to vote in which case which crimes and how are they defined ? Does someone convicted of selling peerages in exchange for party donations get to vote but a rapist doesn't ?

Is anyone who is convcted of a crime prevented from votng or only those considered a danger to public and incarcerated ? Does this still hold up if the person incarcerated is put there because theyre violent whilst the person who pays a fine but is set free is charged with a political crime ?

Sorry I don't buy your argument.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spuggy
Or are you saying only crimes of a certain magnitude should negate your right to vote in which case which crimes and how are they defined ? Does someone convicted of selling peerages in exchange for party donations get to vote but a rapist doesn't ?

Like I said, it's very far from a perfect arrangement, but in general, yes I do believe that you can make a case for saying that if you have commited a crime serious enough to warrant a custodial sentence then you should be prohibited from voting during that period of incarceration.

I don't think that you should have carte blanche to pick and choose when you want to be a full member of the community.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I understand what you're saying, I'm simply not sure I can agree with the contention that someone who commits a crime is automatically exempt from society or is demonstrating an unwillingness to participate like everyone else in aspects of society other than that which was regarded as criminal.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Certainly prisoners

Posters have mentioned drug addicts. If you are being prescribed drug replacements, sorry NO Vote.

No longer resident in the country. If you have decided to live aboard, then guess what, NO Vote.

Not paying tax.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join